Bob Dylan Sells his Entire Catalogue of 600 Songs

Started by Queequeg, December 07, 2020, 12:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, the word's out now.
I've been outbid.
Universal bought the publishing rights to the entire Dylan collection spanning more than 60 years.
Undisclosed, but estimated at $300M.
I couldn't justify going any higher due to my advanced age and expect a decent ROI.
:humour:

I'm surprised that he would let these out of his hands. IIRC he went through a lot to regain control of his songs. Can't see why he would do it. Can't need the money. Can he?  :?

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 07, 2020, 02:26:56 PM
I'm surprised that he would let these out of his hands. IIRC he went through a lot to regain control of his songs. Can't see why he would do it. Can't need the money. Can he?  :?
Dylan has been very savvy financially over the years according to what I heard today.
A 9-figure payday has to be enticing.
He'd be a long time earning that on streaming royalties.
Maybe this is the tipping point and he figures they're worth more today than a year or more from now.

Quote from: Queequeg on December 07, 2020, 04:04:24 PM
Dylan has been very savvy financially over the years according to what I heard today.
A 9-figure payday has to be enticing.
He'd be a long time earning that on streaming royalties.
Maybe this is the tipping point and he figures they're worth more today than a year or more from now.

I guess. I wonder if he had a word with McCartney first. Anyway, I hadn't heard of the impending sale or I might have sold a guitar or two and joined you in a bidding war. But Dylan? He never calls, he never writes.   :beer

Reminds me of "Bowie Bonds" - "Bowie bonds were first issued in 1997 when David Bowie partnered with Prudential Insurance Company and raised $55 million by promising investors income generated by his back catalog of 25 albums."

Bowie was among the first to pull this off - https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bowie-bond.asp

Great idea to monetize his career to fund his retirement. I'm sure my back catalogue would bring in a very large negative number  :beer
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist