Bruce Cockburn

Started by teh, June 16, 2023, 04:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I had the opportunity to see Bruce Cockburn in Buffalo on Monday night. Dar Williams was the opener and then Bruce came out and played a 90 minute acoustic set. I was fortunate enough to have two friends from Virginia join me and we also saw Mac MacAnnally in November and Richard Thompson in February.

He just released his 38th album and hasn't missed a step in his songwriting or playing ability. He started out the set with his dobro and worked his way through two 6 strings, then a dulcimer and finished up with his 12 string Manzer.

If you get a chance, don't miss this guy.

I've seen my fellow Canadian two times. Once when he started out circa 1971 and then 30 some odd years later. I have a stack of his albums. He's awesome.

Quote from: teh on June 16, 2023, 04:49:59 PMHe just released his 38th album and hasn't missed a step in his songwriting or playing ability. He started out the set with his dobro and worked his way through two 6 strings, then a dulcimer and finished up with his 12 string Manzer.

Was going to ask if he had a Manzer there. Did you happen to notice what the two 6 strings were? A former Larrivee player of course, for those here who may not have known.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on June 17, 2023, 06:51:34 PMWas going to ask if he had a Manzer there. Did you happen to notice what the two 6 strings were? A former Larrivee player of course, for those here who may not have known.

Living in Montreal in the mid 70's, Cockburn (among others) playing Larrivees went a long way towards my decision to get one. In or about 2003, I contacted Ms. Manzer by email after seeing a 1976 Manzer that was virtually identical to my 1975 Larrivee. I just wanted to get her thoughts on the subject, if possible. Unprompted, she said she was in a a rush and had no time to chat but that she had built my guitar. However, it is signed by Jean so I didn't know what to make of that. Larrimanzer? Manzervee?

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 17, 2023, 07:07:40 PMLiving in Montreal in the mid 70's, Cockburn (among others) playing Larrivees went a long way towards my decision to get one. In or about 2003, I contacted Ms. Manzer by email after seeing a 1976 Manzer that was virtually identical to my 1975 Larrivee. I just wanted to get her thoughts on the subject, if possible. Unprompted, she said she was in a a rush and had no time to chat but that she had built my guitar. However, it is signed by Jean so I didn't know what to make of that. Larrimanzer? Manzervee?
There is no denying the vast sphere of influence cast by JCL
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Bruce had both a six and 12 string Manzer. His tech brought another six string guitar out at intermission but I couldn't tell what it was. He was fully engaged with the audience and looked like he was having a great time.

He did walk on stage using two canes and moved slowly but never commented or complained. He wa wearing a trench coat and sat on a stool for the entire set. I see he'll be in Hamilton, Ontario in October and Indianapolis in early November. I will plan to go to one of those shows.

I never cease to be amazed at the influence that Canadian songwriters and players have on me. I would put Bruce Cockburn and Gordon Lightfoot in my top five along with John Prine, Steve Goodman and Harry Chapin.

Quote from: teh on June 17, 2023, 07:47:36 PMBruce had both a six and 12 string Manzer. His tech brought another six string guitar out at intermission but I couldn't tell what it was. He was fully engaged with the audience and looked like he was having a great time.

He did walk on stage using two canes and moved slowly but never commented or complained. He wa wearing a trench coat and sat on a stool for the entire set. I see he'll be in Hamilton, Ontario in October and Indianapolis in early November. I will plan to go to one of those shows.

I never cease to be amazed at the influence that Canadian songwriters and players have on me. I would put Bruce Cockburn and Gordon Lightfoot in my top five along with John Prine, Steve Goodman and Harry Chapin.

Four outta five ain't bad. I've never understood the appeal of Chapin, however. Was he secretly Canadian? Did he play a Larrivee? LOL

The other 6-string he has on this tour is his Collings dread.