artist binges

Started by StringPicker6, December 12, 2023, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One of the things that I love about listening to so many different artists is that I get these artist cravings once in a while, and I re-discover the music and the love of that musician.  I am currently revisiting my John Prine albums, and I am in awe all over again at his lyrics and great music.  I wonder who I will crave to hear again next...   :beer
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Over the past week, the bulk of my playing time has been spent with my Larrivee Forum VI and my listening has been focused on Christmas tunes. It's hard to imagine but the song in the link below was released 50 years ago this year and has stood the test of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htigs7m3Opk

Here is a short list of eight other songs on my list in no particular order:

Circle of Steel by Gordon Lightfoot
In the Bleak Midwinter performed by Dan Fogelberg, James Taylor or Shawn Colvin
Christmas in the Trenches by John McCutcheon
Christmas for Cowboys written by Steve Weisberg and performed by John Denver
The Holly and the Ivy instrumental performed by Alex De Grassi
Ave Maria performed by Chet Atkins
Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star by the LA Guitar Quartet, not a Christmas song but fits the bill
Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie, more of a Thanksgiving song but worth a listen

Thanks for the Croce song and Gordon Lightfoot recommendation, I had never heard those songs before! 

Here's a video I found of an old John Prine playing with Jason Isbell.  I'm 99.999% sure Isbell is playing a Larrivee parlor!   :nice guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01TOHG71BTM
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

OK, the coffee has kicked in and I realized that Isbell most likely borrowed that Larrivee on stage from John Prine's longtime guitarist, Jason Wilbur. Wilbur is known to play a Larrivee p-03 without a pick guard.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

The three bingeworthy B's of rock and pop. Beatles, Band and Bob.  :beer

I'm listening to Kelly Joe Phelps.
Still. Again.
Used to see him every year when he came around. Got his chops playing jazz but his recordings are all old time blues and gospel and plenty of his originals.
Great acoustic player and tenor vocals.
In January 2013, he announced his retirement from touring due to ulnar neuropathy in his right hand and arm.
Sadly, he died at age 62 in May 2022.
He never knew the wide recognition he so richly deserved.
Scrub to 17:24 for some outstanding slide/resonator work.

I have a paid subscription with Tidal (similar to Spotify et al) and it's fun to binge on a band's entire catalog.  I've been binging on Collective Soul of late.