OM-02 Made with Sapele back and sides

Started by Hughmoz, December 04, 2017, 04:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a May 1999 Larrivee OM-02 with Sitka Spuce top and Sapele back and sides with an African Ebony fretboard and Honduran Mahogany neck that was made when Jean Larrivee was experimenting with different woods. Larrivee Guitars told me this today after I sent the serial number and a load of photos to them and a request for the specification on the woods used. Apparently the odour from the acidic wood was too strong for their staff as, the workshops humidity air control system when recirculating air was too much for them. What I want to know is whether that devalues the guitar or makes it rarer? It is in virtually unplayed condition and no marks on it.

It should not devalue it.  There are many, many special edition runs of Larrivee models with alternative woods so it likely will not make it more valuable either.  I almost purchased a D model with Sapele back/sides a few years back, it was a very nice guitar and sounded great.  I have an All Wood guitar with Sapele back/sides and it has not been a health hazard for me LOL....
George

Like George says, it doesn't devalue it, but...  it doesn't make it some rare find that's worth a bazillion dollars either.  It is an OM-02, nothing more nothing less.

And, like many hardwoods, it's the working of the wood (sawdust, vapors released by sawing and planing) that is harmful. 

Ed

Post some pictures please :gotpics:  I have an O-01MH made in 99 and a D-02 made in 2000. I think they are both South American mahogany from the looks.

Still I'd like to see yours.

Quote from: eded on December 04, 2017, 06:33:28 PM

And, like many hardwoods, it's the working of the wood (sawdust, vapors released by sawing and planing) that is harmful. 

Ed

Yup the sawdust is a nasty allergen much like cocobolo dust.

As has been said, it does not really affect the value, one way or the other.  Larrivee has used a large variety of woods and, generally, they still fall within a certain price range, save for certain desirable exotics like Madi and Braz rosewood, etc.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.