NGD - O-40R Sunburst Special

Started by salsarev, April 29, 2024, 10:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm back in the Larrivee fold after several years. I purchased this O-40R Sunburst Special from forum member JCs (through the AGF). Great transaction and the guitar is everything I hoped it would be!

Parlor owners, what strings do you like on yours?

Thanks!
David
Larrivee O-40R Sunburst Special
Martin 000-28
Several ukuleles

Congratulations, David!
Beautiful guitar.
Enjoy!
 :wave

:nice guitar:
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Wow, beautiful!   That rosewood back is legit! 
 :nice guitar:

lovely!  Throw some mediums on it and let it ring!  D'Addario EJ17 is good
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on April 29, 2024, 03:12:02 PMlovely!  Throw some mediums on it and let it ring!  D'Addario EJ17 is good

This brings up a question, why mediums on a smaller guitar? The ones I've owned Waterloo, Eastman, all recommended lights. And one of the Waterloo models recommends 11s.

I think heavier strings can get a stiff top to move. But, the tension can sometimes do the opposite and choke the tone out of a smaller guitar. Really depends, and the player needs to make the judgment on their own.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

My suggestion: put on some medium strings and tune it down a whole step.  It's a new world of feel and tones.  I did this over 20 years ago and never looked back. YMMV.

I've had 3 Larrivee parlors over the years.
I always used mediums on them. The Larrivee bracing can handle meds w/o a problem, especially on a 24 inch scale.
My thinking was that the heavier strings compensated to some extent for the smaller body with respect to volume and tone.
YMMV.

Congrats,  :nice guitar: Enjoy it forever.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Salsarev congratulations and  :nice guitar:

Followed your search on AGF and looks like you have a beauty. I'm curious if you get any other string recommendations since I recently acquired a parlor and have the same Q.

Beauty!
Taylor 214ce Plus
Eastman MD315 Mandolin

Quote from: Myopic Squirrel on April 29, 2024, 09:45:51 PMSalsarev congratulations and  :nice guitar:

Followed your search on AGF and looks like you have a beauty. I'm curious if you get any other string recommendations since I recently acquired a parlor and have the same Q.

Hey Squirrel - I've posted NGD on the AGF also. String suggestions are about the same. Most responses specify a gauge and a few a brand.
Martin 000-28
Several ukuleles

My p-03 was brand new when I got it 2 years ago, and it came from the factory with medium gauge strings.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Thank you for all the kind words and answers to my string question!  :thumbsup
Martin 000-28
Several ukuleles