Larrivee OM-60 vs OM-40 or OM-09

Started by lmg47, November 05, 2021, 07:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please educate me about the differences (and similarities) between the Larrivee OM-60 and OM-40 and OM-09

Thanks!

Quote from: lmg47 on November 05, 2021, 07:24:47 PM
Please educate me about the differences (and similarities) between the Larrivee OM-60 and OM-40 and OM-09
Thanks!
Well, not educated about "those" guitars, but your name looked familiar, and yep, you had (or have) one of the Notable LS-03 12 fret silver oak guitars.
We have another regular poster who has one of those as well.
Do you still have yours?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I'd start with the Larrivee Guitar site while you're waiting for replies. Lots of good information there.

I don't own any of these but I believe OM60 and 09 series will generally have better quality wood and appointments. I've seen and heard nothing but positive comments about the 40 series.

Personally I am a huge fan of the 03 series and have two (parlor and LV03MT 12 string) and a third (ForumVI) on the way.

Any way you go, Larrivee has something for everybody and the quality and workmanship is top notch and consistent across the board.

Without meaning to be smug about it, I'd suggest going to the Larrivee page, opening the Acoustic Guitar page and doing the compare option.  You can select all three and it'll give you a side by side comparison of the specs.  As far as hands on, I haven't played all three.

Ed

Quote from: mike in lytle on November 05, 2021, 11:20:38 PM
Well, not educated about "those" guitars, but your name looked familiar, and yep, you had (or have) one of the Notable LS-03 12 fret silver oak guitars.
We have another regular poster who has one of those as well.
Do you still have yours?
Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes,  I did indeed have one but sold it a while back.  Nice guitar but just wasn't my thing.

Cheers!

In general the difference between an OM-3 and OM-9 is that the OM-9 would have premium appointments.  Generally the wood but nicer but there may have been other things like tuners, inlay, etc. Older OM-60's, I think, meant premium appointments as well. 

A while back Mathew Larrivee did a Reddit style AMA, link below. In reply 105 he talked about the Traditional Series.  The OM- 50s, mahogany back and sides and OM-60 IER.  There were released in 2004.  They had larger sound holes and a more traditional look.  There were a number of different models, O, OO, OOO, SD, and D.   According to the thread the 40s models, which have a slight change to the bracing, started around 2006 and evolved in 2009 to their current state.  Check the post for the details.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=50280.100 

If you search the forum or the InterTubes you should be able to find comparisons between the old and new bracing.

I have owned an OM-60 for 15 years or so and have gigged and traveled with it extensively including air travel.  Just sayin' the guitar is a beast.  It is amazing to me how well it has stayed in tune and kept its finish etc.  Just a wonderful guitar.  West Jet left it on the tarmac for to long in -35+ weather in Edmonton and it has two small finish cracks on the top from the bridge to the edge.  I don't what I was thinking,  I usually travelled Air Canada and check it at the plane when boarding.  For whatever reason, that didn't happen that day.  My only regret.  Afterwards, I went out and bought an Eastman to use for those winter months.

I will post some video clips of it next week, so you can see and hear it.
For now, this is something I did 6 years ago.   I am glad that I spent the extra money on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk90F4q1yXI&list=PLxIK-856HpVyyj4p9qFefXX0LKgloKzGm&index=10