Guyatone Speed Cable?

Started by dbirchett, October 10, 2005, 01:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I asked a question about this (without mentioning the brand or model) on Hangfire's query about volume controls but thought it might get buried there.

This is a cable with a volume control built into the plug.

http://www.guyatone.com/other/speedcable.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM00/Guyatone/EDM-1.html

Anyone have any experience with these?
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I haven't used this specific model...

IMHO, I don't like reducing the gain of the signal coming out of your guitar before you get to the preamp. It's the best way I know to introduce noise into your signal chain. This is not so much of a problem with an active PU, but almost certainly will be a problem with any passive type.

I use a PADI with a volume pedal connected via the insert jack. This way my guitar is buffered properly by the PADI and I have a hands free way of tweaking the volume (or for wah effect).

Another point, if you are going to be changing your volume levels while on stage, give the sound guy a heads up. It can be hell to be doing sound for someone that is constantly raising and lowering their volume level. :UND>
Ron

Ron, I understand what you are saying, but is this any different than a volume control on an electric guitar using non-active pickups, assuming the acoustic pickup does not need a preamp in the first place?  :huh:
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Don,

There is a large difference in the output impedance of a passive electric guitar (250 KOhm) and that of a passive UST for acoustic(1~4 MOhm). Higher impedance means a relatively small current flows but a relatively large voltage is present. It creates greater noise problems, and this factor and the eventual loss of high frequencies limit the options you have when cabling the guitar to the amp. Using a device to further lower the signal and you further degrad ethe signal to noise ratio.

Now if you are using a UST with onboard electronics then it is not so much an issue. The on board preamp acts as a buffer to the USt and amplifies the signal to a much more respectable level. The output impedance is considerably lower as well.

Because amplifying am acoustic are equal parts science/art/voodoo, I would take your guitar to a dealer and try before you buy.
Ron

Thanks for the response Ron,

I am using a Dean Markley Sweet Spot which is very loud for a passive UST. It does not need or use a preamp. I can't find any output specs but it seems as loud or louder than my electrics. Right now, I have one of the Schatten Black Boxes on order. We'll see how it does before I try a cable, but I like the concept.

I am not up to speed on impedance and output. Are there different considerations at work here?

I would not dream of using it before a preamp for the pickup, if it needed one. I was thinking of the preamp section in the amplifier.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I have just been in touch with the folks at Dean Markley and they were familiar with the Guyatone cable and indicated that it works very well with the sweet spot. They indicated that the output was high enough that hum or noise would not be a problem.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan