OM 21

Started by sutton, December 30, 2010, 09:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi gang,

I have a chance to trade a dread for a Martin OM 21 but I've never played one..my wife has an OM 03 and I like the body style..anybody out there have any experience with the 21?? 

Thanks Jon  :nana_guitar
Guild DV52
SD 40 MH

Sweet axe, a definitive spruce/rw OM, simple styling.

Which dread and is it one on your list and a straight up trade?

OM-21 is a fine guitar.

OM-21's are the best buy in the standard lineup for Martin. The one I had for a few years was excellent in tone and playability. Also it was constructed well and the bracing was light, allowing for more bass response. It had a larger sound than the Larrivee OM's.
       If your dread is a 03 series the OM-21 is worth more (as much as 1K in some cases) depending on the condition of each guitar. Also Martin's of this build don't lose value like other guitars do. If they are kept in good shape.

Thanks for the input Gang , TEH to answer your question, I'm trading a Martin D 18 Short Scale...
Guild DV52
SD 40 MH

I see you've got two D-18's.    I'd probably trade the D-18ss as long as you've got the standard D-18 too.   Martin OM-21's are pretty special guitars.   I don't know about the relative value between the two though.   

Yeah, as lovely both are sonically and visually,  the Short Scale :nice guitar:  doesn't have the "dry classic" sound of the staight braced 18 that somehow I need....
Guild DV52
SD 40 MH

I recently bought a 95 om21. The tone is much warmer than any larrivee but also than any new martin i played in shops. I love it. Warm and bassy but not muddy. And you can bring out all kinds of overtones. Definitely a non-larrivee guitar, and non-martin-dreadnought as well. Highly recommended.

I had a D-18 and never really bonded with it. I think the rosewood -21 will be a step up for you. I like the OMs body style and balance much better than the D. TRADE IT!!!

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Hey Jon, the OM-21 would be a great addition to your collection I think, as already stated the OM-21 is warm, rich articulate and has nice bass. Ive had mine for over a year, and its settled in nicely. Its my favorite guitar.

Ever.    :cheers

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Well I traded the D 18 SS for the OM 21.  It is a sweet guitar with a totally different feel to it.  I' do want to try some different bridge pins on it though...any thought on Ebony??  I have then on my reg D 18 and O3 Larry ...I'm asking cause I have no experience with them on rosewood...any thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Jon  :nice guitar:
Guild DV52
SD 40 MH

Quote from: sutton on January 04, 2011, 01:18:56 PM
Well I traded the D 18 SS for the OM 21.  It is a sweet guitar with a totally different feel to it.  I' do want to try some different bridge pins on it though...any thought on Ebony??  I have then on my reg D 18 and O3 Larry ...I'm asking cause I have no experience with them on rosewood...any thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Jon  :nice guitar:
I used ebony and carved the slot to fit the larger strings correctly. They worked well. I do think bone with MOP would look better though and would work great.

I own a Martin OM 21 and really find it to be a great guitar.  I use it for fingerstyle playing, but it can stand up to most dreds for regular strumming and flatpicking. It has the workmanship of the high-end Martins at a modest price.
Larrivee guitars include: Larrivee P 03R, L Tenor-40-mahogany, D-04 R, 00-03MH Vintage, L03ZW0, SO40RWO, 0040 Pearl Edition, OM03M with added Fishman, Larrivee L-03 plus many other makes and models in collection.

Thanks for all of your responses and "cheering on".  The OM 21 really is a suprising instrument.  I've only ever owned dreads and pretty much flatpick most of the time.  Last night I was picking away and my wife was upstairs with my new grandaughter and mentioned how loud the guitar sounded. 

It's a bit different with the wider nut but I really like the guitar...great overtones and bass for a smaller body. Also very comfortable!    :cheers  Jon
Guild DV52
SD 40 MH

Is an OM21 a good fingerstyle guitar?

Quote from: dependan on January 14, 2011, 10:16:18 AM
                                           YUP
:+1: