LR Baggs MI Active Soundhole

Started by fongie, May 06, 2010, 06:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi, has anyone own one of these Baggs MI Active? What are your thoughts? How do you compare to Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker or EMG's soundhole pickup's? Thank you  :donut  :donut Oh, are they cheaper then the other pickups?
cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on May 06, 2010, 06:56:12 PM
Hi, has anyone own one of these Baggs MI Active? What are your thoughts? How do you compare to Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker or EMG's soundhole pickup's? Thank you  :donut  :donut Oh, are they cheaper then the other pickups?
cheers
fongie

Well I have a M1A currently installed in a Takamine F360S and really like it's sound.  It was very easy to install.  I originally put it in my CS05 but it looked goofy because of its small diameter sound hole.  The advantage to it over the Rare Earth is the adjustable pole pieces for each string.

I have a Rare Earth Humbucking installed in my Taylor 550 12 string.  I really like it as well.  Aesthetically it is much better looking IMHO.  It was also very easy to install.

Both very good systems.  The Rare Earth is about $30 bones cheaper than the M1A.
Steve ....aka the SMan

Hey SMan, I hear ya'. Thank you  :donut  :donut One more question, which of the two would you prefer in sound?
cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on May 06, 2010, 11:54:12 PM
Hey SMan, I hear ya'. Thank you  :donut  :donut One more question, which of the two would you prefer in sound?
cheers
fongie

I kind of deliberately didn't say because I have them in two totally different guitars and like them both.  That said I think the M1A has a bit more punch.  I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either.  I also have the cheaper Fishman NeoD pickup that, that I switch between guitars,  being passive it definitely needs a pre-amp to satisfy my sound tastes.
Steve ....aka the SMan

Thanks for the information SMan. Also, thanks for the link to your wood pile. I've been hinting around with my wife about adding another guitar -- your picture is very helpful  :cheers
Larrivee 00-40R

Quote from: WileE on May 07, 2010, 03:22:43 PM
Thanks for the information SMan. Also, thanks for the link to your wood pile. I've been hinting around with my wife about adding another guitar -- your picture is very helpful  :cheers

Your welcome.  :thumb

Just doing what I can to spread guitar love throughout the land..................... :winkin:  :laughin:
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on May 07, 2010, 09:29:17 AM
I kind of deliberately didn't say because I have them in two totally different guitars and like them both.  That said I think the M1A has a bit more punch.  I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either.  I also have the cheaper Fishman NeoD pickup that, that I switch between guitars,  being passive it definitely needs a pre-amp to satisfy my sound tastes.
Thanks again SMan, you have helped me greatly.  Truely appreciated.
cheers
fongie

Well SMan, bought myself one this week. Can't wait for it;s arrival and installation. If it's as good as the Fishman Rare Earth, I'll be stoked. Thanks for your help mate  :cheers
cheers
fongie

Hey fongie,
Glad I could be of some help.  I hope you like it.  Installation is pretty easy, especially if you already have a 1/2 endpin jack hole.

Look forward to your review when it's installed.   :coffee :donut

Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on May 10, 2010, 09:20:28 PM
Hey fongie,
Glad I could be of some help.  I hope you like it.  Installation is pretty easy, especially if you already have a 1/2 endpin jack hole.

Look forward to your review when it's installed.   :coffee :donut

Hey SMan, I have couple of gits that haven't got the endpin jack hole. I have never attemted to drill one myself (to scared), How hard is it and what is the best method?
cheers mate
fongie

There are a few methods you could use to drill out the endpin.  Taking your time is the key.  Being a carpenter for many years I chose to use a 1/2 inch step drill. (See pic)  I have drilled many endpin holes without any problems or chipping.  I am sure others  like unclerob will have suggestions.   (I would NOT suggest using a typical high speed steel drill bit.)

Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: SMan on May 11, 2010, 07:13:07 PM
There are a few methods you could use to drill out the endpin.  Taking your time is the key.  Being a carpenter for many years I chose to use a 1/2 inch step drill. (See pic)  I have drilled many endpin holes without any problems or chipping.  I am sure others  like unclerob will have suggestions.   (I would NOT suggest using a typical high speed steel drill bit.)

My goodness SMan, these drill tips look mighty mean. I've never seen them before, are they some special drill tips? I will purchase a set. Do you have to start with the smallest and change to a bigger tip? I'm a little scared, but I will give it a go. By the way SMan, what do you call these drill tips?
cheers mate
fongie

Well let me first say fongie, if you are very nervous about it you may want to have it done by a qualified guitar tech or luthier.  After over 30 year of drilling all types of finished woods, furniture, and cabinetry,  I am very skilled with drills and comfortable doing this type of work. 

The bit on the left is the half inch step drill.  (They often come in the three sizes pictured)   It is designed for, and more often used on thin gauge metals but works great on wood.  Using this type of bit drills successively larger holes until you reach your desired diameter.  The advantage of these types of bits is that it will minimize the risk of chipping.  (If you were to try and drill a half inch hole (at one shot) with a typical twist bit there is a much higher risk of chipping)  Taking your time is the key.  I also highly suggest practicing on a scrap piece of hardwood.

I have (years ago before I had step drills) started with an 1/8" pilot bit and successively worked my way up my drill index to a 1/2" bit, however this is much more labor intensive, has a much higher risk of chipping,  and needs to be done with extreme caution.

(I have also used forstner bits but don't want to further muddy the water.)

Once the hole is there the rest is simple following the instructions that comes with the M1A.

Steve ....aka the SMan

Just run the thing out of the sound hole, until you decide if you want to go with a soundboard transducer or something else and then have that install by a tech. If you are certain you always want that M1 across you soundhole I guess you can DIY, but for the few $$ it would cost to have it done you'll probably spend that much on the tools. Just my .02 (I did the soundhole thing and ran the cord out the soundhole for a few months before I decided I really wanted a more natural sound - to my ear, and went with the K&K installed by a tech)
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

I've  used 1/2" tapered reamer similar to this one.  http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-27770-T-Handled-Tapered/dp/B001DZE5FW/ref=pd_sim_hi_2

It took a while, but it worked well and didn't chip. 

Thanks guy's, I hear ya'. All great points. I just feel it's time to venture into this new and interesting wood work. Well at least for me that is. I've learnt alot also from U-Rob, regarding 'Setups" "Thanks U-Rob"  :thumbsup. I feel I may be of some use to others less fortunate if I can help them install something they can't afford, for free. I saw a movie once, called "Pay it forward" I was truely inspired by this film, I decided i can do likewise. You Know what I mean MikeT? Hoping by learning this, I can help others and my good deed will help others to help others in turn.
Anyway it's enough said, now where was I.......
Okay SMan any special brand I need to know, something I can use for a long time, please? I think the US could be slightly diff. make/brand, etc.
cheers Guys
fongie

Another thing that supposedly helps to prevent chipping is to use some masking tape over the area you want to drill.  At least that was what was recommended when I swapped out my factory installed Fishman, for a K+K mini pure western years ago.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: fongie on May 12, 2010, 06:38:13 PM
Thanks guy's, I hear ya'. All great points. I just feel it's time to venture into this new and interesting wood work. Well at least for me that is. I've learnt alot also from U-Rob, regarding 'Setups" "Thanks U-Rob"  :thumbsup. I feel I may be of some use to others less fortunate if I can help them install something they can't afford, for free. I saw a movie once, called "Pay it forward" I was truely inspired by this film, I decided i can do likewise. You Know what I mean MikeT? Hoping by learning this, I can help others and my good deed will help others to help others in turn.
Anyway it's enough said, now where was I.......
Okay SMan any special brand I need to know, something I can use for a long time, please? I think the US could be slightly diff. make/brand, etc.
cheers Guys
fongie

Saw the movie, got the point, good on you sir, no offense meant, and i admire your attitude.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Michael T on May 13, 2010, 03:27:21 PM
Saw the movie, got the point, good on you sir, no offense meant, and i admire your attitude.

No harm done Mike, you were right, a good point  :+1: I hope you are okay? Talk to you soon.
Rockstar, don't worry, I will be taping up big time  :roll
cheers
fongie

The step drills I use were fairly inexpensive.  I paid $20 for the set.  Can't remember who made them but they are widely available. (At least in the US)  I would again suggest finding a scrap piece of hardwood to practice on.   

Good luck fongie!
Steve ....aka the SMan