Goin' down the wrong road.....

Started by abalone at last, April 26, 2011, 10:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That could be but Smith was always a Gibson head.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I guess I thought PRS once said that his body/design idea came from trying to put a Strat and LP together in one instrument...that makes sense to me as I look at them...and also the 5-way rotary switch tries to capure both single coil and humbucker tones...

...anyway, the original question was why Larrivee hasn't gone more in the direction of Taylor's electrics...hey, different people have different visions of what good tone or good design is, and they follow their muse. That's why we don't all still drive black Ford Model T's...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Went to Yarnell Place yesterday.....got to look around...wow.....saw a bunch of the SD 35's being assembled....got to "fondle" one...and yeah, that's the word I'd use.  If I had an  extra 6K sitting around, I'd get one.  They are very special guitars.

Saw a bunch of the new "tele" style Larry's...very nice axes...amazingly light.  Top notch wood being used.  I'm no tele expert, but it looks like the old style bridge is being used.
Also saw a bunch of RS4's and the new 2's.

Said hi to Wendy (dropped off some of my stash of Ahi tuna for her and Jean) and left some Master's donuts, of course.  Matthew showed me around...he seems to be quite proud of the electrics.

All and all, a very pleasant morning.

Quote from: Walkerman on April 29, 2011, 11:50:27 AM
Went to Yarnell Place yesterday.....got to look around...wow.....saw a bunch of the SD 35's being assembled....got to "fondle" one...and yeah, that's the word I'd use.  If I had an  extra 6K sitting around, I'd get one.  They are very special guitars.

Saw a bunch of the new "tele" style Larry's...very nice axes...amazingly light.  Top notch wood being used.  I'm no tele expert, but it looks like the old style bridge is being used.

Said hi to Wendy (dropped off some of my stash of Ahi tuna for her and Jean) and left some Master's donuts, of course.  Matthew showed me around...he seems to be quite proud of the electrics.

]

Matthew should  be very proud of the electrics. If the RS-4 is any indication, the teles will be very nice indeed. Happy fondling, everyone! 

Quote from: Walkerman on April 29, 2011, 11:50:27 AM

You sure know how to get the juices flowing - and I don't mean for donuts or tuna!!!  :drool:

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 29, 2011, 02:37:17 PM
You sure know how to get the juices flowing - and I don't mean for donuts or tuna!!!  :drool:

Everyone should add to their bucket list a tour of the Oxnard shop.  Seriously....you get to meet Jean, Matthew, Wendy....and most of the other folks who had a hand in making the guitar that you love.  You can bring some donuts, and have someone you never met (but who probably had a hand in making your guitar) say "Hey, thanks for the sugar."
It gives you a totally different perspective on the instrument you own and play.  I have been really lucky in that I have been able to watch and photograph the builds of most of my guitars.  Probably one of the reasons that I would never consider selling one of my Larrivees.  It just seems to me that they have the same love affair with making our guitars as we have with playing them...meeting them is just that "extra connection" with your guitar that adds zen to the equation.

Quote from: Walkerman on April 29, 2011, 05:02:34 PM
Everyone should add to their bucket list a tour of the Oxnard shop.  Seriously....you get to meet Jean, Matthew, Wendy....and most of the other folks who had a hand in making the guitar that you love.  You can bring some donuts, and have someone you never met (but who probably had a hand in making your guitar) say "Hey, thanks for the sugar."
It gives you a totally different perspective on the instrument you own and play.  I have been really lucky in that I have been able to watch and photograph the builds of most of my guitars.  Probably one of the reasons that I would never consider selling one of my Larrivees.  It just seems to me that they have the same love affair with making our guitars as we have with playing them...meeting them is just that "extra connection" with your guitar that adds zen to the equation.

iT'S ON MY LIST. Nice to see you recognize your fortune.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Most of the guitars mentioned try'd not buy'd.............I haven't been able to try a Rikenbacker but I heard there is a wait list for them. The Larrivee electrics i tried were nice but I am about to buy a 2006 prs singlecut. The Larrivee body shape is absolutely brilliant... but I am leaning towards the prs because of equally good tone as the Larri plus it has wood binding and bird inlay and 10 top. By the way prs counter-sued Gibson and won paving the way for Taylor and Larrivee to build les paulish shaped guitars. Again i love the way the Lari electrics resemble the L body shape. Great idea... some day we may see a bigger hollowbody version or one with maple or rosewood binding and fancy inlays. I thought orca shaped fret position inlays wood look great on an expensive L- body electric................  :coffee
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Not so sure about the Counter suit - thought it was lost in an appeal. Without knowing the real detail seemed on the surface a weak suit by Gibson to begin with - the often mentioned smokey bar analogy. Regardless the PRS singlecut is a very pretty guitar and I fully understand your attraction, TO ME tho I just never really cared for the PRS seemed like an inferior guitar to my 80's Larrivees. Now I own Les Pauls, SG's, ES 335 Custom Shop Tele & Strat and even a Rickenbacker 12er now if the house was on fire and I could only escape with 2 gits it would be my RS 4 and the ES.

Anytime someone mentions Semi and Larrivee in the same sentence I  :drool:

Let us know how you make out with your PRS  :beer
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I all acoustic now. But back in the electric days, I tried all kinds electric nice ones. But always came back to American Strats. So a    Larrivee Strat could get me back in the electric world. Most versatile electric every. Second favorite 335's

I think i spelt his name wrong its Luke Doucet and Larrivee already has him as a featured artists. For anyone who didn't realize it Larrivee has a huge list of artists including this guy who goes on to discuss songwriting and music videos

http://www.roxwel.com/player/lukedoucetbrokenonecommentary.html?1=1&detect_bitrate=_2000
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Quote from: abalone at last on May 03, 2011, 08:36:43 PM
I think i spelt his name wrong its Luke Doucet and Larrivee already has him as a featured artists. For anyone who didn't realize it Larrivee has a huge list of artists including this guy who goes on to discuss songwriting and music videos

http://www.roxwel.com/player/lukedoucetbrokenonecommentary.html?1=1&detect_bitrate=_2000

Hmmmmmmmm...I believe it's "spelt" spelled....... :humour:

Thanks for the english lesson walkerman...I knew I  spelled something wrong  :coffee Btw I got the PRS. very sweet  but I saved some cash for another Larrivee...down the road..............
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Just to stir things up - G&L ASAT's and Legacy guitars are the next step up from the Telecaster and Stratocaster.
Too bad they don't get the credit they deserve... especially since Leo Fender was half of G&L!
If Larrivee's 'Tele' improves on the ASAT then I'm in for one!
:donut :donut :donut :donut

Quote from: killerteddybear on May 25, 2011, 09:22:09 AM
Just to stir things up - G&L ASAT's and Legacy guitars are the next step up from the Telecaster and Stratocaster.
Too bad they don't get the credit they deserve... especially since Leo Fender was half of G&L!

The majority of the masses simply can't get past an Electric not saying Fender or Gibson on the Headstock tho PRS with their marketing strategy have made some great inroads on that front. I suspect the Larrivee offering like it's RS 4 will be superior ( thus enjoyed by those who either don't get paid to endorse guitars and those who are able to appreciate the guitar more than the marketing blitzed name on the headstock). It's unlikely to seriously have a market impact without a very agressive marketing strategy. The RS 4 proved this theory in my mind.

I was over at a friends Sunday afternoon for his daughter's h.s. graduation party, and he showed me his G&L Legacy (I think; or S-500). He bought it used on e-bay WITH A SET OF BARDEN PUPS IN IT for around $750!!! Needless to say, it is a beautiful guitar (sunburst over ash body), and the neck is actually pretty hefty; I like bigger necks, so it felt very good in my hands.

I'm sure the Larrivee will be every bit as nice...I got on G&L's website after looking at his, and I may still seek out one of their "Strat" styles, but I'll be going for the Larrivee 'Tele'...

Major G&L fan here .. if they do then I will be extremely impressed.

Mind you they have their work cut out ....

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 25, 2011, 09:50:27 AM
The majority of the masses simply can't get past an Electric not saying Fender or Gibson on the Headstock tho PRS with their marketing strategy have made some great inroads on that front. I suspect the Larrivee offering like it's RS 4 will be superior ( thus enjoyed by those who either don't get paid to endorse guitars and those who are able to appreciate the guitar more than the marketing blitzed name on the headstock). It's unlikely to seriously have a market impact without a very agressive marketing strategy. The RS 4 proved this theory in my mind.
I have SO many musician friends in our area that are like that. Always touting the latest F or G, without even looking at the alternatives. I've been playing guitars since I was 14 ... and that was a very long time ago  :crying: ... uh ......... with plenty of Gibs guitars. And I can say, without a doubt, that my RS4 is superior in every way to any of them. It has even replaced my Heritage Custom Prospect as my main guitar. And I absolutely LOVE my Heritage Prospect. I don't get the whole name brand on the headstock thing, tho'. I'd rather go for quality first, then worry about the name.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Quote from: tulk1 on May 26, 2011, 09:11:53 AM
I have SO many musician friends in our area that are like that. Always touting the latest F or G, without even looking at the alternatives. I've been playing guitars since I was 14 ... and that was a very long time ago  :crying: ... uh ......... with plenty of Gibs guitars. And I can say, without a doubt, that my RS4 is superior in every way to any of them. It has even replaced my Heritage Custom Prospect as my main guitar. And I absolutely LOVE my Heritage Prospect. I don't get the whole name brand on the headstock thing, tho'. I'd rather go for quality first, then worry about the name.

Amen. My RS-4 slays  the competition.

I just checked the scale length on the RS guitars (I love 25.5"). Now I have to go find one...