Artists You Listen To Over And Over Again.

Started by Silence Dogood, March 29, 2024, 10:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The older I get, I find myself listening to music less but playing it more.  But when I do listen I tend to go back to the same few artists over and over:

Jeff Lynne
Enya
Collective Soul

These artists might seem unrelated, but what they all have in common are dreamy melodies and hooks, and overall very beautiful, catchy songs. 

I throw in a few other artists too, but these are the ones I go back to over and over again.  What about you?

I know what you mean about listening less/playing more.
(Well, except that I just had hand surgery that has kept me sidelined for a few months but now in recovery.)
When I do listen, I frequently come back to these artists:
Tom Petty
Little Feat
Mississippi John Hurt
Van Morrison
Steely Dan

I feel the same way. Off the top of my head, my current rotation consists of:
John Hiatt
John Prine
Bert Jansch
Lightnin' Hopkins
The Smiths
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

I listen less, but I wonder if it is partly because different recording formats are around. When I used to put on a vinyl, I used to listen to the whole side at home. With CDs, I just put them on when I'm driving in my car. Now I watch You Tube to see live performances of artists I wouldn't have been able to see in person.

Guitarists: John Williams, Joe Pass, Johnny Smith, Jimmy Bruno, Tal Farlow
Pianists: Valentina Lisitsa, Rorianne Schrade, Horowitz, Josef Hoffmann, Oscar Peterson
Singers: Julie London, Diana Krall

I get burned out so I don't take in the same music, food, movies, etc repeatedly. I'll rotate and, if I really like something, I'll listen to it less often to keep it a really special experience. As far as artists go, there's too many in too many genres to list. I think the only music I dislike is modern pop (incl crossover). To me it's just McDonald's for the mind, unhealthy and lacking in nourishment.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

To name a few in no particular order:

Gordon Lightfoot who wrote all his own charts including the drum parts for drummer Barry Keane.
John Prine
Steve Goodman
Leo Kottke
Lyle Lovett
Bruce Cockburn
Mac MacAnnally
Norman Blake
Colin Hay, going to see him next Thursday night

With the exception of Steve Goodman, I've seen all of these artists perform live over the years and in many cases, multiple times.

I'm seeing Colin hay on April 5th! He's a fantastic performer, and always signs autographs after the show.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: Queequeg on March 29, 2024, 11:13:56 AMI know what you mean about listening less/playing more.
(Well, except that I just had hand surgery that has kept me sidelined for a few months but now in recovery.)
When I do listen, I frequently come back to these artists:
Tom Petty
Little Feat
Mississippi John Hurt
Van Morrison
Steely Dan
I listen to Tom Petty quite a bit as well, particularly his FULL MOON FEVER. It holds a special place in my heart and reminds me of one of the best summers of my life.   

Quote from: StringPicker6 on March 29, 2024, 07:02:56 PMI'm seeing Colin hay on April 5th! He's a fantastic performer, and always signs autographs after the show.
I'm a fan. Have been listening to him a lot lately. Just watched his docu-movie on youtube last night.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I just returned from Colin Hays' solo concert tonight in Tyson Corners, VA and it was a great event. He has several more concerts scheduled in the Northeast through mid April. This was a professional performance with a good mix of songs and stories.

I"m going to see him tonight!!  One of my favorite artists.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts. The stories were as good as the music.

I drove 6 hours to last night's concert in Tyson, VA through snow squalls and rain including my return trip today but it was worth every minute.