Baker T Neck questions...

Started by JGW, January 22, 2024, 03:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okay, I am thinking about getting a Baker T.  I love telecasters and I love Larrivee.  The Baker T seems like the perfect match. 

Are there other forums or communities online I can check into to find out more about the Baker T? 

I have questions about the neck...how thick or thin is it?  I ask because I am finding I like thinner necks.  I saw a Fender Vintera Tele in person a month or so ago and was shocked at how thick the neck was.

I don't want that.  If the Baker T is trying to imitate older tele necks I am not sure I can do that. 

If the neck is similar to a player plus tele neck that would be ideal.   

Point of Reference I have a Larrivee RS-2, a fender player Strat, and a fender player plus tele. 

I love the RS-2, It was my return to the electric guitar, and has become a dear friend. The Strat came next, its thin neck was a revelation to me.  Made me realize that thinner necks are what I like.  Then came the fender tele, its neck is a happy medium of thickness between the Strat and the RS-2.  My hand just feels at home there. 

I would love it if the baker T was closer to that player plus tele neck or a Strat than the RS-2. 

The Baker T calls to me.  I would go try one out in person but as far as I know there are none to go see here in Ohio. 

I would say you could try to call the larrivee factory and ask.  You might even get to speak to Matt Larrivee?

Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

I bought a new Baker T last year and play it lots. I would say the neck is fairly slim and like the Fender modern slim profiles. I have a fleet of teles and it seems it is a lot like my Fender Select tele from 2012, a violin burst model.

Cool thanks for that.  How bright does it sound compared to your other teles.  I have heard a few people say online that it is brighter, another describes it as more articulate, easier to hear each note. 

Perhaps the better question is what is it like when you roll the tone knob down. 

I ask because I have a Quilter Mach3.  Really good amp.  With my tele, player plus, I always just roll its tone knob back about a quarter turn.  That sounds just right to me.  My Larrivee rs2 sounds great with the tone all the way up, or rolled back a hair or two, too far and it gets really muddy, almost hollow or muffled sounding.   

I think the Baker T is both articulate and a little brighter than some of my tele types, but I mainly live on the both pickup position because of the noise cancellation. I do like the neck only position because of the nice quality it provides with the volume at half to two thirds and the tone rolled back some. These settings are very dependent on the amp, and because I have quite a few amps. I am still rating the very Baker T very high, but if I want Danny Gatton/Roy Buchanan bridge pickup power, there is nothing like my Telecaster G.E. Smith model.