Question about a cracked C-09

Started by edward, June 06, 2007, 08:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hello,

i've been looking around for a c-09 for a little while now, and have found a 1994/5 for sale locally.  i've been in touch with the seller and seen a few pics of the guitar - apparently there is a small finish crack on the soundboard and an actual "hairline crack" along the back due to a previous humidity problem.  the seller apparently has contacted larrivee who have told him that it would in no way affect the sound of the guitar.

while i'm sure the crack would mostly be just a cosmetic thing at this point, any chance this could become a more major problem in the future?  i wonder if i should take it to a luthier and have it repaired or if it would be fine just to maintain the guitar at proper humidity.  it's a beautiful guitar and i know if i go to play it and it's as described, it's going to be hard to pass up . . .

thanks so much!

:ph34r:

Use it as a bidding point, you know "well I'd love to have it, it's just those cracks that are bothering me....." 

But honestly, cracks are not a big deal but they should always be repaired though.  Take it to a good luthier and they will fix you right up and it's really not an expensive repair depending on the location(in this case it doesn't seem like a problem).  It won't effect the tone so don't worry about it.