Who's "in the zone" on Monday April 8th?

Started by Queequeg, April 02, 2024, 02:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone even the least bit interested in viewing the solar eclipse next Monday afternoon?  :rolleye:
I'm living in the 95% total zone.
I have the viewing shades and a smartphone photo filter lens.
If it's not overcast perhaps I can post an image here next week.
If you do decide to watch be sure that your glasses are AAS Approved 2024 CE & ISO Certified Eclipse Observation-safe shades.
(See map for locations and times.)

North Texas here and right in the zone. It's supposed to be cloudy and overcast, but it'll still get dark.  I haven't followed this closely, but from what I'm hearing some people are going an overboard with all this stuff. 
 :nanadance

Quote from: Silence Dogood on April 02, 2024, 03:41:44 PMNorth Texas here and right in the zone. It's supposed to be cloudy and overcast, but it'll still get dark.  I haven't followed this closely, but from what I'm hearing some people are going an overboard with all this stuff. 
 :nanadance
I hear ya.

So you don't think it necessarily signals the End Times?
 :humour:

The biggest sign of The End of Times will be an eclipse on Uranus.   :humour:
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: Queequeg on April 02, 2024, 05:23:02 PMI hear ya.

So you don't think it necessarily signals the End Times?
 :humour:
Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of crackpots seeing this is "it."  It's the same in every generation. 
 :wacko:

I'm right in the direct path of the eclipse here in NW PA which is good news since I sold my Lear Jet back in 1972 after flying back from Nova Scotia and hearing Carly Simon singing the third verse of "You're So Vain."

Seriously, I'll be watching this event from my son's back deck overlooking Lake Erie and it should be fun.

Quote from: teh on April 02, 2024, 11:01:47 PMI'm right in the direct path of the eclipse here in NW PA which is good news since I sold my Lear Jet back in 1972 after flying back from Nova Scotia and hearing Carly Simon singing the third verse of "You're So Vain."

Seriously, I'll be watching this event from my son's back deck overlooking Lake Erie and it should be fun.
I have a lot of family in Erie PA. There's a 100th birthday party going on there (that I won't be attending) on Sunday and I understand the motel/hotel rates have skyrocketed due to people converging on the city for the eclipse.

I'm in the zone, in central Texas. We have glasses and will be checking it out.
Taylor 214ce Plus
Eastman MD315 Mandolin

Quote from: fantex on April 03, 2024, 07:20:09 AMI'm in the zone, in central Texas. We have glasses and will be checking it out.
Taking pictures?
And if you only have a cell phone...  "just on the automatic settings, and it actually seemed to work OK," Honda said. "Just leave it on the standard wide-angle setting — if you start to zoom in on the sun to try to make it bigger, it throws off the automatic exposure."

A wider shot with a phone might be less dramatic, but it will capture either the people or the landscape around you, and that might make for a better picture, Honda added.

However, don't forget to make looking at the eclipse the priority, he advised. "Photography should be the secondary objective, because this is a truly amazing natural event that you might not ever see again," he said. "So, if you're in the path of totality, make sure you spend more time looking at it with your eyes than with the camera."

Our house is about 4 miles out of the zone, but if we do a beer run to Lytle we would be in the zone for about 2 minutes of totality, or less. If we take a country road a bit further, we can be be inside the zone for longer. We will decide when we see what the cloud cover is like. Forecast is for clouds.
The cool thing is that the paths of the annular eclipse last October and this total eclipse coming up on Monday criss-cross right over our area. We saw some of the annular through our glasses, but we had lots of clouds so most of it was not visible. The birds all got quiet when it got dim.
I also remember that Silence D took pics of the numerous partial mini-eclipses projected on the ground through some bushes in the neighborhood.
I also read the the Electrical Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) expects the grid to be impacted due to the temporary lack of solar, but not so bad.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on April 03, 2024, 01:13:57 PMI also read the the Electrical Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) expects the grid to be impacted due to the temporary lack of solar, but not so bad.
Mike
ERCOT will issue an emergency "ACOUSTICS ONLY" alert.
You heard it here first.  :wave

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2024, 03:41:11 PMERCOT will issue an emergency "ACOUSTICS ONLY" alert.
You heard it here first.
Battery operated amplifiers will also not be affected, if fully charged.
Mike

We are going to drive about an hour east of Dallas and will be in a good spot.  Should be fun. 

Took the day off yesterday and drove out to the country to get a good spot for the eclipse.  It was a pretty amazing experience.  There were some clouds in the sky that got all silvery-gold, and the sky as a whole took on a sort of bronzed effect.  All the wind died down and everything went quiet, and while it didn't get nighttime dark, it did get pretty dark. Also, it was as if the air got heavier and thicker.  It was all a bit creepy and ominous, but really something to behold.  There were people from all over the world in Texas to see this.  We stopped at Buc-ees on the way home and it was packed with travelers.  Many had t-shirts made up for the event.  A pretty fun day!

We had total heavy cloud cover so we did not go out anywhere, but I found a site with the eclipse path and a map where you could pick your location, so I clicked where our house would be, so I knew our maximum would be at 1.33 PM. I set up my phone to do a time lapse of the darkness, and at 1 second per minute the darkness was 2 seconds, and mostly showed the dogs walking around at high speed, haha. However, in real time it got really dark and murky, no porchlights or street lights, and couldn't even see the street from our breezeway (200 feet). And it did get really quiet. But just for a couple minutes. I think what we got was worth the price of admission, considering we are rural with no city lights or other visual distractions.
Mike

It didn't get very dark in Southeast Michigan. We had cirrus clouds overhead but I could see through them OK.
Looked pretty good through the eclipse glasses but not so great in the pictures from my iPhone which I won't even bother posting here.
Lots of people in the park to meet and talk with.
Spent about an hour over there and enjoyed it.
See you all in 2099.
:bgrin:

We had a great time in NW PA.

The cloud cover pretty much disappeared during the event and I got to watch it with all nine of my grandchildren ages 7 to 14. Watching it change from daylight to dark at 3:15 pm was surreal.

I was fortunate enough to be in the totality zone.  Captured a projected image of the partial portion of the eclipse on my L-03RW.  Picture posted in the pictures subforum.
OM-05, L-03WL, 000-40R

Solar Glasses Recycling And Distribution
Don't trash those lenses! You can donate them.
WHERE CAN I SEND MY ECLIPSE GLASSES? Click here to find a collection partner near you.

We enjoyed four minutes of totality in my back yard. Crickets chirping and cows lowing, a memorable moment.
"End times"? Remember the boy who cried wolf?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing