WTB: Larrivee with Mermaid headstock

Started by guitom, February 11, 2010, 11:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefer an OM or L and no cutaway, but I'd consider any guitar with a mermaid headstock.  If you don't have one, but know of a store with one in stock, I'd appreciate that info too.

When I was in Oxnard, Jean showed me a couple of necks with mermaid headstocks, just waiting for someone to order a guitar to attach them to - Maybe an option? -  Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I have a 2003 LV-05 with a Mermaid headstock. It was my dream guitar and is still in pretty much unused condition, I just haven't had time to play it due to working, going back to school to complete my masters and raising a family. I am the original owner. Unfortunately, shortly after it was shipped to me I noticed a stress crack in the neck. Playability was excellent and the store said it was just in the finish, but I had my doubts....I called Larrivee and they gave me the option to send it to the factory or have my luthier do the repair as they recommended (great communication from Larrivee). I did not want to ship it again, so my luthier (excellent - go to person for most area musicians) put stress on it, injected hot glue and refinished. It takes a fine eye, under very close inspection, in the right light to notice it and it is now probably stronger than ever but I was sad to have had to get it done. My question is..how much is it now worth??

Quote from: Mermaid on March 23, 2010, 07:11:48 PM
My question is..how much is it now worth??

I'll give you $100 for it         :humour:

Really, because the V adds to the value I would guess $1100  give or take.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Though many don't like the bling of Wendy's headstock work (figures of people,animals), that is a an expensive option alone. Just sold my '93 L-10 Custom with female genie for $1500. Paid $2400 when it was built. Just an amazing guitar. But need some change in my life. HOG time, & some Italian Spruce & It. Walnut. Can't wait to her it.
  This economy will kill you. The price given you by Tuffy is pretty close, considering a nice Braz. L-10 went for $2900 a few weeks ago?
    Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Thank you for the input. I guess I will keep it, it plays beautifully and I would not be able to replcace it for the same $$$. It is a very comfortable guitar and looks new. I haven't even installed strap buttons yet.

I wonder what they are charging for these headstocks nowadays now that they are available once again. Anyone price it out?

My female genie is retired, but was posted here as about $1000 for headstock figure. Stopped taking orders around '06, still catching up. Alot of work goes into these, as you know. Back in '93, paid $600 for mine. Is still here @ my place, so I can refer to it as mine? Until I get the check & ship it? :bgrin:
   Don't sell it if you love it that much. Love mine, but think it's time for a change in what I play? And the bad thing is, $1100 might be low, but only by a few hundred? This economy! :crying:
     Jeff

Quote from: Mermaid on March 25, 2010, 12:02:24 PM
Thank you for the input. I guess I will keep it, it plays beautifully and I would not be able to replcace it for the same $$$. It is a very comfortable guitar and looks new. I haven't even installed strap buttons yet.

I wonder what they are charging for these headstocks nowadays now that they are available once again. Anyone price it out?

I understand if you want to keep it, but maybe you could post a picture if you are considering selling.  Actually, I think we'd all like to see the pictures even if you definitely want to keep it!

Yes, please? We all like pics. And doughnuts! :donut :donut :donut2 :donut :donut
    Jeff

Sorry to ask, but how do you post pics? I will include a pic of donut samples from the local Tim Horton's. :)

you can't post pics until you have 10 posts.  Email some to me at ben.freeman4 @ btinternet.com if you like, and I'll put them up for you.

:donut2
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: Mermaid on March 27, 2010, 02:32:37 PM
Sorry to ask, but how do you post pics? I will include a pic of donut samples from the local Tim Horton's. :)
Upload your pictures to photobucket then copy the "img" code into your post.

I was not thinking of the mermaid headstock inlay when I said $1100, just was thinking 2003 LV-05. With the mermaid inlay I would guess around $1500.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

How about the '93 L-10 Custom with retired female genie I just sold? Didn't get what it was worth, but any guess?
      Jeff

Hi Mermaid,

You mentioned Tim Hortons...
Where are you?

Quote from: Mermaid on March 23, 2010, 07:11:48 PM
I have a 2003 LV-05 with a Mermaid headstock. It was my dream guitar and is still in pretty much unused condition, I just haven't had time to play it due to working, going back to school to complete my masters and raising a family. I am the original owner. Unfortunately, shortly after it was shipped to me I noticed a stress crack in the neck. Playability was excellent and the store said it was just in the finish, but I had my doubts....I called Larrivee and they gave me the option to send it to the factory or have my luthier do the repair as they recommended (great communication from Larrivee). I did not want to ship it again, so my luthier (excellent - go to person for most area musicians) put stress on it, injected hot glue and refinished. It takes a fine eye, under very close inspection, in the right light to notice it and it is now probably stronger than ever but I was sad to have had to get it done. My question is..how much is it now worth??

I am from Prince Edward Island, Canada. We have a high proportion of Tim Horton donut shops vs population here.

I took Ben F up on his offer to post pics. Hopefully he can, but if he can't I will in the future. Thanks again for the info!

Sorry Mermaid, the email appeared in my spam folder for some reason and I had missed it.  Here are some of the pics.   :nice guitar: by the way, the headstock is beautiful.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

and 2 more

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Ben,  Nice joib posting those....tks!

Mermaid,  I really like the ribbony look of the sitka top in the first picture....  the headstock is.... nice too.
If you and your family aren't starving, keep that guitar and send me the Tim Horton's to dunk in my... :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

The fish lady's awfully fine!  :beer :donut (pretzel flavoured for beer dunking as I'll have no sweet starch)
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78