WTB Larrivee P-01 parlor guitar

Started by geodr, September 24, 2010, 07:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have one of the newer P-03 special edition parlors which I'm really happy with.  As for the 01, 03, and , 05 I think most would agree that they will most likely sound pretty close.  It's been my experience with the parlor that you get a bigger variation in sound/tone with different tone woods as opposed to trim level.  Binding shouldn't affect the tone much at all but I know many swear the no frills, unbound, original P-01 parlors sound the best.  I owned one for a bit and have to admit that it did sound quite nice.  Probably the best I had tried in a Larrivee Parlor until I got the P-03.

Best advice I can give is to play as many as you can.  I, for one think they sound best in mahogany!  Super fun guitar to have in the lineup!
1986 Larrivee L-05

I have an 03 Satin Finish with Spruce top over flamed maple back and sides that I will never sell or trade. Definitely no frills and I really like the maple binding. These come up for sale on this forum so keep looking.

Someone is always disenchanted by the small size of a parlor but I am not among that group. I take it on car trips but have yet to take it on a plane but I am told it will fit into an overhead. My problem is that by the time I get onboard, the overhead compartments always seem to be full and I am not willing to take the chance even though I have a hardshell case. I have a Martin Backpacker and guitars to use in Seattle and Tennessee with each of my sons to fill in the gaps.

I have a P-05, and I like it a lot.  I fly with it often (on United).  It fits right in the overhead in an HSC.  It helps to get a window seat so you get to board earlier before the overhead space disappears.  Also, sometimes the crew outs it in the first class coat closet. 

Many swear that the satin finishes sound better.  For my part, I think it's just that they break in easier.  Larrivee uses a sturdy glossy finish that may give a guitar some "stiffness" when new, and it stands to reason that may apply even more with a small body.   Play it hard for a while, and an 05 will break in and sound great.  (Not that it sounds bad ever . . .)  If you have the option to try a few, that's great, but they sell fast in the used market, so you may need to jump on what you can find.  That's my 2 cents.   

Whatever you do, string it with mediums.  With the short scale, even with mediums it's less tension than lights on my OM. 

I have 3 Larrivee parlors. I will sell the P-03 (mahogany with abalone rosette) this year. It's a player, not a museum piece. (read: has a few cosmetic flaws.) Built in 2002.
But I have a hard case for it and I upgraded to a bone saddle & the tuners to Gotoh 510s.
here's a link to a few images.
$650 shipped to the continental US with Paypal to a "confirmed" address.
Contact me here if you are interested:
bsur2000@yahoo.com

Thanks for the offer - I think I will hold out for a P-01

did you see the one for sale at the AGF?  Not mine.  Looks nice.

jeff

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194191
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

Quote from: sayheyjeff on September 29, 2010, 08:56:37 PM
did you see the one for sale at the AGF?  Not mine.  Looks nice.

jeff
It sure does look nice and at very attractive price too! Just tuners upgrade cost about $100...
Is there a life beyond the third fret?!

Good tip on the AGF listing - I'll give them a holler

I just learned about a certain initiaton rite for newbies like me:

Time to make the  :donut  :donut2  :donut  :donut2  :donut  :donut2 !!!

Quote from: geodr on October 29, 2010, 10:56:56 PM
I just learned about a certain initiaton rite for newbies like me:

Time to make the  :donut  :donut2  :donut  :donut2  :donut  :donut2 !!!

I sent you an email about the P-01..

I am in the Oakland/Berkeley area, so we could make a local sale if you're interested in the guitar.

Hi all. I have a 2003 Koa Limited edition Parlor that looks like new to me. It's not being played so I am looking to see what these go for. It has a maple binding and a hard case.
I am new to this kind of site and am not sure if this is the right place to ask.
I have pics if you want to see her.

email: transluminary@me.com
Thank you,
Jamie

I have a P-01 mahogany parlor that I want to sell. It comes with a hardshell case and a gig bag. One slight ding but otherwise excellent condition. I have become hooked on banjo and fiddle and just don't play guitar anymore.

This parlor does have one problem. After I had it for a year or so--and even took classical lessons on it---I found out it was slightly sharp past the 4th or 5th fret. I had the truss rod adjusted and now most of the strings are slightly sharp past the 9th fret. I plan to take it in to the music store again to have it looked at since I want to sell it. Get in touch if you are interested.