Want to change tuners but keep the Larrivee logo of the original

Started by R Mellow, November 10, 2008, 08:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm fabulously happy with my new L-03R but I'm not too pleased with the tuners, which I believe are called Ping. They're Ok ish but on the G string it's very slack and i anticipate further problems.  I don't want to get into this too much, but for such a great guitar I don't think that there should have been any cost cutting on the hardware. Add 30, 40 or $50 to the price if necessary but put on a decent set of tuners. So, I want to change them. Firstly, which tuners are direct drop in replacements, and secondly, i do like the fact that the tuners have larrivee on the back > Is there any way to swap this back plate and put them on the new tuners without too much complication or potential damage?
Even better would be to get original larrivee branded tuners of the better sort.
Does anyone know if the higher end tuners can be ordered direct from Larrivee?

Most members use the Gotoh 510's as replacments for paddle-head style pings.  direct drop-ins.
I don't know how you could keep the Larrivee logo though.
These aren't available from Larrivee, by the way.  Try StewMac.

Tuffythepug

This gives me an idea. I've a crap old guitar that has great tuners. I need to find out what the drop in guitars are for those tuners!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

The backs on sealed tuners are pressed in.  Doubt you could get them out without wrecking them.

Quote from: R Mellow on November 10, 2008, 08:07:43 AM
I'm fabulously happy with my new L-03R but I'm not too pleased with the tuners, which I believe are called Ping. They're Ok ish but on the G string it's very slack and i anticipate further problems.  I don't want to get into this too much, but for such a great guitar I don't think that there should have been any cost cutting on the hardware. Add 30, 40 or $50 to the price if necessary but put on a decent set of tuners. So, I want to change them. Firstly, which tuners are direct drop in replacements, and secondly, i do like the fact that the tuners have larrivee on the back > Is there any way to swap this back plate and put them on the new tuners without too much complication or potential damage?
Even better would be to get original larrivee branded tuners of the better sort.
Does anyone know if the higher end tuners can be ordered direct from Larrivee?
It would be an undertaking you wouldn't want to proceed with after you had destroyed 2 or 3 tuners.
      If you want to keep it Larrivee original. Just order the Schallers which are currently being used on some of the Larrivees. They don't say "Larrivee". But they come from Larrivee and are nice tuners. Save your old knobs if they are ebony and you like that look. The Schallers look the same except they are chrome.
                                                           Danny

I replaced the Ping tuners on my D-09 with the black anodized Gotoh 510s. They drop right in with no drilling. It took me at most a 1/2 hour to change them out. No insight on the logos unfortunately.

Gotoh makes great tuners. My Elitist EB3 has Gotohs too. They are very precise and stable tuners.
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

Take 'em to a jeweler and have 'em engraved.

Tom
'73 Gibson Hummingbird,'98 Ovation Std. Balladeer, '99 Martin 000-1, '00 Taylor 355, '01 Larrivee Parlor, MIM P-bass, '06 Rainsong AWS-1000

Pings are mince.  The schallers are good tuners, very precise, but the don't say Larrivee.  I put faux ivory buttons on mine, which looks ace next to the ivoroid neck binding.  I can't fault them at all, but am looking to put the Gotohs on my OM-03 soon because I think the gold ones will go very nicely with the Sapele back and sides.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Ok, pony up. I know larrivee sell the tuners, but where did you get the buttons? Cause they are awesome. A lot.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/rothesay-music

Awesome quality too, all hand made, they do Koa, Tortoise shell, Rosewood, Walnut etc.etc. too.  Pricey though.  The mini ones are very small - get the normal sized ones.

The store appears to ship to the US now as well (for not very much), which it didn't the last time I checked.

Ben

Better pic below: -

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Yep they ship to the USA. Got my tortoise back this summer from them. awesome quality. Quick service too.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065