D'addario Humipak

Started by Sandstorm, April 27, 2024, 03:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can those D'addario Humipaks replace the need for a dehumidifier?  I understand they can hydrate the instrument when needed and absorb moisture when required.  I have my music room on the main floor and the immediate area under my music room is a crawlspace, not a basement which I think due to temperature changes in the ground have more influence over the humidity...maybe I'm wrong.  In SW Ontario right now it is kind of a wonky time of year for temperatures.

I have a dehumidifier in the room because I'm more concerned with high humidity then dry air...even in the winter it doesn't get very dry.  Right now, with two analog hygrometers to monitor, I can maintain 55 RH.  The dehumidifier is on all the time...it kicks off for a second only to start back up 3 seconds later.  Also, it's not like I have to empty the water frequently either...seems like the humidifier is working all the time only to extract very little water every week.

If I turn it off, humidity might creep up to 60 which I understand is high for acoustic instruments.  My hope is that a two way humipak will eliminate the need for a dehumidifier in the room or at least for it not to be on all the damn time.  Any experience with the humipak for this purpose?

If it's extreme humidity, you'll be burning through packs. Best to get it in the ballpark if you can. That said, 60% isn't terrible. On the high side but not too concerning.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

They are meant to absorb excess humidity also.  However, there's a limit to everything. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

I'm rather surprised that you can maintain a RH of 50-55% in the winter time in Ontario.
How do you heat your home?

Quote from: Queequeg on April 27, 2024, 10:02:55 AMI'm rather surprised that you can maintain a RH of 50-55% in the winter time in Ontario.
How do you heat your home?

Natural gas hot water radiators.  Last couple winters have been rather mild.  I'm sure it's a different story if we got those -20c weeks at a time.

If I had the 2 way humipak, how do you tell when it can't absorb humidity anymore and needs to be changed?

Quote from: Sandstorm on April 27, 2024, 11:22:19 AMNatural gas hot water radiators.  Last couple winters have been rather mild.  I'm sure it's a different story if we got those -20c weeks at a time.

If I had the 2 way humipak, how do you tell when it can't absorb humidity anymore and needs to be changed?
You need a decent hygrometer. Or two.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on April 27, 2024, 01:19:27 PMYou need a decent hygrometer. Or two.
Sandstorm says he's got two of them, but something sounds weird there.
Maintains RH55 in Ontario w/o a humidifier.
I'm not that far away and even with my humidifier I can't get to 40% in the winter time burning natural gas for heat or my windows will get condensated.

Just a couple of quick comments.  I've experienced fairly wide variations in hygrometer readings of different hygrometer that are sitting side by side.  When I see readings 10% or more apart, I don't know how they can be trusted.

Many years ago, I had the interior linings of two premium hardshell cases badly stained by Humidipacks.  And any others had the same problem.  I believe they subsequently changed the chemical makeup of the Humidipacks, so hopefully the problem no longer exists.  But I've not used them since.
OM-05, L-03WL, 000-40R

As batteries degrade, so goes hygrometer reliability.

There is currently a post on AGF regarding leaking D'Addario Humipaks.

who do you trust?