New pick making my string twang

Started by Rdodger300, October 26, 2016, 07:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys, I broke down and bought a bluechip pick and I love the feel and tone, it is awesome.
I have one issue with it though, I have been using only med Guage fenders usually and the bluechip is somewhat heavier and I seem to be getting some twang sounds from my treble strings. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience and could maybe share some pointers or advice. Is it just a matter of getting used to the heavier pick or maybe my light Guage strings? Would moving to medium Guage help?
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2007 Gibson les Paul Custom
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

You'll need to lighten up your attack.I use a very thick and hard tusq picks and am using a lighter touch BUT I also use pretty heavy strings with very low action.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I round off all my picks to produce a smoother softer attack. No more sharp "ting."
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Rdodger300 on October 26, 2016, 07:16:43 PM
Hey guys, I broke down and bought a bluechip pick and I love the feel and tone, it is awesome.
I have one issue with it though, I have been using only med Guage fenders usually and the bluechip is somewhat heavier and I seem to be getting some twang sounds from my treble strings. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience and could maybe share some pointers or advice. Is it just a matter of getting used to the heavier pick or maybe my light Guage strings? Would moving to medium Guage help?

I have purchased both Blue Chip and Red Bear picks during my search and testing of many different pick makes and models, and I was not impressed with those on light gauge strings.  They tended to be too mellow and too soft sounding for my taste.  I was looking for bright and clean without any pick slap clicking on the strings when strumming.  It is an expensive pick to be experimenting with rounding off the tip that cannot be put back.  If you purchased a triangle shape, it would be more conducive to experimentation of that nature.  Just my two cents worth...
George

I think it's a mix of lite Guage strings and my attack. Just started to try and learn some bluegrass so my technique may need a little work. I think I may try medium Guage strings again to see if it helps.
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

Quote from: Rdodger300 on October 27, 2016, 04:55:17 PM
I think it's a mix of lite Guage strings and my attack. Just started to try and learn some bluegrass so my technique may need a little work. I think I may try medium Guage strings again to see if it helps.

Or, get some true bluegrass strings.

Great suggestion walkerman, bluegrass Guage works
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe