Vintage Larrivee value?

Started by serge77, April 07, 2017, 08:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Everyone!   :donut :donut2 :coffee :bgrin:

So complete noob here.  I have a guitar my father gave to me and I have been holding onto it for years and would like to sell it.  Although I have no idea what it's worth.  From what I can tell by looking at the label inside the guitar it was made in 1977.  Aside from that I don't know the model or any other way to tell you about it that might be helpful. 

I will post a few pictures.  Feel free to tell me to take more if you think it would be helpful.   I shot a little bit of video as well just incase it is more insight than just the pictures. 

https://youtu.be/kBby81M3JnM

What I'm looking to get some insights on is what the value of this thing is so I will know what to ask for it.  If you have any other suggestions on selling it as well I would very much appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks,
Serge
:gotdonuts:
Donuts for everyone!

I watched your video, which helped a bit more to show the condition of the guitar. The few nicks and bumps it has are very normal wear for a guitar that age; even the crack isn't a big problem, but it does keep the guitar from being in "excellent" or pristine condition. However, a very cool older Larrivee - I think it's a nice guitar - if I wanted a Larrivee nylon string, I'd be interested!

A couple things that would be helpful for selling it: if you or someone could play it in the video - this would give folks an idea of the tone, but also of the "action" (how high the strings are off the neck/frets); the action looks okay, but it's hard to tell without actual measurements - best place to measure is at the 12th fret from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret board (in 64ths of an inch... so 4/64, 5/64, etc.).

It's a standard Larrivee Classical (nylon string); you're correct, built in 1977. Nylon stringed Larrivees have a much smaller market than steel stringed Larrivees from that (or any) era.

I'm guessing a realistic price expectation is anywhere from $1,000 - $1,500. But it might be lower than that even (partly because of the crack and partly because it's a nylon string classical, not a steel string). There is someone trying to sell a much fancier Larrivee nylon string on Reverb.com - it has a cutaway, and I think it has some other "bling" on it, like abalone inlay). She's asking around $2,999 - waaaay too high - and, sure enough, it's been listed on Reverb for a long, long time.

Just for comparison, I just bought a '79 Larrivee steel string very similar to yours (but it has some inlays on the fingerboard and a "cameo" inlay on the headstock). It had been on consignment at a store for almost 2 years at $1,599. I paid $1,000 for it - with the knowledge that it needed a neck reset (around $450-550).

Hope this gives you a starting point. You can also do a search on Reverb or Ebay to see what nylon string Larrivees have sold for in the past.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

they go for $1200-1500 USD.
if you're lucky.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Welcome to the forum Serge, and thanks for the donuts!

Could I live with the crack.  hmm. Yes, I think I could. I would have it repaired of course.

I am crazily interested in this guitar. I say crazily because I just spent more money on a single guitar than I ever have in my life, combined on all guitars ever purchased, and I still have GAS for a classical. My Larrivee 50th Anniversary is due to arrive soon. I am super pumped about that but your introduction and your father's guitar has captured my imagination.

Where are you located? I would love to play it and inspect the rest of it closely. I live near Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, WI, & Dubuque Iowa is just 2 hours away. etc.

Can you measure the height of the bottom of the strings in relation to the frets at fret 1 and 12 for me?  Also a good close up of the bridge and saddle (a measurement of the saddle height would be nice too. A closeup of the nut would be also a good thing to see.

I am serious about this. I would love to "rescue" your guitar, have to repaired, and I would play it daily.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: headsup on April 07, 2017, 08:59:52 PM
they go for $1200-1500 USD.
if you're lucky.

That's without cracks and usually not so many dings.

Again, I could live with these "character marks" and I would repair the crack of course.

I'm thinking we could make a deal that both of us would be happy with. I just need to know how the neck is as far as not needing a reset, etc.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 07, 2017, 08:57:22 PM
I watched your video, which helped a bit more to show the condition of the guitar. The few nicks and bumps it has are very normal wear for a guitar that age; even the crack isn't a big problem, but it does keep the guitar from being in "excellent" or pristine condition. However, a very cool older Larrivee - I think it's a nice guitar - if I wanted a Larrivee nylon string, I'd be interested!

A couple things that would be helpful for selling it: if you or someone could play it in the video - this would give folks an idea of the tone, but also of the "action" (how high the strings are off the neck/frets); the action looks okay, but it's hard to tell without actual measurements - best place to measure is at the 12th fret from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret board (in 64ths of an inch... so 4/64, 5/64, etc.).

It's a standard Larrivee Classical (nylon string); you're correct, built in 1977. Nylon stringed Larrivees have a much smaller market than steel stringed Larrivees from that (or any) era.

I'm guessing a realistic price expectation is anywhere from $1,000 - $1,500. But it might be lower than that even (partly because of the crack and partly because it's a nylon string classical, not a steel string). There is someone trying to sell a much fancier Larrivee nylon string on Reverb.com - it has a cutaway, and I think it has some other "bling" on it, like abalone inlay). She's asking around $2,999 - waaaay too high - and, sure enough, it's been listed on Reverb for a long, long time.

Just for comparison, I just bought a '79 Larrivee steel string very similar to yours (but it has some inlays on the fingerboard and a "cameo" inlay on the headstock). It had been on consignment at a store for almost 2 years at $1,599. I paid $1,000 for it - with the knowledge that it needed a neck reset (around $450-550).

Hope this gives you a starting point. You can also do a search on Reverb or Ebay to see what nylon string Larrivees have sold for in the past.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks Mikeymac for the detailed reply!  Much appreciated.  I will try and see if I have something that has 64th inch increments to measure the action.  Will also find someone that knows how to play so they can see what the tone is and I can record it so potential buyers can have more information.   

Donuts for everyone!

Quote from: markj on April 07, 2017, 09:12:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Serge, and thanks for the donuts!

Could I live with the crack.  hmm. Yes, I think I could. I would have it repaired of course.

I am crazily interested in this guitar. I say crazily because I just spent more money on a single guitar than I ever have in my life, combined on all guitars ever purchased, and I still have GAS for a classical. My Larrivee 50th Anniversary is due to arrive soon. I am super pumped about that but your introduction and your father's guitar has captured my imagination.

Where are you located? I would love to play it and inspect the rest of it closely. I live near Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, WI, & Dubuque Iowa is just 2 hours away. etc.

Can you measure the height of the bottom of the strings in relation to the frets at fret 1 and 12 for me?  Also a good close up of the bridge and saddle (a measurement of the saddle height would be nice too. A closeup of the nut would be also a good thing to see.

I am serious about this. I would love to "rescue" your guitar, hve to repaired, and I would play it daily.
Hi Mark,
I'm glad to hear you have a love for guitars like this.  I had hoped to grow a similar desire for this guitar since I have many fond memories of my dad playing this instrument.  He was quite talented since music was his major and he even went to Spain study classical guitar.  I remember him playing in church, giving lessons and people would hire him to play at weddings.  But as a teenager when he asked me if I wanted to learn I said "no" like a genius.  So now he passed this down to me, which is like giving a blind guy a paint brush haha. 

If you are really interested in playing this and are willing to drive I live in Collinsville, Il just outside of St. Louis.  I'm not looking to make a killing off this and will give anyone who wants it a fair price.  I will get back to you after I have measured the height of the strings.

Thanks,
Serge
Donuts for everyone!

The wood on back is kinda interesting looking isn't it? Not as straight as most India Rosewood.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Hi flatlander,

Here are a few more pictures of the back for you.  It would be interesting to find out what kinds of wood were used in making this.

Serge
Donuts for everyone!

Serge,

I sent a private message with contact information.

Mark
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

I'm still betting on the b/s being Indian Rosewood, even after seeing the new pictures. Actually, they support that conclusion.

...and BOOM!  I own a Larrivee Classical!    :nana_guitar
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on April 10, 2017, 06:55:11 PM
...and BOOM!  I own a Larrivee Classical!    :nana_guitar

Congrats! Full report when you get it.

Absolutely! It will arrive. First things first, I will clean it up, put a fresh set of normal tension strings on it and play it for a week or two before I hand it over to Bill to repair the crack.

It should be here by the weekend. Then, a week or so later, (or sooner hopefully) the 50th Anniversary will arrive.  Like Christmas in April!
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

I'm packing it right as I speak for you Mark!  I want to see a video of you playing it as well.  :guitar
Donuts for everyone!

Serge,

Just wanted to say that this has been one of the best internet sales transactions I have ever participated in. I've been buying things like this since the very fist days of eBay and your communication, and willingness to go the extra mile by sending photos of the packing process etc, is just awesome.

Thank you!

I hope the USPS is gentle with it...
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

You're quite welcome Mark!  Thanks for buying the guitar and I hope you love it.  You will be getting it Thursday and the way I have packed it you should have it unboxed by Friday haha.
Donuts for everyone!

Quote from: serge77 on April 11, 2017, 11:54:05 PM

You will be getting it Thursday and the way I have packed it you should have it unboxed by Friday haha.

:roll

Good one!

It arrived safe and sound.

It took a while to get that awesome box apart that's for sure.

Here's a quick photo of it hanging around with the 2014 L-03 Custom.

The nut is 52mm. The neck is straight and I did tune it up and played it. Even with the old and rather corroded strings it sounds great and the intonation is right on from top to 12th anyway. Off to see my luthier to have him give it the "once over" before I install new strings...

Thanks again Serge!
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Awesome Mark!  So glad it has a good new home. It was a pleasure talking with you and hope you get years of enjoyment out of it as it continues it's new life with you.  Looking forward to seeing some video of you playing it.
Donuts for everyone!