Shining up a matte headstock

Started by StringPicker6, March 19, 2024, 01:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: JKruger on March 25, 2024, 07:12:31 PM:donut2  :donut  :donut2  :donut
Sorry.... I forgot to bring these when I posted.
Better late than never. I would have ignored you forever, well, probably, maybe.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I polished an all Koa Parlor, a flamed Maple parlor and a 00-Ventian 12 fret in my time including the headstocks. I only went as far as a semi gloss finish, just enough to take away the dull satin finish. Sort of like a violin finish look and l really liked the result. Unfortunately, I don't think my posted pictures are still on the website.
This is from an old post. (A caveat about Scratch X, someone on AGF claims that silicone is in it and you shouldn't use it but I never had a problem with it):

"I used Meguiar's Scratch X (you can find it at Walmart or an auto supply store) It's  a very fine grit polish for removing fine scratches on car finishes. They came out with a 2nd generation so test it first on a small area so you can make sure it won't affect the finish (I used the 1st generation polish with no problem) Use very soft cotton polishing cloth rags (don't use cotton t-shirts with any print embossed on it or you will scratch your finish) find a comfortable work area where you will not bump or scratch your guitar by accident while you are polishing it out. (I do it on my lap with a towel underneath) As a test, try starting on a small portion of the side of the guitar which isn't obvious, either the back or side. Apply some Scratch-X to that portion of the guitar and slowly rub it in, let dry a bit and then buff it out using moderate circular motions. Take your time and don't expect it to polish out immediately, you will have to repeat the process several times. If you like the result, you are ready to begin. First remove the strings and your tuners, I removed my clear pick guard be caused it replaced it with a tortoise one afterward. If you are leaving your guard on remember polishing the edges along the guard, the bridge and where the neck meets the body are hard corners to uniformly polish so don't abrasively rub back an forth or else you will create an irregular pattern.
 I started out on the back of the guitar polishing out a small area, usually 4-5 inches square, repeat 2-3 times and move on making sure I overlap until I completed the entire side. You will start to get rid of the satin finish and get a semi gloss finish. Be sure to be uniform in your work flow. Once you finish the entire side clean the entire surface with a different cloth with regular guitar polish and inspect your work under a bright light. Look for any spots you missed and make sure it is uniform. If so I then repeat the process using broader areas, and then repeat the process polishing out that entire side of the guitar. The same with the sides, then I do the top. Be extremely careful in the process, don't rush and take your time. I save the neck and headstock for last. When you do the headstock, remove your tuners first or else it will come out irregular and not uniform. Also be careful around your bridge and where the fretboard meets the top. Once done, I will do a super clean with regular guitar polish to make sure I removed all remnants of the scratch X and treat the fingerboard and bridge with boiled linseed oil before I put the tuners on and restring it. Remember you are polishing the existing finish so don't go for a high gloss look cause you are in essence removing your finish to some degree. Halfway thru, you will probably say sh#t what did I get myself into! Just relax take a break and get back to it when you are in a better frame of mind, just remember the clean off the existing scratch x that is on your guitar."

Hope this helps
Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Composite Acoustics Cargo
UnclRob's Parts Telecaster

This helps, thanks! I'm planning on doing my headstock soon, and I'm a bit nervous.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R