Joe Bonamassa

Started by ducktrapper, October 22, 2023, 09:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it just me or is Joe Bonamassa the Taylor Swift of the blues?  :whistling:

I see your point.  His music can come off a bit unemotional and clinical in my ears, and he seems to pump out albums at a staggering rate.  However, I love him for his efforts to keep the blues alive.  He is very active promoting the blues and other current blues players.  He led me to find Kirk Fletcher and Eric Gales, two great current blues players. 

Joe is a guitar-obsessed good dude, whereas Taylor Swift seems like an unemotional corporate robot to me with an army of lawyers and PR staff.  Just my opinion...
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quoteauthor:  =ducktrapper link=msg=482661 date=1698028175]
Is it just me or is Joe Bonamassa the Taylor Swift of the blues?  :whistling:
I enjoy the  blues but I'm not feeling any emotional tug from Joe B.
He's a competent player but he kinda leaves me cold.
I can't speak to the music of Taylor Swift but my 14 year old granddaughter and all her friends think she's the bomb.
 :bgrin:

Quote from: Queequeg on October 23, 2023, 06:49:56 AMI enjoy the  blues but I'm not feeling any emotional tug from Joe B.
He's a competent player but he kinda leaves me cold.
I can't speak to the music of Taylor Swift but my 14 year old granddaughter and all her friends think she's the bomb.
 :bgrin:

He's very good but so is Swift, judging by her success and size of her fan base, but he doesn't touch me like the great bluesmen. And I can only judge Swift by her success since I've almost never heard her. LOL
I'm just an old Muddy Waters kind of guy. When Bonamassa says he'd rather hear Clapton play Crossroads than Robert Johnson, it kind of irked me. I get what he's saying but one doesn't exist without the other. I'd rather hear Clapton or Johnson than him. Or if we're just talking white guitar heroes, SRV or Johnny Winter or Rory Gallagher or Peter Green or Roy Buchanan or Mike Bloomfield or Duane Allman or ... well you get the idea.  :arrow

He's the best and at the same time  least interesting guitar player in the world (to me).  I've thought about this before and it's strange: he's technically brilliant, but his playing does absolutely nothing for me.  Same goes for John Mayer.

One other thing I will point out with Bonamassa is that he blows all his money on guitars and amps and stuff, which is exactly what I would do!!  :bgrin:

Taylor Swift probably has a well diversified stock/bond portfolio with some international and domestic real estate holdings in her LLC off shore bank accounts. BORINGGGGGGG!!!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 23, 2023, 07:39:16 AMOne other thing I will point out with Bonamassa is that he blows all his money on guitars and amps and stuff, which is exactly what I would do!!  :bgrin:

Taylor Swift probably has a well diversified stock/bond portfolio with some international and domestic real estate holdings in her LLC off shore bank accounts. BORINGGGGGGG!!!

What? No drugs? Well, that explains it!  :laughin:

It's a good point. I would be more interested in Taylor Swift if I saw her with a cigarette and a can of Budweiser and laughing out loud with some people. You know, like the real rock heroes used to do it.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 23, 2023, 10:32:49 AMIt's a good point. I would be more interested in Taylor Swift if I saw her with a cigarette and a can of Budweiser and laughing out loud with some people. You know, like the real rock heroes used to do it.

Sure, she's already safely past 27.  :wink:

I don't listen to this type of guitar playing, but I recently read that he said without his dark glasses, nobody would have listened to him LOL. And I listened to Taylor Swift just to see what this was all about, but there is nothing there that interests me.

This comment could quickly devolve into a rant on technology and the internet ruining the creative society, but:  Where have all the angry teenagers gone?  Used to be an angry teenager would learn guitar and write some amazing music with is friends in a garage.  Now they just take their anti-depression meds or plot a mass shooting... 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 23, 2023, 01:25:10 PMThis comment could quickly devolve into a rant on technology and the internet ruining the creative society, but:  Where have all the angry teenagers gone?  Used to be an angry teenager would learn guitar and write some amazing music with is friends in a garage.  Now they just take their anti-depression meds or plot a mass shooting... 

Learning how to play a guitar is hard work when you can just blame the world for everything that ails you. At least, Bonamassa has done that!

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 23, 2023, 01:25:10 PMThis comment could quickly devolve into a rant on technology and the internet ruining the creative society, but:  Where have all the angry teenagers gone?  Used to be an angry teenager would learn guitar and write some amazing music with is friends in a garage.  Now they just take their anti-depression meds or plot a mass shooting... 
Here's some fresh ANGRY for ya.

Probably the best song on a fairly lackluster album. It's a pretty good trick to make it look like their much younger selves are performing the song. Also funny that the Stones are no longer angry young, hell raisers but, instead, chastised older men begging not to catch hell!   :laughin:

I watched No Hard Feelings on Netflix last night and, while it's a pretty silly movie, I have to thank Jennifer Lawrence for doing a completely unnecessary and gratuitous but much appreciated full frontal, beach scene.  :blush: 

Mick's voice is amazingly sounding great. 

No Hard Feelings was a funny movie, I liked it.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 24, 2023, 05:52:12 AMMick's voice is amazingly sounding great. 

No Hard Feelings was a funny movie, I liked it.

It was cute if slight. The best part, to me, was Jennifer's full frontal although I find it hard to believe she was willing to do it in such a unessential film. :blush: