Colosi bone saddle for my OM MQ

Started by TMAC, April 16, 2008, 07:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Folks, After reading so many positive reviews of Bob's saddles I am considering ordering one from him. I would like to know more specifically (but all replies are welcome :beer) from fellow OM owners, what changes I might expect from changing the standard saddle (Tusq, I think) to Bone?
Thanks Eh, TMAC

a different sound and look; I think for the better. Being more specific than that is probably ineffective. The only way to know what it will sound like is to install one.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on April 16, 2008, 09:37:44 PM
a different sound and look; I think for the better. Being more specific than that is probably ineffective. The only way to know what it will sound like is to install one.

You also won't have to replace it as soon as a Tusq saddle. Tusq tends to slot out quicker and of course then you will be buzzing on your frets. Danny

Nice choice....Bob rocks

I obviously can't tell you what difference it will make on YOUR guitar but I can generalize about the differences  switching to bone has made on my guitars.  I've found that a switch from tusq to bone typically imparts a crisper tone with better separation between strings and notes....it has also brought about a better balance between the strings...I find tusq to impart a certain amount of "brassiness" and that bone mellows this out.  Many folks say that they get increased volume with bone but I have found just the opposite....I've noted a small decrease in volume but a general improvement in balance and tone....a fair trade off IMO.  So there is my .02 cents...YMMV.

Cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: Blue in VT on April 17, 2008, 08:49:05 AM
Nice choice....Bob rocks

I obviously can't tell you what difference it will make on YOUR guitar but I can generalize about the differences  switching to bone has made on my guitars.  I've found that a switch from tusq to bone typically imparts a crisper tone with better separation between strings and notes....it has also brought about a better balance between the strings...I find tusq to impart a certain amount of "brassiness" and that bone mellows this out.  Many folks say that they get increased volume with bone but I have found just the opposite....I've noted a small decrease in volume but a general improvement in balance and tone....a fair trade off IMO.  So there is my .02 cents...YMMV.

Cheers,

Blue
Hi Blue, what is YMMV, Danny

Your Mileage May Vary, basically standard disclaimer that poster's results are no guarantee for other people.
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Quote from: Yoyodyne on April 17, 2008, 10:50:36 AM
Your Mileage May Vary

:+1:

Thanks for clearing that up!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I am glad to get that cleared up also.  I could never figure that one out.  Everything I tried did not work out. 
:cop:
Clifford
Clifford

Larrivee L-09 Custom Moonspruce
Eastman E20SS
JWalker "Wise River"
McPherson Sable
Fender Telecaster American ProII
Furch G23SR Cutaway Sitka / Rosewood
PRS Santana Abraxas

Just remember to keep the tusq saddle in case you don't like the change.  You can just pop it back right in.  It is not expensive to at least try or you'll never know.
Larrivee OM-03MQ

Thanks for the feedback, I phoned Bob today & one will be on the way shortly. Nice guy to deal with by the way. I look forward to trying it out. Curious as to how or if it will affect the Bassiness of my guitar, which for an OM is actually fairly deep. TMAC :donut :donut :donut :coffee

My son replaced the tusk saddle on his L 03R and his OM 03 MQ.  He did the L 03 first and said it seemed to have improved the sound, but later when he replaced the tusk saddle on his OM, he said the improvement was outstanding!

I don't know why the OM showed such significant improvement compared to the L body, but that was his experience, for what it's worth.

jimmy

Maybe the original Tusq saddle was not a perfect fit. Just a thought. 
:coffee  :donut2  :donut
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

My OM-09 already had a compensated bone saddle, when I bought it, but my understanding is, that if you are going from a synthetic saddle, to bone, there are subtle improvements to tone, based upon a better vibration transfer. 

I have heard many great things, about Colosi saddles and bridge pins, and I'm seriously considering ordering my "summer" saddle from him.  You have to admit, his line is very easy on the eyes : )

Sharon
Sharon

Larrivee OM-09

~~Music is all about a movement - and if it creates movement, in at least two people, one being other than yourself, then it was all worthwhile, to have given it life...S.E.H 05|12|2007~~

By the way ........ What does it mean to say a saddle is "Compensated"?   Thanks, TMAC

Quote from: TMAC on April 26, 2008, 05:57:28 PM
By the way ........ What does it mean to say a saddle is "Compensated"?   Thanks, TMAC

When the contact point for the strings along the top of the saddle is moved back or forward to compensate/adjust for the intonation.

Quote from: TMAC on April 26, 2008, 05:57:28 PM
By the way ........ What does it mean to say a saddle is "Compensated"?   Thanks, TMAC

TMAC...just to add a tad bit more clarification, the compensated area of the saddle, is the shaped angling, at the 2nd string, [B-string], point.
Sharon

Larrivee OM-09

~~Music is all about a movement - and if it creates movement, in at least two people, one being other than yourself, then it was all worthwhile, to have given it life...S.E.H 05|12|2007~~

Quote from: eighthnote on April 28, 2008, 12:16:38 PM
TMAC...just to add a tad bit more clarification, the compensated area of the saddle, is the shaped angling, at the 2nd string, [B-string], point.

Each string can be compensated not just the B string.

Thanks for the clarification folks, but why the special angle for the B string?
tmac

Quote from: TMAC on April 28, 2008, 06:21:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification folks, but why the special angle for the B string?
tmac

It's not the angle, it's the point where it contacts the saddle - thus making the distance between the nut and saddle longer.