String spacing

Started by Katsunami, December 01, 2023, 02:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm putting together specs for a Larrivee custom build (never done this before). I primarily play finger style, and the idea behind this build would be my dream finger style guitar. One of the features I'd like is a 1 13/16" neck. I'd like (slightly) more room, without straying too far from the norm. A custom neck width is $200, with saddle spacing being another $150.

My question(s): Upon a customized 1 13/16" neck, would Larrivee automatically make the necessary adjustments with the string spacing? Or would I need to add on the $150 saddle spacing myself?
- I'm assuming saddle spacing and string spacing are the same thing?
- If I customized the wider neck, but said nothing about saddle spacing, would the strings remain with the same spacing as they would on the stock 1 3/4" neck? If so, would that mean any extra room gained (by the customized wider neck) would be on the outside of the high/low E strings? That would be odd, right?

I hope that's not as confusing to read, as it was to type...

Lastly, has anyone experimented with a 1 7/8" neck?

Thanks

Its not just the spacing at the nut you also need to change the spacing at the bridge and the string pins.

keep smilin and keep dancin   :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

My guess is you will get used to whatever it is you have. At least that's been the case for me. I've played everything from a mandolin to a four string electric bass and I can adjust accordingly. On a six string guitar my preference is for 1.75. I did have a SD50 which was 1 7/8".
Mercy, that was a sweet guitar. But 12 fret and slothead and wide neck combined resulted in it didn't get out of the case much.
Over time I have come to see guitars mostly as tools and I reach for the tool that fits my hands best and requires the least maintenance, I suppose. Perhaps some of the romance is past but the love and the passion are still strong.
What was the question?
Oh- guitars.
 :arrow

Quote from: Queequeg on December 01, 2023, 09:26:32 PMMy guess is you will get used to whatever it is you have. At least that's been the case for me. I've played everything from a mandolin to a four string electric bass and I can adjust accordingly. On a six string guitar my preference is for 1.75. I did have a SD50 which was 1 7/8".
Mercy, that was a sweet guitar. But 12 fret and slothead and wide neck combined resulted in it didn't get out of the case much.
Over time I have come to see guitars mostly as tools and I reach for the tool that fits my hands best and requires the least maintenance, I suppose. Perhaps some of the romance is past but the love and the passion are still strong.
What was the question?
Oh- guitars.
 :arrow

:thumb

I adjust to the instrument. It doesn't matter the shape or set up or if it's a five thousand, five hundred or fifty dollar guitar. The magic's in the music and the music's in me! You can always use it for a drum.  :laughin: 

Neck width essentially determines the spacing at the nut and bridge pin spacing determines spacing at the saddle. If you aren't sure which spacing should go with 1 13/16, check out the specks for a Collings DS. I know they usually use 1 13/16 and the string spacing feels great. Ask Larrivee what the default spacing will be and see if it lines up or if you will need to pay for custom spacing.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.