New Larrivee owner

Started by bsman, February 27, 2024, 05:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The local Larrivee dealer (Spruce Tree Music) in Madison is having a sale in Feb - 20% off all guitars - and I figured I'd stop in and take a look.  I don't really NEED another guitar, but I'm always curious and was really looking for something in a larger-bodied, 14-fret guitar since my two main players are a Rainsong Short (12-fret OM-size) and a Waterloo WL-12MH (12-fret OO-size).  I was specifically interested in Larrivees because although they weren't common in the Bay Area where I lived from the 80s until last year every one I'd ever picked up has played and sounded great.

After playing about a half-dozen guitars I kept going back to the Larrivee D-40R "12-Fret Dreadnaught Special".  It's really different than either of my other main players and way louder.  I ended up walking out of the store with it, so now I have a new conundrum - which of my guitars will I move out to make room! 
You have the right to free speech...as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it

:donut  :donut  :donut  :donut2  :donut2  :donut2  :coffee

Congrats, enjoy it forever.

There's ALWAYS room for *one more*.  :humour:
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Congratulation on the new Larrivee. This new instrument interests me greatly. The dealer I work with has 2 coming in at an undetermined time. The rosewood instrument is pre-sold, and I am interested in the mahogany one. I like 12-fret instruments. Maybe give us a review after you get familiar with it. I used to own 2 Waterloo instruments and I always wanted the mahogany instrument bur never found one in a lefty model. I thought it was the best hog I had heard based on demos. I guess it depends on you r repertoire. I only got rid of my Waterloo's because of what I played and also the Jumbo King had a severe neck. Congratulations on the new Larrivee.

Congrats! Cool story.
I'm also in the "which guitar is going to go" conundrum... I was there about 5 guitars ago.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: Rockysdad on February 27, 2024, 05:25:58 PM:donut  :donut  :donut  :donut2  :donut2  :donut2  :coffee

Congrats, enjoy it forever.

There's ALWAYS room for *one more*.  :humour:

Well, since the actual number of guitars I own has always been a closely guarded secret (from Mrs. bsman) we shall see!

Anyway - this one is somewhat unusual (in my experience) for a Larrivee - the binding is redwood around the body (as opposed to the normal maple I've seem from Larrivee) while the fretboard is unbound.  The headstock has the vine inlay while the fretboard is more subdued - consisting of small diamonds.  It also has rope or h erringbone purfuling around the center hole and body.  All in all pretty restrained but quite lovely.  I'll take photos eventually - something I seem to say a lot!
You have the right to free speech...as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it

It's not real until we have photos!  :beer

I found this video of the Larrivee D-40 12-fret Special. I just like the proportions of the 12-fret neck connection so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESLV8sy0Tg

I'm not usually a fan of the more scalloped bracing but check out the sound of this beast!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QecmoG91Ko&ab_channel=FabrizioTeodonio

Is this guy on here?

I checked the website in the original post but found it very hard to see what's in stock and at what price. Anyway - welcome to the family!
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on February 29, 2024, 04:50:04 PMI'm not usually a fan of the more scalloped bracing but check out the sound of this beast!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QecmoG91Ko&ab_channel=FabrizioTeodonio

Is this guy on here?

I checked the website in the original post but found it very hard to see what's in stock and at what price. Anyway - welcome to the family!

I have seen this video. Well, Mr. BOWIE did say the SD-40 was a beast in terms of sound. Of my three Larrivee dreadnaught's, I kind of go to my Sd-40RW first. That 12-fret connection just makes the fretting arm so comfortable. It is just as loud as the other two and with an easier fingerstyle picking response and more open sound.

Finally got around to taking a couple of snaps and the weather cooperated!

I've been playing it in rotation with three other acoustics lately (Rainsong Shorty, Waterloo WL-12MH, Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II P90) and it is the loudest, no contest.  I'm still getting used to it - for me it's more comfy to play this one standing than sitting - but am thoroughly enjoying it.  My only nit is because of the thin finish I'm afraid of leaving it out of the case (where it sits with a humidifier (i.e. sponge)...  I don't have to baby my others like that, but it's a small price to pay for a big sound.

I really like the looks of this instrument. Beautiful rosewood and it just looks so proportionally better having a dreadnought where the body and neck join at the 12th fret. You will get used to sitting with this instrument either in the classical sitting position or on your right leg. I did with my 14-fret dreads. I wonder how this sounds compared to a Larrivee SD-40RW?

Quote from: bsman on March 16, 2024, 12:11:30 PMMy only nit is because of the thin finish I'm afraid of leaving it out of the case (where it sits with a humidifier (i.e. sponge)...  I don't have to baby my others like that, but it's a small price to pay for a big sound.
Well, I don't know if you have kids or dogs, but most of my Larrivees are out on the wall, or on a stand.
You will notice over time, that "points of contact" will begin to get shiny, like the satin neck or the body bits where you hold it on your leg, or where your arm wraps over. Any one of us who were to see your guitar in that state would nod approvingly. Have fun.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: bsman on February 27, 2024, 05:16:40 PMThe local Larrivee dealer (Spruce Tree Music) in Madison

During a recent email convo with the Larrivee factory, JR mentioned Spruce tree as a great Larrivee dealer too.
Per their website, the owner Mel Bremmer has been offering Larry's since late 90's.

I plan to visit the shop soon. :guitar
Larrivee '02 OM-03BW

Quote from: North60 on March 26, 2024, 10:00:19 AMDuring a recent email convo with the Larrivee factory, JR mentioned Spruce tree as a great Larrivee dealer too.
Per their website, the owner Mel Bremmer has been offering Larry's since late 90's.

I plan to visit the shop soon. :guitar

I play lefty and they apparently don't stock left hand instruments. But why would you have a website showing instruments but not the price of the instrument?