De-coding Larrivee Letters & Series

Started by Cardinal2b, February 25, 2023, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larrivee numbers & letters for the newbie is what I need. So, I found a pinned (sticky) thread explaining the numbering & basic features of them.
What about the letters and series (e.g. recording, Traditional, etc.)?
Would appreciate the tutorial, and maybe this should be pinned for all to find easily?
Thanks!

Thanks, but I did look at the Larrivee site before asking here. Their site does not answer my question, perhaps poorly framed. That's why I thought to ask on the Larrivee forum.

Let me try again...
Using Martin as an example, they have Style numbers - the higher the number, the fancier the trim (more or less). An 18 is less fancy than a 28, then comes a 35, then the 41, 42, and 45. In between are some rarer ones, but that's the basics. OK Larrivee has a similar pattern 02, 03, then 05 a little fancier, then 09, then 10. But then there is a separate group of numbers beginning with 40, and then 50, 60... How do these number series relate to each other? It does not appear that a 40 is necessarily fancier than a 10?

OK, now there are the prefix letters. Martin uses some numbers in prefixes, 0, 00, and 000, then OM, D, M/0000, and J. These designate body sizes, some modifiers include C for cutaway, E for electric. I think Larrivee has similar system P, L, LV, OM, D, even a C, but don't' see it laid out so that's one request I have. Guessing at these P = Parlor, L= I dunno Larrivee unique size, V = Venetian cutaway, OM = Orchestra Model, D = Dreadnaught, C = cutaway, but guessing Florentine style?

Then there are these Lines, or perhaps Series, or Groups - I'm not sure the proper term. In Martins you have Series (in roughly ascending order):  X, Road, Standard, Modern Deluxe, Authentic, and then Custom Shop. There's a couple cats and dogs (Junior, Backpacker, 15 and 16) that frankly aren't terribly well organized. There used to be more of these (!) like Marquis, Golden Era, and Vintage. Larrivee has some of these maybe (?) I see Recording, Legacy, Deluxe(?), Presentation, Traditional, - is there a rhyme or reason for these. Others I missed?

Thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure others new to the brand would appreciate it also.

Quote from: Cardinal2b on February 26, 2023, 03:10:55 PMThanks, but I did look at the Larrivee site before asking here. Their site does not answer my question, perhaps poorly framed. That's why I thought to ask on the Larrivee forum.

Let me try again...
Using Martin as an example, they have Style numbers - the higher the number, the fancier the trim (more or less). An 18 is less fancy than a 28, then comes a 35, then the 41, 42, and 45. In between are some rarer ones, but that's the basics. OK Larrivee has a similar pattern 02, 03, then 05 a little fancier, then 09, then 10. But then there is a separate group of numbers beginning with 40, and then 50, 60... How do these number series relate to each other? It does not appear that a 40 is necessarily fancier than a 10?

OK, now there are the prefix letters. Martin uses some numbers in prefixes, 0, 00, and 000, then OM, D, M/0000, and J. These designate body sizes, some modifiers include C for cutaway, E for electric. I think Larrivee has similar system P, L, LV, OM, D, even a C, but don't' see it laid out so that's one request I have. Guessing at these P = Parlor, L= I dunno Larrivee unique size, V = Venetian cutaway, OM = Orchestra Model, D = Dreadnaught, C = cutaway, but guessing Florentine style?

Then there are these Lines, or perhaps Series, or Groups - I'm not sure the proper term. In Martins you have Series (in roughly ascending order):  X, Road, Standard, Modern Deluxe, Authentic, and then Custom Shop. There's a couple cats and dogs (Junior, Backpacker, 15 and 16) that frankly aren't terribly well organized. There used to be more of these (!) like Marquis, Golden Era, and Vintage. Larrivee has some of these maybe (?) I see Recording, Legacy, Deluxe(?), Presentation, Traditional, - is there a rhyme or reason for these. Others I missed?

Thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure others new to the brand would appreciate it also.

I'll give it a shot;  Larrivee came out with Traditional Series guitars approx. 2005.  50 & 60 models designating mahogany and rosewood respectively.  The models 0-50 (parlor specs), 00-50, 000-50, OM-50 mahogany, and the same with 60 models. These models had more bling, better woods, slotted headstock (exception OM-50 and OM-60).  There are also 70 series out there that are similar and have even more more bling and sometimes different woods..

40 models are more recent and reflects different bracing patterns and more modest wood selection and appointments. Satin finish as well.

There were also custom models commissioned by different shops that closely resembled a lot of these models as well.

With respect to model names Recording, Legacy, Presentation, Traditional, usually designate different quality/ more bling.

The table at the bottom of the webpage I put a link to above details a lot.

Obviously, this has holes in it but a basic rundown...

T Travel (or Terz)
P or O parlor
OO "double ought"
OOO "triple ought"
OM orchestra model
D Dreadnaught
SD Slope shoulder dreadnaught
L Larrivee original somewhat based on classical dimensions
J Jumbo
BT Baritone  (might be just B)

01 no binding, satin finish, typically mahogany b/s, sitka top though could be other combinations of woods
02 not sure
03 with binding, satin finish, typically mahogany b/s, sitka top though could be other combinations of woods
04 not sure, but I think basically an 03 with a gloss top
05 with binding, gloss finish, typically mahogany b/s, sitka top, fancier binding, purfling, rosette and logo inlay
09 with binding, gloss finish, EIR b/s, sitka top, fancier binding, purfling, rosette and logo inlay
10 like an 09 with high grade woods and fancier inlays
11 not sure...  not sure if this is even still in the lineup
19 same as 11
72 L body presentation grade

Onto any of these can be V for venetian cutaway and/or E for electronics installed and few can be SH for slot head

the 40, 44, 50, 60, correlate wood wise to the 03, 05, 09 (basically) but have different (more Martin-like) bracing.  Again, to see the minute differences, refer to the chart on the linked page above.  And, not all body sizes are available in all the series.

Ed

Thanks that is very helpful. I will need to figure out the two (?) bracing approaches I guess.
 :guitar  :nana_guitar