OK, WE love our Larrivees, what else do you play?

Started by DaveyO, September 13, 2013, 01:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm down to my Larrivee C-10, an Aria AD-80, and a 1964 Martin D-21.
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

No matter what I play, either owned or not owned, my Forum I OM-03MT hogtop is still my go to favorite guitar to play.  But I've got a cool sounding Eastman OM mahogany short scale and I'm a big fan of Green Mountain guitars, a small boutique builder.  I am having an OM built, I currently have a Green Mountain sloped dread fanned fret walnut that sounds amazing.  It's actually for sale b/c no matter how much I try, I just don't do well with that size guitar.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Seems I go in cycles when it comes to playing different guitars.  And it also depends on which guitars are newer, what situation I'm in regarding playing or practicing with a group or band,  which one(s) I've tweaked recently, etc.

For example, in the last 6 months and not counting my 2 Larrivee's, the acoustics I've played the most are my 2 Norman B-20's (Mr. Sunshine, and it's recently acquired 12-string sister).

As for electrics and excluding my Larrivee Forum V, my Gretsch pro-jet and my recently acquired Peavey semi hollow body which I installed Larrivee pups in, have gotten the most play.  My Warmoth Tele and MIJ Squire strat have gotten the least. 

When I think about it, it's kind of silly to have as many guitars as I do.  Some of them only get played every few months or so.  I get them out to see how they are doing in terms of truss rod adjustment given the change in seasons, and to remind myself how they sound and play.  I would have a hard time saying which ones I like the best.  I just appreciate that they are different.  My goal is to set them up so they play and sound to their full potential.  So I'll get them out, tweak them, play them for a few days, then put them down and pick up another one for a few days.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I'm still rolling with my Eastman E20D. Definitely has gotten better sound over the last 2 years and glad I didn't sell it.

I can borrow a friends 70's Martin D35 or D41 if I need to.  That D41 is beat up, but sounds amazing!
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Besides a Larrivee OMV-03K, I play a Bill Tippin OMT, a Bill Collings OOO-1ASB, a David Webber Roundbody, a Santa Cruz FS, a George Lowden O23 and a Dan Biasca classical.

Oskar Graf, Godin, Larrivee: Canadian pedigree  ONLY for me
here's a few, there's more around here somewhere.
like all the other Larrivee's but it's not about Larrivee's correct?
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Do you mean what guitars we'd love to play or what we actually play?  :bgrin:
For acoustics, I love European guitars as there are Lakewood, Lowden, McIlroy, BSG and some other smaller builders. Larrivée is the big exception. At the moment, I am playing my old faithful Lakewood acoustic. But my Larrivée should arrive soon, hopefully.
Cheers
Tom

Quote from: headsup on September 19, 2013, 09:52:58 AM
Oskar Graf, Godin, Larrivee: Canadian pedigree  ONLY for me
here's a few, there's more around here somewhere.
like all the other Larrivee's but it's not about Larrivee's correct?
That Friend is quite a Herd!!!!!!!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Well I sold my Tiple, Guild F20NT, Yamaha FG460-12A, and Taylor Baby at a guitar show last week so besides my CS-05 I am left to:
Godin Nylon Multiac, Takamine F360S & F385-12, Ovation Std and Custom Balladeers, Taylor T5 / K22 / & GS Mini, Gold Tone Roundneck / Banjitar / Guitarmando, Fender Roland Strat, G&L Legacy Strat, two acoustic and two electric builds..........  I am sure I am leaving something out. 

(I feel very blessed)
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 19, 2013, 11:35:48 AM
That Friend is quite a Herd!!!!!!!!!!

herd? you wanna see herd?
i was seriously into sunbursts 2 years ago, a few these have gone, and been replaced by Canadian made guitars.
Like over 50?

I love the burst on the Guild,is/was that a JF30?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on September 19, 2013, 03:10:57 PM
I love the burst on the Guild,is/was that a JF30?

There's actually 3 Guilds there, but I suspect you're asking about the mini jumbo? the front one?
Had a chat with George Gruhn about that one, he feels pretty much responsible for the introduction of that guitar, and a few other cool things at Guild, unfortunately, he's pretty bitter about not being acknowledged for his contribution to the company.

I think he said they only made 187 of them. Nice big maple sound, a tad brittle, and lacked sustain, at least the Larrivee sustain I love so much.

The other two Guilds are the fallen angels of the Fender mistake, BOTH nice guitars, one was rosewood, the other mahogany, had the psuedo fixed neck with the inside bolt on for neck angle. I guess it was a failure, again I liked them both, but neither could ever hold a candle to the JCL's so, out the door they went.
Like over 50?

I've been a Taylor guy for quite a while, but have been venturing into some other brands lately.  There are so many great guitars out there  :nana_guitar
Q:  How many guitars are enough?

A:  Just one more.

Was looking to try single coils so found this used Bob Logan Custom  tele style, Wilkinson P.U.'s and nitro finished northern ash.

It's become my leave out and noodle on year-round and I've become a P-90 fan ,  Pepper not so much tho.
Big Logan fan club on TDPRI and lots of happy owners. 
L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)

Martin M36
Gibson J45
Gibson J35
Larrivee L-03-12
Masterbilt DM500MCE

My Martin 000-16SRGT custom from My Favorite Guitars.  It's a sweet combination with the Forum IV.  One is an all mahogany 00 and the other is a EIR/sitka 000.  Both are 12 fret neck guitars and have 1 3/4" nuts. 

Quote from: DaveyO on September 13, 2013, 01:09:01 PM
I just bought a Taylor 410, to go with my Larrivee
My Larrivee is still number 1 though.
just wondering what you all  play besides your Larrivees and
weather you like the  same nut widths on your guitars.
thanks
Dave

Typically, I like the 1-3/4" nut but my Rod Schenk has a 1-13/16" nut that I really enjoy, too. I'm totally fingerstyle if that makes a difference.

Congrats on your new playmate for your Larri.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I've been cheating on my Larrivee's quite a bit.  Mostly playing my KoAloha Pineapple Soprano.

These uke's are very addicting...

JordanK

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Quote from: ffinke on January 18, 2014, 11:22:50 PM
Typically, I like the 1-3/4" nut but my Rod Schenk has a 1-13/16" nut that I really enjoy, too. I'm totally fingerstyle if that makes a difference.

Congrats on your new playmate for your Larri.

I love Schenk's! I played a left handed OM Orphirio with An Adi top and rosewood. The sound was incredible.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte