Are You a String Bender?

Started by ducktrapper, December 02, 2023, 10:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When I think of bends I mostly think the blues (which I'm addicted to!)
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on December 04, 2023, 05:24:40 PMWhen I think of bends I mostly think the blues (which I'm addicted to!)

The blues had a baby and they named it rock'n'roll!  :nana_guitar

Quote from: Silence Dogood on December 04, 2023, 10:40:50 AMI don't see how anyone could play guitar and NOT bend?  Man, it's at the heart of how I play guitar.  That and harmonics, which I admittedly overuse. 
Me too. I use lots of harmonics and wonder if I'm dong too much of a good thing.

Quote from: B0WIE on December 04, 2023, 03:49:29 PMI play a wide variety of things from classical to folk to rock and I can't think of a song I've play on acoustic in the last few years that used bends. I'm actually curious what songs people are playing that use all these bends on acoustic. Blues makes complete sense, as do solos.

I play an instrumental version of Desperado. (Don't judge me, Eagles haters!)
Forgive this Monday night slap/dash recording.
I bend the D at the 3rd fret on the 2nd string a half step to a D# throughout the tune.
To me it just sounds better than simply going directly to the D#.

Quote from: Queequeg on December 04, 2023, 07:15:37 PMMe too. I use lots of harmonics and wonder if I'm dong too much of a good thing.

I bend the D at the 3rd fret on the 2nd string a half step to a D# throughout the tune.

We'd love to hear it!

Quote from: Queequeg on December 04, 2023, 07:15:37 PMI play an instrumental version of Desperado.
It is good. I like it.
Well decorated Larrivee. is it an -05 or -09?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: Queequeg on December 04, 2023, 08:14:54 PMIt's linked in the post above.

Doh.  :doh

Very nice. Slides, hammers, pulls and bends! When I found out about that stuff, I was hooked.

Quote from: Queequeg on December 04, 2023, 07:15:37 PMMe too. I use lots of harmonics and wonder if I'm dong too much of a good thing.

Some fine playing there!  (You don't look anything like how I pictured you though.)  I'd also love to hear about (and see in detail) the interesting graphics on your guitar.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on December 04, 2023, 10:31:00 PMSome fine playing there!  (You don't look anything like how I pictured you though.)  I'd also love to hear about (and see in detail) the interesting graphics on your guitar.

I'm shocked at how young we all look!  :laughin:

Quote from: mike in lytle on December 04, 2023, 08:26:30 PMIt is good. I like it.
Well decorated Larrivee. is it an -05 or -09?
Mike
This is an L-09 I bought new in 2009. Has a lovely quilted sapele back.

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 04, 2023, 10:47:44 PMI'm shocked at how young we all look!  :laughin:
haha

Quote from: Silence Dogood on December 04, 2023, 10:31:00 PMSome fine playing there!  (You don't look anything like how I pictured you though.)  I'd also love to hear about (and see in detail) the interesting graphics on your guitar.
I shipped it to Peter Cree in Philadelphia who specializes in painting guitars. Peter used to post here fairly regularly and he documented the process here on the forum.
Anyway, I told him that I wanted a Celtic theme on it and left the rest up to him. These images are from the ancient Book of Kells, an illuminated manuscript and Celtic Gospel book in Latin at Trinity College in Dublin, founded in 1592.
Here's the link with images he posted detailing the work through the winter of 2012.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=39233.0
Thanks guys.

Nice playing and nice guitar! :nice guitar: Desperado is a great song, and one I play on my Larrivee mandolins, upon which I do not bend! 
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Wow, that's a really cool design. 

Great playing, and I am STUNNED by how the artwork turned out on your Larrivee!  I found Peter Cree's website and his artwork on guitars is amazing.  That must have taken a lot of courage to decide to add that artwork to your guitar, but it is beautiful! I'm very impressed. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R