larrivée rs 4 - strings

Started by Davy Vanthuyne, June 07, 2016, 02:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone remember what kind of strings a new larrivée rs 4 had when it came out of the factory? Or what kind of strings were recommended by Larrivée?
Which do you prefer? Would DR Pure blues strings be a good choice?
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster
Fender Artisan customshop Rosewood Telecaster
Olav Loef 00 'Dav L'. 2018
Olav Loef slopeshoulder 'Charlien' 2019
Olav Loef OM/D 8 string 'Otto' 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015

Larrivee has changed string brands a couple times over the years, so it's hard to say - there may have been different brands during the recent RS-4 run...

I *think* mine came with D'Addario's... I seem to recall the colored ball ends. But Larrivee also used Cleartone brand strings for awhile.

Use what you like best - Sometimes I think the cheap ol' Ernie Ball Slinkies sound just as good as anything else. And did I mention they're cheap?  :thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I like GHS rollerwound nickel rockers and they are cheap too...
George

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 07, 2016, 03:46:24 PM
Larrivee has changed string brands a couple times over the years, so it's hard to say - there may have been different brands during the recent RS-4 run...

I *think* mine came with D'Addario's... I seem to recall the colored ball ends. But Larrivee also used Cleartone brand strings for awhile.

Use what you like best - Sometimes I think the cheap ol' Ernie Ball Slinkies sound just as good as anything else. And did I mention they're cheap?  :thumb
:+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I like GHS "guitar boomers" on my RS4.  Can't remember what it came with though.  Gauge has just as much influence on sound and playability as any particular brand in my experience.  Especially on an electric guitar.  Also depends on your playing style, scale length of the guitar, and even what it is set up for.  I don't like the lighter gauge strings because I'm a relatively heavy player.  On my longer scale guitars, the Forum V RS4, Strat, and Telecaster, I use 10-46 (GHS "lights") or 11-50 (GHS "mediums").  On my shorter scale Gretsch and MIJ Gibson copies, I prefer the 11-50 (GHS "mediums").  I set up all my electrics using the medium gauge set (11-50).  If they buzz when I go down a gauge, a slight tweak of the truss rod usually fixes it.

I have no experience with DR brand strings, so can't offer any comments about them.  Strings are a pretty subjective thing and you have to try different ones to find what works best for you.  I haven't found a lot of difference in actual sound or feel from one brand to the next, so I tend to shop by price.

Hope this helps. :nana_guitar
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Thank you all for the replys :thumb
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster
Fender Artisan customshop Rosewood Telecaster
Olav Loef 00 'Dav L'. 2018
Olav Loef slopeshoulder 'Charlien' 2019
Olav Loef OM/D 8 string 'Otto' 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015

Interesting that the topic of strings came up.
I have a NAMM exibited Larrivee DV-10 Mastergrade Red Spruce top and AAAA KOA b/s. I hated the guitar because it sounded, well compressed,well balanced  but weak in bass even with mediums.
Had tried various strings with little difference. Had it on the market with a price that reflected its pedigree. Then this week I tried DR Veritas lights. It was now a guitar I had not heard!
Needless to say I am no longer trying to get rid of it.  I found on my other guitars the brand makes a difference but nothing like this. Test it out for yourself.

I never give up on a guitar until I find that "just right" string and gauge combination for it....  If not, then it goes...
George

Super slinkys.  Apparently Billy Gibbons was having a go around with BB King and they were playing each other's guitars.  Billy commented on how could BB get blues tones from such light strings.  BB smiled and ask Billy, after trying his heavies, why white boys wanted to work so hard.