The old TUSQ saddles

Started by AZLiberty, May 27, 2019, 02:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A long time ago, (late 90s) before Larrivee used bone on everything, they used TUSQ with a compensated B string.

Anyone know for sure which saddle that is? 

I'm having a B-band dropped into my O-01 Parlor, and just in case it sucks the sound out of it, I'll need a replacement saddle to go back.

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 27, 2019, 02:03:58 PM
A long time ago, (late 90s) before Larrivee used bone on everything, they used TUSQ with a compensated B string.

Anyone know for sure which saddle that is? 

I'm having a B-band dropped into my O-01 Parlor, and just in case it sucks the sound out of it, I'll need a replacement saddle to go back.

My Tusq saddle from my Larry has a compensated B, as well as 'landings' on the underside of the saddle so you could adjust string to string pressure on the factory installed fishman piezo.  Not sure it would be the right one for a parlor.

I seem to remember that Graphtec actually called out Larrivee by name in their catalog at the time.  The one in my guitar looks like their 'microbalance' line.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Not sure what you mean by "which saddle". Just a B compensated Graphtech Tusq, right? What descriptor were you looking for?
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on May 27, 2019, 09:18:24 PM
Not sure what you mean by "which saddle". Just a B compensated Graphtech Tusq, right? What descriptor were you looking for?

I was looking for a Part number.

I'm guessing its the PQ-9200-CO

PQ-9220-CO seems to be the new one

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 28, 2019, 12:11:55 AM
I was looking for a Part number.

I'm guessing its the PQ-9200-CO

PQ-9220-CO seems to be the new one
Oh, I gotcha now. Can't help with the part number. I a few that were removed from full sized Larrivees in my saddle bin but I don't think they'll fit your parlor.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

The original B-Band is a thin strip which would not interfere with the saddle.
The strip is a good deal thinner than any other piezo that is magnetic.

the clones made in China, are poor quality and not worth buying.
they are also thicker where you would need a new saddle or modifications to existing saddle.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I've spent a lot of time and money over the years swapping out saddles and machines and such.
If I had it to do over again, I'd leave them stock.
For me, good tone is in your fingers to a far greater extent than the strings, bridge pins, nuts and saddles.
YMMV.
:wave

Quote from: headsup on May 28, 2019, 12:02:39 PM
The original B-Band is a thin strip which would not interfere with the saddle.
The strip is a good deal thinner than any other piezo that is magnetic.

the clones made in China, are poor quality and not worth buying.
they are also thicker where you would need a new saddle or modifications to existing saddle.

Error above.  It's an LR Baggs Element.  (picked up here on the classifieds a while ago)
I generally prefer the old Fishmans which are very thin, but I already have this one.