Converting lefty J-09 to righthanded - anybody tried?

Started by Burglarbill, January 21, 2024, 09:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a chance to buy a lefty J-09 at a very good price but I'm righthanded.  What do you think about converting?

Larrivees are good candidates for this due the the symmetrical bracing. I've considered it before. There's two reasons while I haven't. One being that you need to replace the bridge if you want the intonation to be correct. Not just the saddle, the bridge because it sits the saddle at an angle. The nut too but that's less of a hassle.

Replacing a bridge isn't a big deal but if you're spending a hundred bucks on a bridge and, if you can't replace them yourself, a couple hundred more on a tech to do the nut and bridge, why not just buy a righty? Larrivee jumbos are rare but they're still out there. I just saw a very rare one posted for just over $2k last month. IMO, the savings would have to be massive for a lefty to be worth converting.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I've converted afew in both directions not a big deal.Right now I have an 98 L10 koa lefty all I did was change change the nut and the dang thing plays in tune all the way up the neck.So I'm leaving the bridge/saddle as is and enjoying it.

keep smilin :bgrin: and keep dancin :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks for your comments.  I am heartened to take on the task in which I shall include a new bridge and saddle.  The J-09 I have just bought is a 1990 model with a very nice rosewood body. Overall it is in great condition and I paid less than $900 for it. It joins my SD-50 and L-03-12R. I am a happy bunny for sure!

The conversion is complete and completely successful.  My friend and star luthier, Martyn Booth (check out his superb electrics), handled everything for me.  He cut and installed a new bone nut, filled the existing saddle slot (invisibly) cut a new slot at the correct angle for a righthander, made and fitted a new saddle and installed new position markers on the neck binding (I decided to leave the old ones in position on the other side of the neck).  Brand new Larrivee pickguard added and ready to go.  While he was at it he installed an L R Baggs Anthem.  Intonation is spot on and she looks and plays a million dollars.

Quote from: Burglarbill on March 24, 2024, 03:03:05 PMThe conversion is complete and completely successful.  My friend and star luthier, Martyn Booth (check out his superb electrics), handled everything for me.  He cut and installed a new bone nut, filled the existing saddle slot (invisibly) cut a new slot at the correct angle for a righthander, made and fitted a new saddle and installed new position markers on the neck binding (I decided to leave the old ones in position on the other side of the neck).  Brand new Larrivee pickguard added and ready to go.  While he was at it he installed an L R Baggs Anthem.  Intonation is spot on and she looks and plays a million dollars.
Very cool to hear! Thx for the follow-up. Glad you had it done the right way. One less lefty guitar out there for the enemies (kidding! kidding!). Would love to see a pic of the converted guitar if you're able.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.