Different fingerboard dots on a 90's L-09

Started by apell, March 17, 2024, 01:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello..
To round out my recent rash of Larrivee purchases, I've stumbled upon an L09 with larger than I've seen fingerboard dots.  Not sure why I'm passing this along, but have any of you fine folks seen them like this? 

Yes. A lot of older Larrivees have the large dots. I don't know the date range.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I _much prefer_ the look of the micro dots.  YMMV.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on March 17, 2024, 03:12:27 PMI _much prefer_ the look of the micro dots.  YMMV.

And I like a fingerboard with no dots at all.

Quote from: apell on March 17, 2024, 01:42:24 PMHello..
To round out my recent rash of Larrivee purchases, I've stumbled upon an L09 with larger than I've seen fingerboard dots.  Not sure why I'm passing this along, but have any of you fine folks seen them like this? 
It looks like a fine guitar. Being myself not an expert on older Larrivees, or much either on newer ones, have you done the online search for the serial number, so we could get an exact year, or if it is maybe a custom?
We can often look up the older versions of the Larrivee website on archive.org, but Larrivee is older than the World Wide Web.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 17, 2024, 10:20:24 PMIt looks like a fine guitar. Being myself not an expert on older Larrivees, or much either on newer ones, have you done the online search for the serial number, so we could get an exact year, or if it is maybe a custom?
We can often look up the older versions of the Larrivee website on archive.org, but Larrivee is older than the World Wide Web.
Mikeone
Yes, it was built in 1990.  I just haven't seen large dot in this configuration.  The 12th fret dots are very close together.  Looking at it, it is a bit distracting.   I actually haven't purchased it yet as it's a 3.5 hour drive one way from me.  A hike.. Being 34 years old, some concern about neck reset needs, bridge issues, etc.   

Quote from: apell on March 18, 2024, 07:44:50 AMYes, it was built in 1990.  I just haven't seen large dot in this configuration.  The 12th fret dots are very close together.  Looking at it, it is a bit distracting.  I actually haven't purchased it yet as it's a 3.5 hour drive one way from me.  A hike.. Being 34 years old, some concern about neck reset needs, bridge issues, etc. 
Those two dots are odd. Anyhow I was searching for old catalogs and ads, and found a cool thread...
http://www.larriveeforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=43155.msg388548#msg388548
Mike

Also, I was looking for old Reverb listings, and there are several older Larrivees with no dots or microdots on the fretboard. Maybe the dots on the guitar you posted the pic of has stick-on dots? It has been known to add stick-ons to simulate having inlays.