New (to me) 1939 Gibson L-50

Started by prof_stack, April 19, 2019, 11:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New to my small herd is a 1939 Gibson L-50 archtop.  I got it from archtop.com which has a boatload of old and new archtop guitars for sale, most on consignment.

80-year old wood can be magical, and this guitar has a depth of sound that just amazes.  The bass is powerful, clear, and cuts through so easily.  The mid-range, what archtops are usually known for, is loud, punchy, and sweet.  The highs are bell-like.  The wood vibrates so freely and there is more felt in the neck than I am used to.

It has the traditional jazz comping sound if played in that style.  Right now I play it more like Mother Maybell Carter played her Gibson archtop(s) along with flatpicking, and some jazz chords (most any type chord sounds wonderful).

This model is all solid-wood with carved top and bottom.  Spruce top and maple back and sides.  The top has finish checking and a few wear marks, as would be expected on an old guitar.  This guitar was considered the "working man's guitar" and was the best selling archtop in Gibson's line in the late '30s.  The L-5 model is the fancier one with similar body woods and is much costlier now as it was back then. 

This guitar is my daily player now.  The awesome Forum IV guitar comes out here and there. 

LOL, the cobwebs look like cracks. 
The original tuners work okay but I might get some appropriate better ones later.

Here it is with my Godin Jazz Model archtop.

With Martin Retro Monel 13's (mediums) the Godin sounds really nice, especially for an all laminate guitar. 

Play it daily for best results.

:drool: I love archtops,mostley old Gibson and Epiphone's.I miss the one's I owned my two L7's and my L48.Wonderful guitars for all style's of music.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hi Barefoot Rob,

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on April 19, 2019, 11:31:02 AM
:drool: I love archtops,mostley old Gibson and Epiphone's.I miss the one's I owned my two L7's and my L48.Wonderful guitars for all style's of music.

Did you finally sell that L7? 😥

Quote from: ST on April 19, 2019, 02:28:32 PM
Hi Barefoot Rob,

Did you finally sell that L7? 😥

Yep it went to England and I miss her and her sisters. :crying:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool