Who will be the first to sell their Forum III and why?

Started by Sabatini, April 20, 2009, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nor I.
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Regarding intonation, I'm finding that my low E string does not intonate well up the neck - all the notes are sharper than usual - to get them anywhere near in tune I need to make sure my fretting finger is as close to the fret as possible - I know that's just good technique anyway, but as someone else mentioned, it's difficult to get a decent sounding open G chord.

I've noticed that the low E string is sitting a bit high in the slot in the nut, perhaps that would make a difference?

The idea of a luthier intonating a guitar has always been a bit of a mystery to me - the scale length is set, the frets are set - how much can one really do?

Maybe this has all been covered in another thread?

Mike

:waveOK OK I go first and say I'm selling my FIII......wait I didn't buy one.......Oh well. :humour:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on April 21, 2009, 06:45:13 PM
Regarding intonation, I'm finding that my low E string does not intonate well up the neck - all the notes are sharper than usual - to get them anywhere near in tune I need to make sure my fretting finger is as close to the fret as possible - I know that's just good technique anyway, but as someone else mentioned, it's difficult to get a decent sounding open G chord.

I've noticed that the low E string is sitting a bit high in the slot in the nut, perhaps that would make a difference?

The idea of a luthier intonating a guitar has always been a bit of a mystery to me - the scale length is set, the frets are set - how much can one really do?

Mike

These are times I'm grateful to be such a newbie I'd have no idea anything was wrong,lol.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

No plans to get rid of mine.  Arrived at the end of last week.  Love the guitar, the sound---- and it has been a blast watching ----from the design to seeing the craftsmen at the factory turn pieces of wood to these instruments.  And to read and feel the excitement of the entire process.  I feel Blessed with this gift,  and thanks to all involved for allowing me to apart.

I have zero plans to sell mine, but thought I would post about the nut issues on the guitars that is! :roll  I took mine to both 12 Fret (who had a 5 week waiting list for a set up) and Folkway Music (who did it in two). That being said, both places were concerned with the nut. I ended up switching it out to a bone nut.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: lyric_girl on April 21, 2009, 08:10:31 PM
That being said, both places were concerned with the nut. I ended up switching it out to a bone nut.

Did they say what they were concerned about regarding the nut?

If strings were binding I would think a quick pass with a nut file would fix it...and I would have also thought that if the nut needed a fix a dealer set up would take care of that problem. Did you pick yours up in Vancouver or did it go through Jim's shop?
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I'm having Jim put a bone nut on my F-III when it's in. I'll keep you up to date if I notice any intonation probs. Doesn't seem right if so many are experiencing the same thing. A Larrivee prob? We'll have to wait to see how many report a prob & how it should be dealt with. I had already asked Jim to do the nut way before any issues arose (2 months ago). Is it right , if there is an issue more experienced ears are noticing, that all should be dealt with on our own? Should be a warranty prob & dealt with as such. Will almost cost as much to send them back for re-nutting & intonation setup. Is it worth doing on our own or seeing how it's handled by Larrivee. This is a wait & see game, & how many actually come forward with the issue. I ALWAYS have a bone saddle & nut put on before taking it home, even if it has to sit for a while. Had a Martin sit for over a month waiting for a bone saddle & nut after purchase. Didn't get it home until it was done. Worth the wait. 
   And it comes down to the "straight from larrivee' F-III's. The nut will affect intonation. The saddle will affect intonation. If the frets aren't spaced exactly as they should be, especially on a neck that joins the body @ the 12th fret, it will affect intonation. Mike, we're all assuming the necks are fretted properly. If they're off a little towards the neck, it will only get worse as the frets go in towards the body. The distance between the nut & the 12th fret should be equal to exactly 1/2 of the total scale length (nut to saddle). If not, the frets could be the problem. It happens on tooled necks, handmade necks. Just have to be very accurate when spacing the frets. If the CNC machine that makes the fret slots was set up just a hair off @ the first fret, it just gets worse with every fret grooved. Domino effect, just worse. I had mentioned in another post that when a luthier makes a bone nut for an electric, it costs much more. The reason is that he has to make a nut, install it, & then, mess with  the bridge adjustment screws, setting the intonation. Can't do that on an acoustic guitar, so this might be pointing to a fretting issue, unless the nut is setup to compensate for any innaccuracy. Can only do so much with that. The rest is how the saddle is compensated, if @ all. Some have commented on getting Colosi saddles with the low "e" compensated, besides the "b". Some times neither have to be done, esp. the "b". This might be an exception with the low "e" string. I have found that the compensated saddles are over-compensated ("b"string), thus having a straight bone one put on. There is room between the saddle & the nut (by angling the nut ) to do something for any inaccuracy of the frets, if it does exist. The harmonic @ the twelfth fret should be the same as the fretted one # the 12th fret. Also, the fretted note should be 1 octave higher than the open note. If it's not, adjustments have to be made, & then you have to figure out which to work with, the saddle or the nut. Or both. A complicated thing.
   My posts aren't read & taken with too much weight, I'm getting tired of wasting my time typing this much crap, so why don't we have Jeremy explain it in better terms. He's my go-to guy for explaining this stuff. Besides, y'all listen to him & read his posts like they are the word. Jeremy, where are you? The Forum needs you! Send out a signal! Sisto is calling!
     Jeff   :wave

I've been playing the FIII for over a week now and I don't have any intonation issues whatsoever. I don't plan on selling it. I've played guitar for over 35 years and the FIII is a real good sounding instrument. I don't think it meets the quality of my Huss & Dalton OMC or the SCGC, but I also didn't pay as much as I would have for a H&D or Santa Cruz either. All things considered, it's a well made instrument and sounds great. Intonation is not an issue on #22 of the FIII guitar.
Ron
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ron McFarland
highervista

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on April 21, 2009, 06:45:13 PM

Mike

ditto.  Now I have changed the strings, it holds in tune much better, but I am having the above issue.    Intonation is bearable up until around B on the low E string, and then it all goes sharp from there up.

Just as well I only know G,C and D chords then!

Edit - strangely, the more I play it, the better it gets.  I figure it just needs time to settle in, being so new and all.  It sounds incredible with the Newtone strings on it
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Wow!

Thanks to my defenders, particularly Unclrob who I respect a lot.

My question was a simple curiosity.  I am amazed that it was cause for someone to quit the forum.  I have one Larrivée, described in my signature, that I hope never to sell.  But circumstances could force it.

Check the for sale section of the forum.  People do sell Larrivée guitars for various reasons.  70 people eternally satisfied with their FIII guitars would be a statistical anomaly.

Was going to apologize to those I offended, but damn it, I just can't find a reason to.
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

Another good question would be. How much would they resale for? A lot of unique limited run # guitars like this can often sell for more used then they did new.

Quote from: Sabatini on April 22, 2009, 07:15:42 AM

Was going to apologize to those I offended, but damn it, I just can't find a reason to.

:+1: :+1:
Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )

Quote from: Dotneck on April 21, 2009, 09:04:17 PM
Did they say what they were concerned about regarding the nut?

If strings were binding I would think a quick pass with a nut file would fix it...and I would have also thought that if the nut needed a fix a dealer set up would take care of that problem. Did you pick yours up in Vancouver or did it go through Jim's shop?

One dealer was quite concerned about the E and B strings being too high and took a file to it there. Then I took it to the other dealer and he thought it had been filed too low! Ack! No, Bella came home from Vancouver with no set up.

Sabatini, didn't leave. Just pi**** lately @ how things are going on the Forum & handled. Things have changed in the last few months, lots of new members that have found the -03 series, which is cool, & lots of longterm members singing the praises of the -03's also. People need to remember, Larrivee makes many more guitars that sound better, or as lots say, just as good. Will agree to a certain point, but I will agree that the-03 series is the best handcrafted guitar for the $. I'm thinking about leaving, just have to toss it around in my head. Nothing for anyone to be concerned about. Leaving is a personal thing, not an open Forum discussion!
   I have owned & been playing Larrivees for over 15 yrs., will not part with my L-10 because, to me it's the best guitar I have. Could afford more expensive ones & did own some, but, as you can see, they're not here anymore, just my beloved L-10. To those of you new to Larrivee, God bless you for finally finding them. I know more or as much as most of the members, especially about Larrivees. Have owned over 6 (Larrivees,many,many others), have 2 now with one coming: F-III. This should fulfil my guitar needs, but not my need to discuss them. I'm always open to that! I have made lots of friends on the Forum & would leave only under something really bad. I'll just try to lay off posting to try to help & lay back & watch the fun!
     Jeff

I second that.

Jeff, why are you thinking about leaving? Did I miss something? :?

When I said someone left the forum over my post I was referring to obe-wan who checked out on page one of this thread.

Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Sorry about the confusion. Getting a little jumpy lately. And Jim emailed me this morning saying my F-III is in (#47). Whoopie! :nana_guitar
     Jeff

Jeff,

I hope #47 is all you dreamed it would be.  The only Larrivée I have is a 00 sized 12-fretter.  I am not quite sure how that compares to the FIIIs in size but I love it and hope you love the new one you have waited so long for.
Rob Hanesworth