The New Crop of Hotshot Pickers.

Started by Silence Dogood, December 05, 2023, 07:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm not much for flashy pickers and tend to not pay much attn to them.  For example, Billy Strings is technically brilliant but I've not heard anything of his I'd want to listen to twice.  Probably my loss but still. 

The other night my DVR had a rerun episode of Woodosngs from about five years ago on it. Molly Tuttle was the featured artists.  I had heard of her but had sort of dismissed her as yet another flashy picker.  But I have to say I was genuinely moved by her performance.  I watched one of the songs a couple times and have been YouTubing her since.  She's not just flash but has good songs, and her playing is so melodic and tasteful. 

Here is the song that really grabbed me (though not done here on Woodsongs):

https://youtu.be/_OSfE6wk6-8?feature=shared

Just watch those little tasty licks she does and how well it all fits into that song.  She is a real master of the instrument.  I'm impressed!

Here is another example from the current crop of hotshot pickers: Sierra Hull, mostly known for her mandolin chops, but here doing a ridiculously beautiful and simple song on acoustic guitar.  Notice her absolute control and command of simple chords and how she coaxes everything she can out of them effortlessly. This is my absolute favorite kind of guitar playing. The bridge on this song really grabs me.

https://youtu.be/UymjeS5ZPWA?feature=shared

Molly has been doing it all her life because of her family. I get the impression that she's not really enthused about people wanting her to show off her chops. The only time I've ever seen her really come alive is when talking about songwriting and working with musicians on new material.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on December 05, 2023, 07:18:52 AMI'm not much for flashy pickers and tend to not pay much attn to them.  For example, Billy Strings is technically brilliant but I've not heard anything of his I'd want to listen to twice.  Probably my loss but still. 

The other night my DVR had a rerun episode of Woodosngs from about five years ago on it. Molly Tuttle was the featured artists.  I had heard of her but had sort of dismissed her as yet another flashy picker.  But I have to say I was genuinely moved by her performance.  I watched one of the songs a couple times and have been YouTubing her since.  She's not just flash but has good songs, and her playing is so melodic and tasteful. 

Here is the song that really grabbed me (though not done here on Woodsongs):

https://youtu.be/_OSfE6wk6-8?feature=shared

Just watch those little tasty licks she does and how well it all fits into that song.  She is a real master of the instrument.  I'm impressed!

Billy and Molly are great together. However, I can't see how you can write him off. He's pretty darn terrific.

"I'm not much for flashy pickers and tend to not pay much attn to them.  For example, Billy Strings is technically brilliant, but I've not heard anything of his I'd want to listen to twice. Probably my loss but still."

I kind of agree with this statement. I am impressed by these singer guitarists who can accompany themselves with more than just strumming. I am however not a singer / guitarist. When I listen to tunes like this, I don't see any possibility of using them as just an instrumental. So, when I look at a tune, it needs to be something melodically and harmonically that has some possibilities without the lyrics. I think Sierra Hull is better served in this video. She has chosen a tune that is well known, has a great melodic line, and can be used as a song or as an instrumental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2OONs5Hhs

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 05, 2023, 10:38:46 AMBilly and Molly are great together. However, I can't see how you can write him off. He's pretty darn terrific.
Agreed, he's a terrific player (understatement).  I just don't care for the songs. Admittedly, part of it is the aesthetic and vibe he and his band have that is off-putting to me: the hippie, pot-smoking, lack of basic hygiene, etc is something I can't get into.  I realize I'm a square and I'm good with that.  He has a huge audience and I think it's great how he's putting the acoustic guitar out there. I'm just not into it.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on December 05, 2023, 11:01:01 AMAgreed, he's a terrific player (understatement).  I just don't care for the songs. Admittedly, part of it is the aesthetic and vibe he and his band have that is off-putting to me: the hippie, pot-smoking, lack of basic hygiene, etc is something I can't get into.  I realize I'm a square and I'm good with that.  He has a huge audience and I think it's great how he's putting the acoustic guitar out there. I'm just not into it.

LOL. Well, I long since cut my hair (pace David Crosby) and swear I never inhaled (pace Bill Clinton) but, perhaps, am more kindly towards the scruffy.   :ph34r:

Quote from: William2 on December 05, 2023, 10:56:58 AM"I'm not much for flashy pickers and tend to not pay much attn to them.  For example, Billy Strings is technically brilliant, but I've not heard anything of his I'd want to listen to twice. Probably my loss but still."

I kind of agree with this statement. I am impressed by these singer guitarists who can accompany themselves with more than just strumming. I am however not a singer / guitarist. When I listen to tunes like this, I don't see any possibility of using them as just an instrumental. So, when I look at a tune, it needs to be something melodically and harmonically that has some possibilities without the lyrics. I think Sierra Hull is better served in this video. She has chosen a tune that is well known, has a great melodic line, and can be used as a song or as an instrumental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf2OONs5Hhs
Great performance there for sure!  The fellow she has on bass there is the same guy that was playing with Molly on Woodsongs. That dude gets around!