Foot Stool

Started by ncognito, July 07, 2008, 06:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been using a foot stool for maybe six months now; it has helped in many ways.  I play seated.  The stool is adjustable and postions your left leg a bit higher (right leg if you're a lefty) so that your posture is more condusive for sustainable comfort.  It even helps when I play the dread for a good while.  It also helps me play more cleanly and with less effort.  Ever since I began to focus on improving at fingerstyle, the stool has really come through for me.  Has anyone else tried a stool?  This one is made by Ultra and is made of rubber and metal and sells for around $15.-, other brands come in wood.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

I've got back and shoulder problems and have found that using my adjustable desk chair works great (I took the arms off). Of course this isn't very practical for hauling around to gigs but is great for at-home playing.
1978 L10 Deluxe with Pegasus Inlay
1977 Mossman Great Plains
2004 GoldTone PBS-DLX

at home I use two books stacked up. I'm thinking about buying a foot stool.
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Quote from: lw216316 on July 07, 2008, 11:47:10 AM
at home I use two books stacked up. I'm thinking about buying a foot stool.

I also use a book. Working in IT means that I have a lot of out-of-date computer books around. Right now my foot is resting on the Oracle 8 Bible; it's probably the most useful task the book has fulfilled since I bought it.  :bgrin:

I looked around at guitar stools and couldn't justify $50-100 for a cheaply constructed steel stool without adjustable height. I'm thinking I might build one myself and then keep the book idea until something else comes along. Feel free to share your stool construction plans.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

I sawed the legs off of a normal size barstool at the point were there was a set of cross braces for sitting on. I'm 6 ft. so this brings me down and my legs are up a little but it is a variance that helps at times. Last nite I slouched back on a leather couch and stuck my left or right foot on a heavy chest. Switching to which leg would cause the least nerve reactions on up into my neck.  It's a joy gettin old.
    I think I see a footstool and my desk chair modified in the near future, thanks for the thread and good advice. Danny