Expectations and Disappointment.

Started by ducktrapper, August 03, 2018, 06:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I stopped into the 12th Fret in Toronto yesterday and was surprised by a couple of things. First how unhelpful, unknowledgeable and unprofessional the staff were and secondly I saw a Larrivée L model that looked nearly identical to the 1975 L that I own. I don't like to take expensive guitars off the wall without getting permission of the staff but that proved difficult because they basically ignored me. Finally, a uninterested staffer deigned to talk to me. I asked if this was an older guitar or a copy of one. He didn't know. I asked if I could play it. He said ... yeah go ahead. He didn't seem to care one way or the other if I was a buyer or a lurker.

Is this a new thing in the high end, music store business. No one asks if they can help you? I had the same trouble in Gruhn's in Nashville a few years back. Am I just supposed to take any multi thousand dollar guitar down off the wall and do what I want with it? Am I too polite? Do I not look like I can't afford an expensive guitar? What gives?      

Seemed a change in atmosphere in the 12th Fret a couple years back from my experience
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Last time I was at Gruhn was late 2013.  In the non downtown location. I had the opposite experience, but the store was pretty empty. I felt like I had a personal guitar concierge there.

I went in to see if there were any Larry baritones and there were a couple used ones in there he set me up n a little alcove like area and would bring me different guitars and ask me what I liked and didn't like.

This was when I played my first Taylor 8 string baritone and it went on my lifetime 'to buy' list. I would never have guessed I would like it but it is such an enjoyable pLaying and sounding guitar.

I'm not a rich guy nor do I look like it and my chops are intermediate at best.

I think the key was that I was one of 2 or 3 people in the store.

Disappointing if you didn't have a similar experience. It was one of the highlights of my visit to Nashville.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Well, I try to be polite. I don't think it's a good idea to just help myself to guitars. Maybe I'm invisible, I'm not really tall or big or anything.  I do expect to be greeted and asked if I can be helped. Then I can find out the store's policy on such things. Either let me take that down for you or go ahead and help yourself. I have credit cards, being ignored just ****es me off.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on August 03, 2018, 06:53:11 PM
Seemed a change in atmosphere in the 12th Fret a couple years back from my experience

I think that when David Wren left not only did their excellent web site decline but perhaps other things, as well. Anyway, I traveled a long way, drove for an hour through ridiculous traffic, was very excited to check the place out and was terribly disappointed in the experience.  

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 03, 2018, 06:39:39 PM
I saw a Larrivée L model that looked nearly identical to the 1975 L that I own. I don't like to take expensive guitars off the wall without getting permission of the staff but that proved difficult because they basically ignored me. Finally, a uninterested staffer deigned to talk to me. I asked if this was an older guitar or a copy of one. He didn't know. I asked if I could play it. He said ... yeah go ahead.
So did you play it? How did it sound?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I tried to buy a Collings off these guys through online purchase a couple years ago and they just didn't seem interested in my business so I shopped elsewhere. Really unimpressed with their customer service. Zero motivation. And, no, I wasn't even asking for a discount.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: mike in lytle on August 03, 2018, 07:36:28 PM
So did you play it? How did it sound?
Mike

I did. I wasn't that impressed. It was not nearly as nice as mine or as mine when new but I already had a sour taste in my mouth. I played Mississippi John Hurt's Candyman on it. It was lovely but I found it stiff and kind of stiff and unresponsive but I could have been going on looks and not reality. Thus the thread title.    

Quote from: B0WIE on August 03, 2018, 07:40:06 PM
I tried to buy a Collings off these guys through online purchase a couple years ago and they just didn't seem interested in my business so I shopped elsewhere. Really unimpressed with their customer service. Zero motivation. And, no, I wasn't even asking for a discount.

The 12th Fret? Exactly though. They just didn't seem to care if I was in the store or not. I don't get it. 

One man's friendly is another man's aggressive sales pitch.

If I wanted assistance I'd tell someone.  I hate it when a sales drone shows up and wants to "help" you.   That's a great way to get me to leave and not spend any money.

Just nod in my general direction and we're good.

Quote from: AZLiberty on August 03, 2018, 08:31:05 PM
One man's friendly is another man's aggressive sales pitch.

If I wanted assistance I'd tell someone.  I hate it when a sales drone shows up and wants to "help" you.   That's a great way to get me to leave and not spend any money.

Just nod in my general direction and we're good.

Well, I guess and that's what I'm saying. When no one even acknowledges your presence, when it's difficult to tell who's working there or not, something's not right. I'm not asking for a hard sell but "Do you need any help with anything?" is just common courtesy. Any shop that would let a potential customer walk in and walk out without doing that is ... stupid and arrogant.  

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 03, 2018, 07:44:49 PM
The 12th Fret? Exactly though. They just didn't seem to care if I was in the store or not. I don't get it.  
Yes, 12th Fret. After speaking with someone who couldn't give me an answer, they said they'd call me back. Well, they never bothered so after 2 days I had to call them back, twice. This was over $2k that I was trying to give them and they couldn't be bothered.

One thing I've observed, as a business owner, is that when businesses take their existence for granted, they usually decline soon after. The instrument market is such that places like this probably can't afford to run like that for long.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on August 03, 2018, 09:23:55 PM
Yes, 12th Fret. After speaking with someone who couldn't give me an answer, they said they'd call me back. Well, they never bothered so after 2 days I had to call them back, twice. This was over $2k that I was trying to give them and they couldn't be bothered.

One thing I've observed, as a business owner, is that when businesses take their existence for granted, they usually decline soon after. The instrument market is such that places like this probably can't afford to run like that for long.

I'm pretty easy going but I was a little insulted and flabbergasted at their attitudes. After being totally ignored for ten minutes, I had to ask someone if they worked there. The local music store in Thunder Bay, by the way, is sensational. The proprietor, Cosmo Ricci, and his family go out of their way to make you feel welcome in their shop. And they have one of the best music stores and largest inventories in Canada. I'm not affiliated, other than that I like them and they have treated me well, but try them out. Tell them Tom sent you.   :cheers  

https://musicworldacademy.com/

A LOT of things changed when David left.

Similarly, Rufus Guitar shop in Vancouver, where Chuck Baker moved the original Montreal shop to, is, of course not the same store.
Chuck sold to his employees.
Once, a huge seller of Larrivee guitars, now, they don't even stock them.

For the record, the few times I've been to 12fth Fret, I've had similar experiences, now I just don't bother.

BTW, I'm a couple hours up the line near Kingston if you're travelling....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on August 03, 2018, 10:29:15 PM
A LOT of things changed when David left.

Similarly, Rufus Guitar shop in Vancouver, where Chuck Baker moved the original Montreal shop to, is, of course not the same store.
Chuck sold to his employees.
Once, a huge seller of Larrivee guitars, now, they don't even stock them.

For the record, the few times I've been to 12fth Fret, I've had similar experiences, now I just don't bother.

BTW, I'm a couple hours up the line near Kingston if you're travelling....

I'd love to but it was a quick fly in and out. I had to have a medical for my interview with US immigration. What a scam that is! Whatever else they say, I resent anyone who entered the country illegally after all I've been through and how much we've spent. Get in line!!!! The good news is that by the end of the month, I should have my green card. Nashville here I come!     

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 03, 2018, 10:48:59 PM

I had to have a medical for my interview with US immigration. What a scam that is! Whatever else they say, I resent anyone who entered the country illegally after all I've been through and how much we've spent. Get in line!!!!

:+1:

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 03, 2018, 10:48:59 PM

The good news is that by the end of the month, I should have my green card. Nashville here I come!     

So you're headed back stateside (Nashville?)?

If so, for how long... and welcome back!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Customer Service is quickly becoming a lost art everywhere we look...I hate buying things online but it's so frustrating going into stores these days. On a happier note, congrats on the upcoming adventure!

Cheers,

SS
Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25

Having worked in music stores for a number of years and being a very customer service kinda of person I now have no expectations of good service.I only go to my local store to get stuff but I get great service and they don't mind if I help out now and again.I have known and worked with them for 18 years and visit them about once a month.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 04, 2018, 09:08:41 AM
:+1:

So you're headed back stateside (Nashville?)?

If so, for how long... and welcome back!

Well, we have a lot of decisions to make. My wife still maintains residence in Wisconsin and her kids are still there. We love our place in Canada on the big lake but will probably sell it if and when we get the right price. We are both tired of winter, however, and Wisconsin doesn't really solve that problem. Unless we win a lottery, ha ha, it will be difficult to do it all. Trying to work out spending time in both countries and avoiding winter. Nashville is the country music Mecca and I would like to knock on a few doors and see if anyone might be interested in a song or two. As for moving there? Tennessee is very pretty. Who knows?  :beer     

Quote from: musicrowscott on August 04, 2018, 09:58:14 AM
Customer Service is quickly becoming a lost art everywhere we look...I hate buying things online but it's so frustrating going into stores these days. On a happier note, congrats on the upcoming adventure!

Cheers,

SS

:welcome: back Scott its been a while! You've been missed!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)