Larrivee Vs. Taylor

Started by D_D_D_Daffy, March 03, 2006, 02:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why should I choose a Larrivee over a Taylor? (subjective question. Eh what?)

1) Tone
2) Price
3) Looks

OK, maybe # 3 is subjective. If you don't agree with # 3 I'm OK with that, the rest is solid.  :GRN>
Ron

Simple answer?  Larrivee's sound better.

I used to be "edman" here......

If you compare both, a Larrivee and Taylor, that are equal in price.
It will not be a diifficult choice.  :GRN>

Quote from: EC on March 03, 2006, 02:26:40 PM
It will not be a diifficult choice.  :GRN>

Exactly, especially since, at least from my experience, Taylor are much more expensive than Larrivees when comparing similar specs/guitars.

1) Tone
2) Price
3) Looks

Actually, 1 and 3 are both somewhat subjective. 2 is a given. I am looking for an L10 or OM10 or OM60 to compare to Taylor 810 and / or 814. I played an L05 at a Sam Ash store, but the strings were deader than dead, so it did not prove much other than indicate that it had stronger base (doesn't EVERY guitar have that over Taylor?). Can't find any other models around here to test out. Taylor has excellent mid and highs, but mediocre base. Even the definition of the mids and highs are up for subjectivity. I actually bought an 810 at a store that gives me 30 days to return it for a full refund. No questions asked. I am 2 weeks into the 30 days. The supposedly silky smooth Taylor action is not present on this one, but could be corrected by a competent repairman (do they exist?). Tone is good, but again, leaving a bit to be desired in the base. But this is coming from someone who formerly owned a Santa Cruz Tony Rice and sold it a couple years back because I decided to take a break from playing and also because I had =definitely wandered from Bluegrass into finger style. Never-the-less, I will never be able to replace that  guitar for what I sold it for. D_D_D_DUMB MOVE. Anyway, now that I am back in the market I just want to get the best combination of sound, playability, and appearance that I can for + or - of $2000. Also VALUE, which does mean resale if I decide to change again. Can't see spending the money on more than one guitar. Got a motorcycle which takes maintenance and other stuff to accomplish. Can anyone give me a verbal translation of what an L10 or OM60 or OM10 would sound like compared to the Taylor 810? And of course it is subjective.

Larrivee/Taylor/Martin - they all make good guitars. Go with whatever works for you.

Mike
Larrivee parlour (Sitka/Mahog)
Dave King Parlor (Alpine/Braz)
Lowden S25 (Cedar/EIR)
Pono Ukulele (all Koa)

Just played some today.  All three.

The price for a taylor is outrageous.  I'm also just not fondof the tone.

Martin...............very good when you find a good one.  VERY GOOD then.

Larrivee, best quality and bang for the buck.  Wish they had more volume with the exception of the parlors which some like and others dont.

Main thing.  Try not to listen to opinion and try to chose which guitar sounds best to you and your style of playing.  Reverence for brand is a big mistake.  Mostly because each guitar is so different.

Which would you date?  Which would you marry.  Or you can be like fitness 1 and just buy them all and sell the ones that don't work for you. :GRN>

Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

Re: Larrivee Vs. Taylor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:28:44 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: EC on Today at 03:26:40 PM
It will not be a diifficult choice. 

Exactly, especially since, at least from my experience, Taylor are much more expensive than Larrivees when comparing similar specs/guitars.

Actually, a Taylor 810 compares favorably with a Larrivee D10 or L10 in features with the exception of the abolone top trim on the D10 / L10. The Taylor Retails for $3048 and the D10 / L10 goes for $2998, so yes, the Abolone is essentially free. I paid $1981 plus tax for the Taylor, which is 35% off. That store does not carry Larriveee. No Larrivee dealer will goe much beyond 25% off around here because they are small stores, except Sam Ash and they don't want to deal that much either, so that bridges the gap somewhat. ANd the Taylor would bring more money on a resale, if it came to that. I could order a Larrivee from Elderly in Michigan and get about 33% off a Larrivee (they have an OM60 available as I speak), but I have a bit of a hangup about ordering a guitar without seeing and playing it first. They are NOT all equal. So, it is a matter of being able to make the true comparison and actually get to play the model Larrivee I am interested in.

Quote from: D_D_D_Daffy on March 03, 2006, 02:43:49 PM
  Re: Larrivee Vs. Taylor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:28:44 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: EC on Today at 03:26:40 PM
It will not be a diifficult choice. 

Actually, a Taylor 810 compares favorably with a Larrivee D10 or L10 in features with the exception of the abolone top trim on the D10 / L10. The Taylor Retails for $3048 and the D10 / L10 goes for $2998, so yes, the Abolone is essentially free. I paid $1981 plus tax for the Taylor, which is 35% off. That store does not carry Larriveee. No Larrivee dealer will goe much beyond 25% off around here because they are small stores, except Sam Ash and they don't want to deal that much either, so that bridges the gap somewhat. ANd the Taylor would bring more money on a resale, if it came to that. I could order a Larrivee from Elderly in Michigan and get about 33% off a Larrivee (they have an OM60 available as I speak), but I have a bit of a hangup about ordering a guitar without seeing and playing it first. They are NOT all equal. So, it is a matter of being able to make the true comparison and actually get to play the model Larrivee I am interested in.

No offense, but you played the Taylor before you bought it (action issues and all). There are several great online Larrivee dealers popular on this forum. They offer outstanding prices and even better personal service. I bought mine from Jason at www.notableguitars.com. We emailed back and forth several times before I made my decision to buy from him. He sets them up to your playing style prior to shipping them. Mine was perfect. Heck, it was still in tune. Best part about it is that it never hung in a store. It was a "true" new guitar.
I used to be "edman" here......

The bottom line answer is so subjective, I don't see how anyone can answer it except you.  My 2 cents: My guess is the Larrivee (especially the 60) is pretty likely to give you the extra bottom end (and cleaner mids and highs) it sounds like you are looking for.   If you are looking at a 10 or 60 series guitar, the L05 is limited in what it can tell you since the 05 is mahogany and the Larrivees you are considering are rosewood.

The Larrivee web site will list other dealers if you want to find another dealer - I have been willing to travel a bit to try out otherwise inaccessible guitars, myself.  And, by the way, there are on-line dealers here who have great repuations (check out the forum) and will do considerably better discounting than you described - check out Jason at notable guitars (guitarcrazy) and others.

Good luck!

Hey DDD, Ain't it fun to be on the search for a new guitar!? Us Larrivee folks can offer friendly advice and opinions but the final choice has to be yours. I can tell you that I have a D03, an L03, and an OM03 and I like all three a lot. I had a Taylor 310 that I liked a lot too but traded it for a Martin OM16GT because the person that had the Martin needed a dreadnaught with electronics which I had added to the Taylor. It's not always about the name on the peghead...it's about what floats YOUR boat. In my opinion, it's hard to go wrong with Larrivee but if they don't have what you want, need or like then they aren't right for you. Good Luck and Have Fun!!
charliep

I have both...Taylor 410 ce and an L10...only had for 2 days. They are totally different in sound. But I would not say one is better overall, just different. I like the bottom woody sound of the Larrivee over the Taylor but the Taylor does have some nice mids and highs. The L10 is a higher end guitar over the 410 so maybe it's not fair to compare straight up. But if you were to point a gun at my head and ask me to pick which one sounds best overall,,,I'd say the Larrivee would get the edge....Like most of the others have said, it's what YOU like.
One thing in my opinion is that my Taylor is set up better. This Larrivee is a little high for my taste therefore not as easy to play.....That's a whole nuther story...

Let me try to answer your question in a different way. I have played guitar for 35 years. I have owned Gibsons, Guilds, Martins, Ovations, Takamines, Santa Cruzes, Lowdens, Taylors and Larrivees. Aside from the guitars in my signature, I've bought and sold them all, including a Taylor and a Larrivee. The ones below are all keepers. I guess that means that Taylor and Larrivee have happened to rise to the top in my search for great production guitars, so in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either. Just be sure to pick the guitar that has the right shape and woods that support the music you play. That's much more important than the name on the headstock. Hope this helps...

God bless...
Singin' Fool

1997 Taylor Cujo 14
1999 Larrivee OM-10 reserve koa
2003 Taylor PG LTD
2006  Fender GDO500
2008  Taylor GC7

Taylor is currently going through a process of 'revoicing' all their models.  I don't think Larrivee has ever taken such as step.  But you should buy the guitar that sounds and feels right to you.  Did you really think people on this board would recommend you buy a Taylor?

E. Shoaf

Larrivee did quite a bit of revoicing in the early years. There have been a few changes to the size of the L body during its lifetime. They did have most of their stuff together before they started producing large numbers.

Larrivee has also added several new body styles/sizes lately. That in itself is a revoicing of the Larrivee sound. I hope they continue to evolve.
Ron

Played some Taylors that made my ears hurt, giving loads of creedence to their "thin" reputation.  Played some that were just heavenly...a 815 limited in Sitka/Coco jumps to mind.  I have one Taylor an rosewood/sitka jumbo 815, and it is anything but thin.  They made a well-bulit guitar, and it is up to you to decide if you like the sound or not.  I am particularly interested in the new GS series. 

Personally, I think all good guitars are good.  Just different.  Shop around, play a bunch, have fun. 
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

A sales guy at the store where my tech has his shop told me Taylors are all made by machine and not just CNC machines.  He made it sound like they are never touched by human hands during construction.  I find this hard to believe...anybody?

Larrivee.

1) Tone

2) Tone

3) Tone

Any questions?
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

I think I have favorite models from each of the makers mentioned in this thread.
Go with your heart. I have heard of people turning their back in a guitar store and having someone else play different guitars.
I don't know if you should really listen to any of this! :GRN>
Ditto on the subjective comment.
Good luck,
Fred