Solar Eclipse 10-14-2023

Started by mike in lytle, October 13, 2023, 09:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pretty sure no one is really interested in the annular (ring of fire) solar eclipse tomorrow, Saturday 10-14-2023.
The absolute center of totality will go over our house just before noon, CST.
We did tomorrow's shopping today, so we don't have to go out. There will be a LOT of people driving in from the east and west to see it.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on October 13, 2023, 09:23:44 PMPretty sure no one is really interested in the annular (ring of fire) solar eclipse tomorrow, Saturday 10-14-2023.
The absolute center of totality will go over our house just before noon, CST.
We did tomorrow's shopping today, so we don't have to go out. There will be a LOT of people driving in from the east and west to see it.
Mike

I was going to say, I'm probably too far north to see much. Plus it's been cloudy and rainy all week.

My wife was telling me something about this earlier but it went in one ear and out the other. I guess she's going to have me check it out. I'm not really into astronomical events though I do recall being in 3rd grade and there was an eclipse that they said would blind you. I, being forever defiant, looked at it and thought I actually went blind for a few seconds. Luckily, it didn't do any long term damage.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on October 13, 2023, 09:53:14 PMMy wife was telling me something about this earlier but it went in one ear and out the other. I guess she's going to have me check it out. I'm not really into astronomical events though I do recall being in 3rd grade and there was an eclipse that they said would blind you. I, being forever defiant, looked at it and thought I actually went blind for a few seconds. Luckily, it didn't do any long term damage.

I'm probably too far away.

We will be able to see it in Texas. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 13, 2023, 10:40:52 PMI'm probably too far away.
It's ok. An annular eclipse isn't as awesome as a total eclipse.
The total eclipse will be April 8, next year. Our house will be right on the border of totality, guess that means we have to make a beer run to catch the corona, cause unless you are actually in the zone, you don't see the corona.
Mike

Too far from my home also but I look forward to seeing the photographs.
I always enjoy checking out the latest images from the JWST, too.

We got an 80% experience. Looked like the sun was on a dimmer switch. Not quite the same as being overcast. While it wasn't too exciting it was something to do with the wife so that was good.

Our experience was pretty good. We had a bit of cloud cover, but I did get a glimpse of the total annularity, then a couple minutes later the clouds broke and we were able to see the rest of it as the moon moved forth from "not-quite total". The eclipse glasses we had worked great. It did get a bit cooler outside and a bit dimmer, but birds did not stop chirping or flying, and the annularity covered less of the sun than I thought. Overall, worth it. I may have to rethink our plans for next year total eclipse, since we are quite rural and only have to drive a few miles to be in the path of the corona.
Although we had heard that the electrical power might suffer due to lack of sun because the Texas grid relies on sun and wind for peak power generation, we had no ill effects. The weather has been cooler over the last week, so consumption was probably lower.
Mike

Did anyone else notice the odd shadows the eclipse was casting?  Little half moon shapes.  Pretty neat.  8C3A6198-CC6F-4EC8-BEB4-A4638698483F.JPG

Quote from: Silence Dogood on October 15, 2023, 08:33:07 AMDid anyone else notice the odd shadows the eclipse was casting?  Little half moon shapes.  Pretty neat.  8C3A6198-CC6F-4EC8-BEB4-A4638698483F.JPG
I suppose if it was a total eclipse those crescent moons would've been full rings or circles.

Quote from: Queequeg on October 15, 2023, 11:17:50 AMI suppose if it was a total eclipse those crescent moons would've been full rings or circles.

Interesting. I think it needs to refract or reflect to do that. I wonder what made it do that so many times. Maybe another object nearby? I was in the backyard so I didn't see any reflections.

Quote from: B0WIE on October 15, 2023, 12:52:44 PMInteresting. I think it needs to refract or reflect to do that. I wonder what made it do that so many times. Maybe another object nearby? I was in the backyard so I didn't see any reflections.
Leaves on a tree or shrub will allow tiny pinholes of light to pass through, casting the shape of the eclipse on a surface. Same as making a pinhole in a shoebox and looking at the light cast on the opposite inside end of the box, except in the tree/shrub example, you end up with hundreds of images.
Mike

The shadows were coming through some crepe myrtle trees.  It happened all over the neighborhood and some of my neighbors took pics as well.  I thought it was pretty neat.