Gig bags

Started by Paraclete, April 27, 2016, 10:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm thinking about getting a gig bag for my LSV.  But I'm also nervous about it for some reason.  Weird, since I only have bags for my Seagull and bass.  I have a Fender classical guitar bag for my Seagull, but that was from 1998, I think. Some how I'm concerned about the safety of my Larrivee in a bag as opposed to hard case.  And this is just for transporting to and from church or my friend's place....not flying on a plane or anything like that.  Did some forum searching and also been doing a lot of browsing on Internet retailer sites.  Any recommendations, brands, styles?  I'm not actually afraid to carry the Larrivee in a bag, but I want to get something good.  Assuming a classical sized bag will fit an LSV?
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I once had a Taylor gig bag for a parlor that I thought was quite adequate. Tough skin, plenty of padding and quality zipper.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Gig bags are good for most local transportation purposes as long as nothing untoward happens.  Have a handle or shoulder strap, keep the rain off, that's about it.

I recommend getting a very good padded one, you might even consider a featherlight bag, it offers more protection and padding but still zippers.  I ruined a brand new 000 the first day I bought it by carrying it in a cheap Gator gig back.  It put some long deep scratches down the middle of the back just putting it in and taking it out of the case one time.  Probably caused by the soft sides and sharper zippers....
George

Quote from: georbro3 on April 28, 2016, 08:54:51 AM
I recommend getting a very good padded one, you might even consider a featherlight bag, it offers more protection and padding but still zippers.  I ruined a brand new 000 the first day I bought it by carrying it in a cheap Gator gig back.  It put some long deep scratches down the middle of the back just putting it in and taking it out of the case one time.  Probably caused by the soft sides and sharper zippers....

That is one thing that does concern me....zippers.  The zipper on my Fender bag is soft with tight, rounded teeth, and I've never had problems with it with my Seagull.  But it's not as padded as I'd like, otherwise I'd just use that one.  Of course I don't care too much what happens to that Seagull (the result of having a beat to crap $400 guitar).  I did see that Gator has some higher end bags, but hard to tell from a pic online.  I guess I need to actually go to a music store one of these days.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin

Why a gig bag? Are you bicycling?

I have a Boulder Alpine Gig Bag for my Parlor.  Needed something to replace the original Larrivee bag that failed after 15 years.

Decent padding (better than the Larrivee bag).  Available in Tan which keeps the heat down.

But, I'm convinced that a guitar in a gig bag is simply going to get more beat up than one in a case.

Quote from: skyline on April 28, 2016, 09:06:40 PM
Why a gig bag? Are you bicycling?

Ha!  No...just trying to reduce the overall amount of weight I carry on Sunday mornings... Which usually involves at least a violin, the Larrivee, and sometimes a bass too.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: AZLiberty on April 29, 2016, 02:13:41 AM
I have a Boulder Alpine Gig Bag for my Parlor.  Needed something to replace the original Larrivee bag that failed after 15 years.

Decent padding (better than the Larrivee bag).  Available in Tan which keeps the heat down.

But, I'm convinced that a guitar in a gig bag is simply going to get more beat up than one in a case.

I will look into those.  I'd only be using it for days when I'm hauling more than one instrument.  Otherwise, it lives in the archtop hard shell it came in.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin