Cedar/Walnut Forum Guitar

Started by mcclurew, January 27, 2011, 11:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think a Cedar/Walnut guitar similar to the one below in a satin finish would make a nice forum guitar.  The description says it was purchased new in 2010 so I'm thinking it was made recently.  I'll check the serial number when I get a moment.

Ebay Link

Billy

[attachment deleted by admin]

I'd be game for:

L Body,
12 frets to the body
Cedar/Walnut
Larger soundhole (like the traditional models)
Short scale!
1 23/32" nut width (the happy medium  :tongue: )

And not satin.
Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Quote from: KenHolden on January 27, 2011, 03:20:33 PM
I'd be game for:

L Body,
12 frets to the body
Cedar/Walnut
Larger soundhole (like the traditional models)
Short scale!
1 23/32" nut width (the happy medium  :tongue: )

And not satin.

herringbone rosette and purfling, maple binding body and neck?  no ivoroid?

Agreed.

I'd be in for a cedar walnut OM or L.  Last year we had several folks lined up but Jean said NO.  We could try again.

thats a really beautiful guitar
04' Larrivee OM-03MT Forum I #9 of 17
08' Larrivee L-03R(E; Baggs)
09' Larrivee OO-03 Special Edition
00' Larrivee D-02
09' Baden A-Style Hog/Cedar
07' Breedlove Concert Maple
LTD ESP F-250
Ibanez S7420
QuoteAnyone's Everything.

The serial number places it after February 2010 and before August 2010 (thanks ST !) so maybe Jean has changed his mind or found a decent supply of wood. 

Billy

[attachment deleted by admin]

[... never mind ...]

That OM is beautiful.

Better yet, offer two necks choices (both 12 fret, of course). The wider nut option should include wider bridge spacing.

Wouldn't it be nice for everyone to agree on the major elements of a forum guitar?: Body style, tone wood top and B/S, neck width, frets to the body, etc. Then the only option would be trim and maybe (for a price) gloss (I'm a sucker for gloss). It seems like whenever another forum guitar is discussed there are so many "ideal" guitar designs that it isn't a forum guitar anymore but everyones "dream" guitar and then it doesn't get built.

As to the question of Cedar/Walnut? Oh My!!!! If I had a "dream guitar" that would be IT!!! I certainly don't have the funds right now but in a few years when they hit the secondary market.... Just make sure some have herringbone!

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on January 28, 2011, 11:29:27 AM
Wouldn't it be nice for everyone to agree on the major elements of a forum guitar?:

I'll agree with all the major elements as long as I get to pick all the major elements....

:cheers

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: ffinke on January 28, 2011, 11:29:27 AM
Wouldn't it be nice for everyone to agree on the major elements of a forum guitar?: Body style, tone wood top and B/S, neck width, frets to the body, etc. Then the only option would be trim and maybe (for a price) gloss (I'm a sucker for gloss). It seems like whenever another forum guitar is discussed there are so many "ideal" guitar designs that it isn't a forum guitar anymore but everyones "dream" guitar and then it doesn't get built.

As to the question of Cedar/Walnut? Oh My!!!! If I had a "dream guitar" that would be IT!!! I certainly don't have the funds right now but in a few years when they hit the secondary market.... Just make sure some have herringbone!

f

Here here ff.  I don't think we need a huge number of people to get some made.  What were the numbers on the previous forum guitars other than the F-III's?  It seems they don't mind making small runs. 

Billy

Quote from: mcclurew on January 28, 2011, 09:29:17 PM
Here here ff.  I don't think we need a huge number of people to get some made.  What were the numbers on the previous forum guitars other than the F-III's?  It seems they don't mind making small runs.  

Billy

As I recall the number they wanted was 8 to do a special run.  

Just remember that anything special in terms of neck width, bridge spacing, # of frets, bridge spacing etc. is going to require them to build new CAD models, new jigs etc. That adds a lot on a per guitar basis to a small run.  For example: When L.A. Guitar Sales did the short scale OO-03R the short scale added about $200 to the price of the guitar, and that was a 20 or 30 piece run.  Amortize that out over 10 guitars and it starts getting to be real money.

A 12 fret L body would require some significant CNC programing and new jigs because as far as I know they have never done one.  On the other hand, a 12-fret OM shouldn't see much of an up-charge if any since they have done this before and have the tooling.

Anyway, I'd go for an OM or L bodied Cedar/Walnut.  I'd prefer a standard 1 3/4" neck. I'd probably be priced out of an -09 trim level guitar, but an -04 level (gloss top, matte back sides) might keep it affordable enough for more buyers.

As for a wider bridge spacing, has Larrivee ever done a wider spacing on any model?  If not, I suspect the answer on that would be a straight out NO.

Larrivee has built specials for Wildwood and 12th Fret with 2 1/4" bridge spacing. I don't know what the spacing is on the SD guitars, but I'm sure it is at least 2 1/4. Commiting the body to a specific  string spacing probably doesn't happen until late in the process.

Larrivee has built 12 fret long scale necks in at least 1 11/16, 1 3/4, 1 7/8. I know they've built a 1 13/16 14 fret neck, but I'm not aware of a 12. I don't know what short scale designs exist already, other than the Parlor, which is probably a little TOO short.

In the Forum I, the 12 fret bracing design wasn't much different from the 14 fret designs. The bridge plate was larger and shifted aft. That's about it.

The dovetails may be hand fitted in final assembly, but I'm sure they are initially CNC machined to common dimensions. As long as the scale is held constant, swapping one existing neck design for another should be trivial. The neck is installed after the body is finished.

Creating a new neck carve design probably is a bigger task.

Quote from: sgarnett on January 29, 2011, 07:48:18 AM
I know they've built a 1 13/16 14 fret neck, but I'm not aware of a 12. 

The 000-60 and 000-50 are 12 fret, 25.5", 1 13/16" necks with 2 1/4" spacing at the bridge.

Yes!!! Throw that 000-50 neck on an L-05 and I'd order today (seriously).

After pondering some more, I'm not sure what the balance would be like on a 12 fret cedar-top. At least on the Forum I, the shifted bridge gives the bass some real authority compared to a 14 fret OM. As I understand it, cedar and walnut both mellow the tone somewhat. I wonder if a 12 fret cedar and walnut guitar would be too much of a good thing? I bet it would sound great with lowered tunings, though.

Perhaps a cedar and walnut 12 fretter would work better as an OM (though that would knock me out, since I need the L size to avoid a nerve issue).

Yep, it'd have to be an L05 or traditionl SD "full gloss, etc. and most important to me Black Walnut.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

I just remembered to check the 2011 NAMM thread. There is now a 1 13/16" 12 fret paddlehead neck available on the SD.

Here are links to mp3 files of a McIlroy A25 with the walnut/cedar combination that just sold at Paramount.  Obviously it will sound different than a Larrivee but you can A/B it with other McIlroys for a wood comparo.  Pay no attention to the gorgeous LS-09 Braz elsewhere on their site.   :ohmy:

Walnut/Cedar

Sitka/Rosewood

Italian/Mahogany

Billy

Where do these "limited edition" "small batch" "three of a kind" models come from, and where and how could a man ever know of their availability?  Think of all of us who don't even have a retail outlet nearby that carries Larrivee's, and then you see something like this beaut of eBay!  Where did it come from, and how many are out there?

I played a rosewood body/walnut top Goodall recently in Atlanta that was out of this world.  It was almost $4K (used but perfect).  I'm sure this Larry is close to that Goodall at a fraction of the cost.  So, where do these things come from?

Chas.