Change tuners.

Started by Gordo in OZ, August 07, 2016, 05:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just got a 1996 Larrivee L-05. I hate the standard tuners mostly because the hole is too small and makes string changes a pain. Quite different to the tuners on my other Larry. I have never changed tuners on a guitar before. Do all tuners have some sort of standard so that more holes do not have to be drilled? I like the butter bean shape but I am open to any suggestions or advice which will be very appreciated.
Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps

Quote from: Gordo in OZ on August 07, 2016, 05:40:42 AM
I just got a 1996 Larrivee L-05. I hate the standard tuners mostly because the hole is too small and makes string changes a pain. Quite different to the tuners on my other Larry. I have never changed tuners on a guitar before. Do all tuners have some sort of standard so that more holes do not have to be drilled? I like the butter bean shape but I am open to any suggestions or advice which will be very appreciated.

Most Gotoh 510 tuners just drop into the Larrivee, I believe. Have a look here.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/tuning-machines

I have installed the Gotoh 510 tuners on most of my Larrivee's.  I like the 21:1 ratio better, but the 18:1 are very good as well.  All tuners are not the same, make sure you get the 45 degree offset screw mount instead of the straight 90 degree one.  Open back tuners will likely not fit a standard larrivee, but work well on the paddle head models.  Knob selection is purely a matter of personal preference...
George

QuoteI have installed the Gotoh 510 tuners on most of my Larrivee's.  I like the 21:1 ratio better, but the 18:1 are very good as well.  All tuners are not the same, make sure you get the 45 degree offset screw mount instead of the straight 90 degree one.  Open back tuners will likely not fit a standard larrivee, but work well on the paddle head models.  Knob selection is purely a matter of personal preference...
The Gotoh ones look lovely. Do they fit without any drilling or faffing about. I see Larrivee have some third party tuners on their website that conform to the Larrivee template whatever that is. Is this something to be aware of and or beware of? Have the tuner dimensions changed over the years as far as assorted holes go.
Marshall AC50D

The Gotoh SGL510 (18:1) and SGL510Z (21:1) models will drop right in (assuming your L05 does Not have Schaller tuners)...  Be aware that the Gotoh Delta series are marketed through AllParts and are built to their specifications so their model numbers won't jive, but if you get the right ones they will fit.  Tuning machine compatibility is a learned skill set...
George

Its all a bit technical. I think I will take it to my favourite luthier and say "make it better please".
Marshall AC50D

Quote from: Gordo in OZ on August 09, 2016, 10:37:05 AM
Its all a bit technical. I think I will take it to my favourite luthier and say "make it better please".

If you get the right tuners, it's very easy. Just six screws to remove, pop 'em out, pop 'em in and then put the screws back in. I'm assuming you've removed the strings.  :laughin:

Quote from: Gordo in OZ on August 09, 2016, 10:37:05 AM

Not that technical, they only fit one side at a time.  You will also need a 10mm socket or wrench to remove/reinstall the shaft bolt/nuts...   :bgrin:
George

Getting the right size is the bit that seems hardest. I will probably buy over the internet and the cost of postage to Australia means that, if they don't fit, I am somewhat stuffed.
Marshall AC50D

Quote from: Gordo in OZ on August 10, 2016, 10:05:43 AM
Getting the right size is the bit that seems hardest. I will probably buy over the internet and the cost of postage to Australia means that, if they don't fit, I am somewhat stuffed.

Call LMII and talk with them. A phone call can make the world of difference.

QuoteCall LMII and talk with them. A phone call can make the world of difference.
What is LMII?
Marshall AC50D

Quote from: Gordo in OZ on August 13, 2016, 09:25:28 AM
What is LMII?

A great source for what you're looking for with a toll free number. 

http://www.lmii.com/

QuoteA great source for what you're looking for with a toll free number.  

http://www.lmii.com/

Probably not toll free from Australia, but I have sent them an email.  :smile:
Marshall AC50D

Here are pictures of the 510s on my Larrivee:
Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Composite Acoustics Cargo
UnclRob's Parts Telecaster

Quote from: Koamon on September 20, 2016, 12:00:15 PM
Here are pictures of the 510s on my Larrivee:

Nice tuners.  You have good taste.