Has Larrivee killed your GAS for other guitars

Started by 247hoopsfan, April 22, 2010, 04:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Since buying my first (and only) I've spent more time looking at guitars (mostly via this forum) than I ever did before -- so Larrivee probably fuels my GAS more than dampening it.  It's my bank account that kills my Gas  :smile:
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Quote from: Walkerman on April 23, 2010, 11:11:19 AM
I was quite taken aback by a little firefly I saw during our tour.... :beer

Yeah, I've heard those little guitar are really nice...good luck with that...  :wink:

The research that went into finding my Larrivee awakened a genuine interest in guitars and in luthiery in general for me.  Fortunately, as this interest continues, it further confirms my choice as the right one!

The only guitars that seem better to me might be some of these individually voiced, custom hand built beauties.  But so many of those guitars start to seem more like art pieces than musical instruments.  I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable holding or playing one on a daily basis.

So in short, yes...  my one Larrivee does it for me and it has killed my GAS.  Its more than enough guitar for me to know that it will never be the limiting factor in my overall sound.

cool post...
:donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2

I just had a case of GAS.  I ordered a Larrivee SD-50!  Larrivee has created more GAS for more Larrivees!

There's a '92 L-05 that has caught my eye  :whistling:
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Quote from: Choay823 on April 24, 2010, 12:07:07 PM
The research that went into finding my Larrivee awakened a genuine interest in guitars and in luthiery in general for me.  Fortunately, as this interest continues, it further confirms my choice as the right one!

The only guitars that seem better to me might be some of these individually voiced, custom hand built beauties.  But so many of those guitars start to seem more like art pieces than musical instruments.  I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable holding or playing one on a daily basis.

So in short, yes...  my one Larrivee does it for me and it has killed my GAS.  Its more than enough guitar for me to know that it will never be the limiting factor in my overall sound.

cool post...
:donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2
:+1:
I keep playing high end gits that have all the 'right stuff' and big rep + big price. My Larrivee's give up nothing in tone or beauty or playability.  There are some exceptional guitars out there, but more of them are Larrivee's than is generally recognize, And that wonderful tone and balance!!!

:nana_guitar  :bowdown: Yummm
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Larrivees are great guitars.  But they are not the only ones that are great.  SC and Collings also make great guitars.  Martin makes so many that you're sure to find a great one in the mix. 

When the F-IV arrives, I'll have 2 Larrivees.  If the 00-03MT is as good as early reports, I might go down to one Larry. 

Variety is good.
Play it daily for best results.

Not all my gas  :winkin: but my OM-09 di slow down my interest in other OM size guitars..

I was thinking of a long winded response, but I can sum it up in one word.
No.
Gibson J-45 TV
Martin D-18
Martin OM-21

No Not at all. Ya wanna see my list?
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

I didn't know what GAS was til I came here. But I had one acoustic only, for 27 years so yea I guess the L-10 killed the GAS. I did finally get an old Gallagher and I do appreciate the differences.
It seems just getting one Larrivee for many is not enough however. They must have many Larrivees!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

When I owned an Ovation I would stop by a guitar store every week enduring serious G.A.S. Since purchasing my Larrivee I drop by a guitar store every 2 months or so. Sure, there are other great guitars out there but I am very content with my beloved Larrivee.
*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele

I still want a Martin HD-35, so I'm guessing that no, the Larrivees have not killed my GAS.

Not killed my GAS but rather ignited the GAS into a fireball! I can say that Larrivee has a some major mindshare though...
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

I guess I'd have to say yes, since the last four guitars I've purchased were Larrivees. In each case, I didn't look at any other company's offering. I like the idea of having one guitar. I have three now, but I consider my Seagull dread to be a backup--decent lefties aren't that easy to find--and my parlor specifically for playing in my office. My 90s Larrivee dread is my main instrument, and that's what I think of when I think of my guitar. It's special enough so that I don't really GAS for anything else. Thought about buying a Martin or Taylor, but never seriously considered one, just Larrivee.

I'd love to have a Martin HD-28. And there was a Bourgeois guitar that I played last year at the 12th Fret that I yearn for. I almost did the irresponsible thing of pulling out the credit card right there on the spot. Damn this self-control.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Yeah right - still have to see the brand that does that!  :blush:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

no...Larrivee has not cured my gas...but after many years of buying and selling I'm getting to a point where there are less instruments that interest me any more...and I usually can't afford the ones that do interest me...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

No, but it has fueled an appreciation for value and helped me identify what I am looking for and I would stack my two Larrivees up against anything at twice the money. 

There are too many quality builders (both large and small) to  make that kind of promise.