What's Your Favorite Acoustic String???

Started by Busker, May 27, 2006, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's Your Favorite Acoustic String For Your Larrivee??

DR
6 (2.5%)
Elixir
60 (24.9%)
D'Addario
67 (27.8%)
Martin
27 (11.2%)
Ernie Ball
2 (0.8%)
Dean Markley
10 (4.1%)
Cleartone
9 (3.7%)
GHS
4 (1.7%)
Pyramid
1 (0.4%)
Fender
0 (0%)
Gibson
0 (0%)
Black Diamond
0 (0%)
John Pearse
20 (8.3%)
D'Angelico
3 (1.2%)
Savarez
0 (0%)
Newtone
25 (10.4%)
Other (please explain)
7 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 237

I like the new Elixir phosphor bronze nanoweb mediums.

which set of D'addario's are good for dreadnoughts? I prefer light strings to mediums.....
Larrivee D-09e
Takamine EG15SC

everone here seems to be happy with the ej-16s.  I just put on a set and like them so far, but ive only had em on a few days
2002 L-10 Special Edition
2002 Martin D-15
2005 Blueridge BR-183
2006 double sound hole 12 fret handmade guitar

I suppose it would really confusing if we started to break out string type from each. But in the top two thus far, I play the D'Addario PB lights on my OM-03 ( I have tried the DR Sunbeams) and I put a set of Elixer Nanoweb lights on a Seagull.

Regarding the Elixers - I tried the Polywebs and did not like them. They "felt" coated and my noobness did not like it. The Nano's on the other hand feel and sound great. I'd like to know what the 50 Elixer users are using.
Be Prepared...

I use D'addario phosphor lights. Not a fan of the coated strings.
DV-03REL
DV-09REL
P-09L

d'addario ej-17. (i play a jv-10, strings tuned down 1/2 step)...
"All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity.But the dreamer of the day are dangerous people. For they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence

Just put a set of martin sp+ light on my OMV09, the trebbles are gorgeous, crisp and cristal clear, very good sustain. Basses are nice, but not very loud. The mediums are great, but are a tad short on sustain... But it's definitely a huuuuuge improvement in tone, volume and clarity over the cleartones mediums that were on there, which sounded muffled...
People complain about life being hard, but what if it was limp?

1967 Gibson b45 12strings
06.2007 OMV 09
1972 Global 6 stringer (lol)
2002 Princess (classical)

After using a lot of different strings, cause every time I went to get a new set I'd forget what I wanted, I've settled on D'addario EJ26's (.011 - .052)  Light but not too light and they have a bright tone.

I use D'addario J73's on my mandolin too. (.010 - .038)
L-03R
Eastman 515 mandolin

Dulcius ex Asperis

Back in the day I always used Martin Marquis PB, then switched to D-Addarrio PB, it has a brassier sound that I like.  the last several years I have been using Elixer Poly, then Nano's.  Great strings.  I have just ordered some D'addarrio PB EXP's to try out.  I really like the coated strings - they make a huge difference here in paradise, due to the high humidity.

aloha
7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09

I've been on the computer to long, I'm seeing double.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Gotta be elixer nano web 12-54 lights not phosphor bronze, I find they sound to tinny. Ive tried exp's and was dissapointed. Long life great tone as they say, Both my d05 and my old beat around samick agree!
Larrivee D-05
Fender american telecaster
Samick "6 stinged camping machine"

My faves are D'addario Phosphor Bronze light gauge EXP. Tried Elixirs, but the D'Addario's have them beat to my ears.

D'addario Ej11's  are my favorite just put on a set of Ej16 and prefer the Ej11s . They have a very nice sparkle to them that the EJ16's seam to lack. Dont get me wrong i like the EJ16's balance, but just prefer the EJ11'S sparkle :guitar

Dean Markley Alchemy CL 12-54   I use EJ-17s on the D-09      (really don't like Elixer on anything)