Larrivee Finishes

Started by didymus21, January 30, 2016, 12:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I received this from Larrivee customer support. I thought it'd be great information to have as a sticky, in case anyone was interested.
Edited to update as of October 19, 2023 by Queequeg per J M Larrivee.

Current Finish:
[Regards - john jr.]

Gloss Guitars: Pure Acrylic Urethane hi-sheen Topcoat (Catalyzed), over top of a Catalyzed Urethane Basecoat.
Satin: Pure Acrylic Urethane 10% Sheen Satin Finish (Catalyzed), Over top of a Catalyzed Urethane base coat
WE USE NO POLYESTER ON ANY ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTS

2009-2013
Gloss Guitars: Urethane hi-sheen Topcoat (Catalysed), over top of a UV Polyester Basecoat
Satin: Pure Acrylic Urethane 10% Sheen Satin Finish (Catalyzed), over top of a UV Polyester Basecoat

Approx 1990-2009
Gloss Guitars: UV Polyester Topcoat, over top of a UV Polyester Basecoat
Satin: Pure Acrylic 12.5% Sheen Satin Finish (Catalyzed), over top of a UV Polyester Basecoat

Approx 1983-1990
Gloss Guitars: Catalyzed Modified Varnish Topcoat/Basecoat (Polyurethane Based)
Satin: No satin guitars made during this time

1967 to Approx 1983
Gloss Guitars: Hot Sprayed Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Didy..  great info... thanks for sharing....  BobW 

That is great information.  Thanks for sharing.

So much goes into guitar building that I NEVER think about, but always appreciate knowing when I find out.

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Thanks for this very valuable information. If I  had it a year ago it would have caused me to be more cautious in working on my newest Larrivee.  I'll print this out, but a sticky is a good idea.  :+1:

I really appreciate the information I learn here that is not readily or easily available from other sources.

Quote from: dependan on January 30, 2016, 03:41:49 PM
Thanks for this very valuable information. If I  had it a year ago it would have caused me to be more cautious in working on my newest Larrivee.  I'll print this out, but a sticky is a good idea.  :+1:

I agree dependan. For some reason, I ran into a lot of trouble doing some CA drop fills. I have one from the polyester years that had a pretty destructive reaction. Went to razor level the fill and the finish just crumbled on me in multiple spots--down to bare wood believe it or not.

I'm going to take it as an opportunity to remove the finish completely and try my hand at refinishing. Should be fun if I spread the work out and go slow.
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Thanks.  Very useful information for me.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: didymus21 on January 30, 2016, 10:16:00 PM
I agree dependan. For some reason, I ran into a lot of trouble doing some CA drop fills. I have one from the polyester years that had a pretty destructive reaction. Went to razor level the fill and the finish just crumbled on me in multiple spots--down to bare wood believe it or not.

I'm going to take it as an opportunity to remove the finish completely and try my hand at refinishing. Should be fun if I spread the work out and go slow.
I CA filled a dozen or more spots on a poly era 03 (top acrylic, but base is poly and plenty of these chips went to the base) and didn't have any wind up like that.  Or, turn out anything less that great.
Very unfortunate.  I wonder what the issue was. 
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on January 31, 2016, 01:12:53 AM
I CA filled a dozen or more spots on a poly era 03 (top acrylic, but base is poly and plenty of these chips went to the base) and didn't have any wind up like that.  Or, turn out anything less that great.
maybe silicone had been used as a polish?  I've repaired old finishes with shellac and had many turn out alright.  I've also used CA glue on the newer finishes (not the latest) and had fair results.
      Repairing finishes is tricky.

Quote from: didymus21 on January 30, 2016, 12:53:07 PM
I received this from Larrivee customer support. I thought it'd be great information to have as a sticky, in case anyone was interested.

Current Finish:
Gloss Guitars: Pure Acrylic Urethane hi-sheen Topcoat (Catalyzed), over top of a Catalyzed Urethane Basecoat.
Satin: Pure Acrylic Urethane 10% Sheen Satin Finish (Catalyzed), Over top of a Catalyzed Urethane base coat
WE USE NO POLYESTER ON ANY ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTS

2009-2013
Gloss Guitars: Urethane hi-sheen Topcoat (Catalysed), over top of a UV Polyester Basecoat
Satin: Pure Acrylic Urethane 10% Sheen Satin Finish (Catalyzed), over top of a UV Polyester Basecoat

Approx 1990-2009
Gloss Guitars: UV Polyester Topcoat, over top of a UV Polyester Basecoat
Satin: Pure Acrylic 12.5% Sheen Satin Finish (Catalyzed), over top of a UV Polyester Basecoat

Approx 1983-1990
Gloss Guitars: Catalyzed Modified Varnish Topcoat/Basecoat (Polyurethane Based)

1967 to Approx 1983
Gloss Guitars: Hot Sprayed Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Sticky is done.

T

Quote from: B0WIE on January 31, 2016, 01:12:53 AM

Yeah, very peculiar. I talked about it with another Luthier and he said he'd never seen anything like it either.
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Quote from: tuffythepug on January 31, 2016, 10:53:00 AM

Sticky is done.

T

Thanks Tuffy...  nice to have info like this that's easy to find... BobW

Good information, and explains the difference in finishes between my 2016 L-09 and 2007 L-05. I posted a thread on this forum about that a week or so ago. I much prefer the finish on my older L-05 to the finish on my new L-09. I had to use 0000 steel wool on the 9's neck to make it playable (at least for me). Thanks to the respondents for the advice on how to correct that too, BTW.

Absolutely Great Information!  Thanks for Sharing!   :thumb
George

Thanks for sharing that information! :cheers

Hello there's a question I would like to ask.I came across this used 09 that has its finish redone to Matte/Shellac. Wonder if there's any difference in terms of sound due to this mod? I don't have a chance to play it in person so really trying to gain as much info from the knowledgeable folks here before diving into the purchase  :smile:

Quote from: leo.vu on August 03, 2017, 11:18:48 AM
Hello there's a question I would like to ask.I came across this used 09 that has its finish redone to Matte/Shellac. Wonder if there's any difference in terms of sound due to this mod? I don't have a chance to play it in person so really trying to gain as much info from the knowledgeable folks here before diving into the purchase  :smile:
Sure like to see pics of that. A satin finish in shellac sounds interesting.
    Shellac is an age old guitar finish and should sound just fine.

I would ask why the finish needed refinishing. Abuse perhaps? I wouldn't buy that without some hands on experience.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

This is a close up of the finish! The owner simply says he has the gloss finish refinished and now the matte/shellac allows the sound to flow out much better. I didn't consider asking him why he gets it refinished so really thanks for the important pointer! First time trying to get a Larrivee (first time trying to get a high-end guitar anway haha) so I really need much input!