I can't seem to get my Larrivee to tune properly

Started by timsmall, March 16, 2014, 01:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone

I've been playing guitar for 20 years and owned many guitars over that time.

I always wanted a Larrivee, so bought a D-03WL from Wildwood Music in Ohio in June 2013.

I brought it home with me to South Africa and have been playing it for the last couple of months. I noticed that it was hard to get it to tune properly. For example, I would tune it normally and then put a capo on say fret 3 or 4, and some of the strings would be out. I thought maybe a setup was in order, so I got the official Larrivee truss wrench and had a setup done by a professional here. Even though the actual sound of the guitar and the playability is great, I am convinced something is  wrong with the tuning.

I have to tune the strings again for when I put a capo on. I'm using a Shubb capo, but even when I have tuned it, it doesn't sound 100%.

I did a test now and tuned it in standard tuning and played some basic chords like G, and I noticed that when I press down on the individual strings, they are actually sharp.

I even did a cover on YouTube with the guitar and someone posted saying "Sounds great, but tune the guitar!"

I've never had a problem like this before with my other guitars so I am completely dumbfounded. I just never expected to have a problem like this with a high end guitar.

If anyone can offer any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Tim
Larrivee D-03WL (Peruvian walnut back and sides / Italian alpine spruce top)

Not that  unusual to need to tune when using a capo. First and foremost, even though you've played for 20 years, are you using the capo correctly? Anyway, it's possible the setup wasn't done properly even though done by a "professional". Everyone's makes mistakes. Hard to say at a distance. Your tech should be the guy to answer your question(s).
Personally, while I know that many do, I don't like Shubbs that much. I much prefer a G7 or Planet Waves NS. Easier to use and as far as I'm concerned less likely to pull the strings to the side. 

Yeah, I realise that you do need to slightly re-tune when using a capo and I am used to this.

But I have a big problem with the low E string. I'm trying different tuners and different capos, but I'm convinced something is wrong with the Low E. It's always really out, which means something isn't right.

A friend suggested I take it to a qualified luthier.
Larrivee D-03WL (Peruvian walnut back and sides / Italian alpine spruce top)

check, double check and triple check the intonation at the saddle.
harmonic on 12fth fret, note on same fret every string should be identical against a tune or perfect pitch ears.
start there,

capos, usually throw a guitar sharp, but it sounds like you've been around long enough to know that. a trip to a different climate/ humidity might have affected the top/bridge/saddle intonation....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Like Kevin said, check the harmonic at the twelfth fret then play that same note and it should be identical. If you find nothing wrong there I'm guessing that the nut needs adjusting. If the nut slots are too high you will have the problem you are describing, I set my slots so that when the string is fretted on the third fret there is just a hair of space between the string and the first fret, maybe a couple thousands .002.
Too much relief will also cause a problem.

Can you post some pictures showing close ups of the saddle and nut?

Do you keep the guitar in a humidity controlled environment? I see you live in a climate with high average humidity levels which could make the top swell, anything creating high action will cause the notes to go sharp when fretting, even with relatively low action if you press too hard on the strings when fretting you will go sharp. High action will cause you to press harder on the strings.

If the problem is worse in the first several frets then it is probably the nut slots being too high, this is the first thing I look for when a guitar seems hard to play on the lower frets, especially when playing barre chords. Sometimes its just the slots not being consistent, uneven slots cause you to squeeze harder when playing barre's resulting in sharp notes.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

The string may be to tight in the nut slot and binding up. Perhaps the nut was filed for light strings and now using mediums?  How many wraps does the string go around the post? May be time for new strings? Just the first things that come to mind.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing