books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think Amazon Prime has a documentary on the We Are The World recording.  Talk about a time travel back!  I remember being a kid in the mall and you couldn't escape that song being played constantly!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

I watched it and it was interesting how they managed to bring all of those artists together for one night. Prince never showed up and Waylon Jennings walked out of the session but Willie Nelson hung around and actually seemed the most adaptable to the recording. You can tell that Bob Dylan is visibly uncomfortable throughout the film. 

There is also another song from our friends up north "Tears Are Not Enough" featuring Canadian Artists including lots of my favorites, Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Bryan Adams and Anne Murray to name a few. CBC taped a 90 minute special that I have to dig around for online.

(things I should have learned in school had I been paying attention)
Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu

(from amazon)
"As the most celebrated European to explore Asia, Marco Polo was the original global traveler and the earliest bridge between East and West. A universal icon of adventure and discovery, he has inspired six centuries of popular fascination and spurious mythology. Now, from acclaimed author Laurence Bergreen, comes the first fully authoritative biography of one of the most enchanting figures in world history. In this masterly work, Marco Polo's incredible odyssey - along the Silk Road and through all the fantastic circumstances of his life - is chronicled in sumptuous and illuminating detail.

Drawing on original sources in more than half a dozen languages, and his own travels along Polo's route in China and Mongolia, Bergreen explores the lingering controversies surrounding Polo's legend, settling age-old questions and testing others for significance.

Synthesizing history, biography, and travelogue, this is a timely chronicle of a man who extended the boundaries of human knowledge and imagination. Destined to be the definitive account of its subject for decades to come, Marco Polo takes us on a journey to the limits of history - and beyond."

Morgan Housel's The Psychology of Money. Considering the financial illiteracy in this country, should be required secondary school reading. No eye-glazing technical treatise, more basic fundamental money & life lessons contained in 20 brief chapters. IMO a good book to give to young people starting out. Wish it had been written 60 years ago!

I just finished CONFESSIONS OF A VINTAGE GUITAR DEALER by Norman Harris of Norman's Rare Guitars fame. 

This was a really fun book that I wish had been longer and filled with more stories.  Anyone interested in guitars would enjoy.  Lots about artists, old guitars, renting and selling guitars to movie sets, the LA music scene back in the 70s/80s, etc.   If you think you know a lot about guitars, Norm knows more! 

A really fun book.  I recommend!

CODE BREAKER by Walter Isaacson
Best Book of 2021 by Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Time, and The Washington Post

The bestselling author of Leonardo da Vinci and Steve Jobs returns with a "compelling" (The Washington Post) account of how Nobel Prize winner Jennifer Doudna and her colleagues launched a revolution that will allow us to cure diseases, fend off viruses, and have healthier babies.
They have had success curing some patients with painful and debilitating sickle cell anemia.

1L by Scott Turow (Presumed Innocent author). His diary as a 1st year law student at Harvard. Pretty interesting insight into learning the "lawyering" process in the 70's. Makes it a little easier to understand the lawyer personality - especially one from an extremely high pressure institution.

I've been reading MAN AND HIS SYMBOLS by Carl Jung.  This work was "written down" for the common man to follow along with and be able to understand, and still it's nowhere near light reading.  I'll have to read this one several times to truly grasp what's being communicated. 

For many years I've been interested in dreams and Jung is helping me understand it all better.  There are also some podcasts out there with Jung scholars that make his ideas a lot more accessible than just trying to read his books.  I've been enjoying one called This Jungian Life quite a bit. 

A Short History of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson

review by James S Marsh on Amazon:

This book takes everything that you think you know about the universe, broadens the scope of this thought, and increases the breadth and depth of detail by such a factor as to be nearly overwhelming. I particularly enjoy the human aspect that Bill is able to infuse into his narrative. He absolutely enraptures the reader and makes one wonder how we even figured anything out at all.

Time and time again, as discoveries were made, we see through Bill's detailed research that we are lucky indeed that history played out the way it did. He also raises the thought of what we may have lost along the way. In addition to Bill's historical narrative that he excels at, we are also fortunate that his unique prose serves as a perfect tool for breaking down complex ideas and explaining discoveries and natural science from everything we know (and think we know) into a nearly easily digestible narrative that keeps you hooked, page after page.

The River War
(1902 edition)
By Winston S. Churchill
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

This week I felt the urge to get back to Narnia and took a trip through the wardrobe and reread THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW, probably my favorite store of all time.