FORUM III - Original Purchaser - LIKE NEW

Started by Safricanplayer, December 13, 2020, 10:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's hard to believe, but it's been about a decade since I was active on this forum. Reading through all the old Forum III posts it seems like yesterday since we were swept up in the excitement and comraderie surrounding this build. I purchased both an ALL HOG for myself, and an Italian Spruce / RW Forum III for my daughter - #46/78. Well it's been a decade+ ..... and with my daughter hardly having played the guitar, I decided to bring it home and use the sale proceeds to set up a college fund for my granddaughter.

I noticed that Jim of Trinity Guitars retired a few years back, and having recently retired myself, time has moved on and I must now thin the herd as part of a personal effort to downsize and simplify my life. The IS Spruce / RW Forum III #46 has literally been sitting in its case in my daughters home for the better part of 10 years. I cannot find a mark on the instrument - and aside from the fact that it does not have the registration card, it is in immaculate / like new condition. I am going to have a local luthier at the renowned 12th Fret here in Portland, OR do a fret dress, adjust the neck and do a complete set up prior to the sale. There are plenty of historical posts regarding all the fine attributes of this great guitar, so if you ever wanted an IS/RW Forum III ....... this one is literally a time capsule. I'd love to see #46 find a great home, as there is a lot of history and good vibes associated with these wonderful limited run Forum III guitars. I plan on taking the guitar in this week, so it will probably be a week or two before it is ready for sale. If you'd like some pics, Email me your phone # to raybirch58@gmail.com and I'll send some over to you. The original case is included along with a fresh fret dress and setup. Asking $1195 firm + shipping cost to your location. Happy to answer any questions - Ray (safricanplayer)
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

I tried to email but I got an error that says "The email account that you tried to reach does not exist."

Can you send me pics? My email is crywolf@me.com.

Thanks,
Kevin

Ah - the dreaded sellers remorse :-)

Spending a bit of time with the Forum III (despite a badly needed setup and fret dress) has me reconsidering selling it. Yes, I have to thin the herd, but I currently have no rosewood guitars in my predominantly older Martin small bodied guitar line up, and I'm a huge 12 fret fan. The Forum III is definitely something special, and hearing the guitar tech play it this afternoon when I dropped it off, left me anxious to pick it up again in a few weeks. Going thru my guitar file, I found the original invoice, along with the original saddle from Larrivee (Jim upgraded each guitar with a custom saddle) and the registration card that I never sent in. This is truly a time capsule and I keep wondering how you could find a nicer sounding guitar at this price point ..... but I keep telling my wife that too ..... 6 guitars later :-) Through the forum, I have a preliminary commitment from a local player to buy it, if and when I decide to sell it. Should that change, I'll put it back up on the forum.

For those fortunate enough to own one of these ..... Enjoy it :thumbsup

Thanks to all for your interest.

~ Ray ~
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

:+1: Great decision. DO NOT SELL THAT GUITAR.
I absolutely love my Forum III....and it is just getting better the more I play it. :nanadance
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

I have Jim's invoice on my bulletin board  and my forum III #3 sitting next to me.   I agree, it would be really hard to find a better guitar for the price.   Mine is one of the all mahogany versions

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 19, 2020, 05:08:46 PM
I have Jim's invoice on my bulletin board  and my forum III #3 sitting next to me.   I agree, it would be really hard to find a better guitar for the price.   Mine is one of the all mahogany versions

I also originally owned one of the all hog versions and bet yours sounds great 10+ years later :thumbsup  Looking forward to picking up my Forum III next week from the luthier.
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

I'm bummed I wasn't around for the last Forum build. When can we put together the next one!?
Larrivee - SD50
Martin - 000-15m
Recording King - RD-328
Eastman - 810CE (archtop)
Taylor - Baby Taylor Bubinga

Quote from: torton on December 29, 2020, 08:49:41 AM
I'm bummed I wasn't around for the last Forum build. When can we put together the next one!?

Probably whenever we can get 10-12 people to agree on a guitar with the exact same specs... there probably won't ever be another built like the Forum III build (I missed that one too): it had many more options than a builder usually allows: choice of top woods, and choice of body/b&s woods.

Tough these days to find 10-12 people who want exactly the same thing (that they can't already find - or get close to - with a standard series model).

Anyway, then the next step is to approach a dealer who will order the guitars for the group. If you got lucky and got close to 10/12 commitments, if the dealer likes the build, and thinks he can sell a few more; he/she might make up the difference (of 3-4 more instruments) to help you get to that magic number of 10/12.

I'd personally be in for a "rebuild" of the Forum IV (an all hog 00), or something similar, and I'd probably be willing to order two - a lefty for myself and a righty for my wife (which my son or grandson would inherit someday).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

So here's one idea to get us started:

Forum build idea (I believe this might be Forum VII if we did it):

00 body size
03 / Satin series finish
Mahogany top, back & sides
SHORT SCALE NECK / 24 3/4"
other simple appointments, like maybe diamonds or snowflakes on the fret board
Nothing else "special" to jack the price up too high

P.S. I'd also certainly be open to another build like the Forum III; an LS body with a 12 fret neck; my 12 fret C-03R-TE (Tommy Emmanuel) is a joy to play (and listen to)!

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 29, 2020, 11:04:03 AM

00 body size
03 / Satin series finish
Mahogany top, back & sides
SHORT SCALE NECK / 24 3/4"
other simple appointments, like maybe diamonds or snowflakes on the fret board
Nothing else "special" to jack the price up too high

P.S. I'd also certainly be open to another build like the Forum III; an LS body with a 12 fret neck; my 12 fret C-03R-TE (Tommy Emmanuel) is a joy to play (and listen to)!

That would be pretty fun! I'd be open to almost anything except something with a cutaway. Just my bias.
Larrivee - SD50
Martin - 000-15m
Recording King - RD-328
Eastman - 810CE (archtop)
Taylor - Baby Taylor Bubinga

Quote from: torton on December 29, 2020, 12:40:13 PM

That would be pretty fun! I'd be open to almost anything except something with a cutaway. Just my bias.

I think a cutaway would be a no-go for most of us; first, it adds around $250-300 to the bottom line, and second, most people simply don't want/need one (and there are plenty of Larrivee's around with cutaways; unlike "traditional" Martins, which look wonky with a cutaway, the L-body lends itself very well to the cutaway design - which then modifies the "L" body into the "C" body; C-03, C-05, C-09, etc.)

I have a Forum III and its such a special guitar in many ways.  I havent been onto the forum much lately but I came back on tonight wondering if there might be plans for the next Forum guitar.  I'm glad people are talking about it.  I am interested

Can I suggest that, if this idea is to gain some momentum, more people would need to read this thread.  However, I don't think that the heading will give any idea that the topic has gone on to a new Forum build.  I'm thinking that the subject topic needs to change or this should be in a topic of its own maybe?

Quote from: jazzereh on January 09, 2021, 09:25:43 AM
Can I suggest that, if this idea is to gain some momentum, more people would need to read this thread.  However, I don't think that the heading will give any idea that the topic has gone on to a new Forum build.  I'm thinking that the subject topic needs to change or this should be in a topic of its own maybe?

Anyone who is truly passionate about exploring the next Forum guitar can start a thread and try to gauge interest level. Go for it.

I would think that the first step would be to find a dealer who would be interested In coordinating a Forum run. The second step would be to determine Wood option, neck, scale length  I.e.

Back and sides - rosewood, mahogany or maple
Top - Sitka or some variation of spruce or Mahogany
Neck and scale length

Here's what I would like to see and most likely order:

00 body with mahogany Top, back and sides, gold tuners, bone nut and saddle, 12 fret short scale and a nice case. That would make a nice and unique forum guitar.

I would consider 14 fret if that's what the majority wanted.

Quote from: teh on January 09, 2021, 06:11:32 PM

Here's what I would like to see and most likely order:

00 body with mahogany Top, back and sides, gold tuners, bone nut and saddle, 12 fret short scale and a nice case. That would make a nice and unique forum guitar.

I would consider 14 fret if that's what the majority wanted.

I could go for that - I would want the tuners to be open gear - they're lighter and more "vintage" style. (I'd probably later switch out the gold for nickel, but that's a minor personal preference.)

:thumb

I'd certainly consider any type of Forum OO offer, it being my favorite body size

To make it a special unique offering I think there'd be interest in a short scale neck

I'd like to see a gloss top option, the -40 bracing, & Italian spruce top

I'd love to consider a flamed maple back and sides, but I couldn't possibly order one without hearing one play
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 29, 2020, 11:04:03 AM

Forum V1 actually

Quote from: teh on January 09, 2021, 06:11:32 PM
I would think that the first step would be to find a dealer who would be interested In coordinating a Forum run. The second step would be to determine Wood option, neck, scale length  I.e.
I think 1st step would be all agreeing on what you want within a reasonable range of choice dressings

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 09, 2021, 03:02:48 PM
Anyone who is truly passionate about exploring the next Forum guitar can start a thread and try to gauge interest level. Go for it.

:+1:

Should you get the interest I'd be happy to assist in any way requested/needed
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Hmmm... I would be interested in an 00 12 fret, short scale, rosewood b&s, cedar top, open back tuners, satin finish...

Quote from: JustJeff on January 10, 2021, 07:12:56 PM
Hmmm... I would be interested in an 00 12 fret, short scale, rosewood b&s, cedar top, open back tuners, satin finish...

Hmmm back at 'cha. I don't have a lot of experience with Cedar, but I hear it softens the tone a bit.  I'd consider it . . .

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I recall that the Larrivee's didn't like doing cedar tops cause the wood is oilier than spruce making it harder to keep the bridges glued on?
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist