touch up on a larrivee sound board

Started by johnjago, December 09, 2023, 06:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi, I'm new to this so here goes. I am an amateur guitar builder/luthier. I am repairing a Larrivee guitar for a friend. The top had a separation on the sound board between the end block and the bridge plate. I glued a cleat inside the body to the sound board at the halfway point of the separation. In the process the joint didn't perfectly line up and I have one side that is slightly higher than the other. It looks fine but you can feel it when you run your hand over it. I would like to carefully scrape the high spot and touch up that up. It has a satin finish and I think it may be a poly finish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Johnjago

:donut  :donut  :donut  :donut2  :donut2  :donut2  :coffee

Welcome to the Larrivée forum, A quick call or e-mail to Larrivée would likely be your best bet as they could better handle your questions regarding finish for that specific guitar.

A quick read of the forum rules would be a good idea as well. :wink:
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

It's really hard to repair these satin finishes. I've done it with CA glue and fine grade wet/dry paper but you can always expect them to be visible to some extent. I'm not aware of anything that easily recreates that same texture.

As far as finish types go, there's a sticky thread here on the forum listing then.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I would re open the crack and reglue,but I'm and old style guitar repairperson,

keep smilin and keep dancin   :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on December 10, 2023, 12:05:05 AMI would re open the crack and reglue,but I'm and old style guitar repairperson,

^^^^ This
Ron

There's some good advice here from several members, John.
And to help facilitate with that info, this will assist you in navigating your journey.
Manufacture Date of Lookup
That will point you to determining what finish is on the guitar you're working with.

And this is a link to LARRIVEE Finishes over the years which specifically notes satin finishes.

I will add my personal endorsement to any advice posted on this forum from either BOWIE and/or unclrob; both are as knowledgeable as they are helpful.

Oh, and here are the forum rules:
The Forum Rules **Read Before Posting**
:donut :donut

how would you reopen the glue joint. I glued a cleat on the inside with tightbond and I also squeezed some of the same in the crack.

I sent a message to the folks at Larrivee describing my situation along with the guitar numbers on the inside of the guitar. I'm anxious to hear what they have to say. Thank you all for your responses.

What I have done mostley with violins is remove cleat,warm water to breakdown the glue.Open and clean out as much of the first glue up push the crack together clamp it downwards making sure the wood is alined set aside for three days.I would use a french polish very tight to the crack only.I'm not sure if you can make it satin finish looking,If you can keep from removing any finish is best.

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hello all,
Thank you for pointing out that I need to read the rules. My intentions are all good and I would not ever use this forum to vent or be negative. I do like doughnuts. Long johns with maple topping is my favorite. I could not find an emojie like that so you al are going to have to use your imagination. :donut  :donut
Thanks, I hope this works.
John

Quote from: johnjago on December 11, 2023, 01:14:42 PMHello all,
Thank you for pointing out that I need to read the rules. My intentions are all good and I would not ever use this forum to vent or be negative. I do like doughnuts. Long johns with maple topping is my favorite. I could not find an emojie like that so you al are going to have to use your imagination. :donut  :donut
Thanks, I hope this works.
John
Here's wishing you a favorable outcome, John.
Let us know how it works out.
 :wave

Uncle Rob,
Woulhttp://www.larriveeforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/donut.gifd you use a moist warm/hot rag or paper towel to loosen the glue on the cleat. That is the part that concerns me the most.

What concerns you? PC A glue is activated with moisture and heat. It's normal and the wood isn't a sponge. It's stable. Just don't get it too hot too quick. Slow heat and enough moisture to get the job done.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.