Using a delay pedal with Acoustic

Started by Sandstorm, July 04, 2024, 01:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I been messing around on Garage Band with my OM-40 and my Rode mics and was feeling adventurous to experiment with some reverb and delays.  I never thought I'd want to add such effects to an acoustic tone and having been listening to a lot of modern finger style players, it seems a lot have this vary spacious sound.  I found for some things, it really adds a lot.  Of course, in moderation...it's easy to go overboard...but fun for the novelty of it once in a while.

So I am contemplating getting a sound hole pick-up and a delay pedal and renting an acoustic amp for a while.

LR Bags makes a delay pedal and the marketing makes me believe there's something about the way it's designed to work best with acoustics.  Ideally, I'd like more than one delay option, and specifically for something that has a Mod delay type setting. 

Is there anything wrong with using something like a Boss DD8 or should one specifically look for acoustic effect pedals such as the one from LR Baggs?

IMO, acoustic pickups sound like trash compared to proper micing. You're much better off micing your sound and adding delay after. If it's heavy delay and your performance depends on that delay then disregard but I would never recommend using an amp just to add delay. You lose so much in tonal quality.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on July 04, 2024, 01:25:57 PMIMO, acoustic pickups sound like trash compared to proper micing. You're much better off micing your sound and adding delay after. If it's heavy delay and your performance depends on that delay then disregard but I would never recommend using an amp just to add delay. You lose so much in tonal quality.

My preference would be to mic however, the mic may pick-up the sound from the speaker and create an infinite feedback repeats with the delay.  Is that what you mean by heavy delay?

I'm not crazy about any guitar electronics, but I could tolerate them if I knew they could be added or removed as needed without permanent modification. 

FWIW, I run my FORUM VI LSV03 through a Fishman Loudbox Mini and use a Behringer Vintage Delay pedal. When I ordered my FVI, I added an Anthem Dual Source no-cut pickup and Venetian cutaway when I ordered it. I have a Fishman Humbucking soundhole pickup for my other acoustic guitar including two dreads, an OM and a 000. 

I also have GarageBand loaded onto my MacBook Pro and run through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface. I can run it through my speakers or my Sony Headphones.

Quote from: Sandstorm on July 04, 2024, 01:34:57 PMMy preference would be to mic however, the mic may pick-up the sound from the speaker and create an infinite feedback repeats with the delay.  Is that what you mean by heavy delay?

I'm not crazy about any guitar electronics, but I could tolerate them if I knew they could be added or removed as needed without permanent modification. 
Maybe I misunderstood. I took it as you would record with an amp, rather than the acoustic sound of the guitar, in order to have delay. That's what I was commenting on.
If you record the acoustic sound and add delay w/ software after, it's better. By "heavy delay" I'm talking about songs where you need to hear the delay to perform the song correctly. However, you can do this with software too w/ routing.

I have a bud who's playing out who use delay on a few tunes.Hes running Baggs active I Beams thru wireless system to a mixer.Not sure what pedal.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: B0WIE on July 04, 2024, 06:11:02 PMMaybe I misunderstood. I took it as you would record with an amp, rather than the acoustic sound of the guitar, in order to have delay. That's what I was commenting on.
If you record the acoustic sound and add delay w/ software after, it's better. By "heavy delay" I'm talking about songs where you need to hear the delay to perform the song correctly. However, you can do this with software too w/ routing.

Well I came across using delay when recording and using garage band, but sometimes I'm jamming and working out stuff to my drum machine or drum beat in garage band...I can use delay and listen to the mix in headphones but it's not possible to jam and listen thru the speaker monitors because the mic is picking up the drums and repeats.

What I'd like to be able to do is jam in my room hearing the drum machine and live delay without infinite feedback which makes me think I need a pickup in the guitar that wouldn't "pick up" the repeats from speaker monitors or amp speaker.  And second would be a dedicated delay pedal and was wondering if there is anything specifically required on a purpose built acoustic delay pedal vs an ordinary Boss unit.

Quote from: Sandstorm on July 05, 2024, 03:25:02 AMWell I came across using delay when recording and using garage band, but sometimes I'm jamming and working out stuff to my drum machine or drum beat in garage band...I can use delay and listen to the mix in headphones but it's not possible to jam and listen thru the speaker monitors because the mic is picking up the drums and repeats.

What I'd like to be able to do is jam in my room hearing the drum machine and live delay without infinite feedback which makes me think I need a pickup in the guitar that wouldn't "pick up" the repeats from speaker monitors or amp speaker.  And second would be a dedicated delay pedal and was wondering if there is anything specifically required on a purpose built acoustic delay pedal vs an ordinary Boss unit.

I see. Delay pedals are quite simple and it's mostly just the character of the repeats (the delayed signal usually has some EQ to it so it's not as bright) that varies. It doesn't need to be an acoustic-specific one. If you get one with wet/dry function, you can get the delays to sound without the guitar coming through the speaker, if that's desirable to you. That's probably the way I'd go since jamming with an amped acoustic in the room might be unnecessarily loud.

Quote from: B0WIE on July 05, 2024, 12:49:35 PMI see. Delay pedals are quite simple and it's mostly just the character of the repeats (the delayed signal usually has some EQ to it so it's not as bright) that varies. It doesn't need to be an acoustic-specific one. If you get one with wet/dry function, you can get the delays to sound without the guitar coming through the speaker, if that's desirable to you. That's probably the way I'd go since jamming with an amped acoustic in the room might be unnecessarily loud.

Appreciate the "feedback" fellas, haha.

Here's another question about delay...and pardon my ignorance, the acoustic pickup, amps, preamps is a  new world for me and of course there's an abundance of products and options out there so I'm still trying to understand what exactly I'd need to do what I want.

Does a delay on acoustic need to go in a loop or can I plug into it, then into an amp or preamp box?  My experience with electric guitars was that you might get away with delay in front if its into a clean amp and the delay isn't too long, otherwise repeats get distorted and sounds awful.  So if you're playing acoustic, is delay in front going to be fine?

Quote from: Sandstorm on July 07, 2024, 03:23:32 AMAppreciate the "feedback" fellas, haha.

Here's another question about delay...and pardon my ignorance, the acoustic pickup, amps, preamps is a  new world for me and of course there's an abundance of products and options out there so I'm still trying to understand what exactly I'd need to do what I want.

Does a delay on acoustic need to go in a loop or can I plug into it, then into an amp or preamp box?  My experience with electric guitars was that you might get away with delay in front if its into a clean amp and the delay isn't too long, otherwise repeats get distorted and sounds awful.  So if you're playing acoustic, is delay in front going to be fine?
You can do both. Loop it when you don't want other things in the chain to color the delay, or the opposite, when you want the amp's coloration (distortion, eq, etc) to be port of the delayed signal.